Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Characters Who Released Music

Started by TheMonk, May 12, 2019, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Lenny Henry did a record as Delbert Wilkins called "Crucial Times" but it's not on YouTube and it doesn't turn up on discogs. I could only find the mp3 on soulseek.

TheMonk

Looks like Ronnie Barker as Norman Stanley Fletcher released the Going Straight theme as a single.
https://youtu.be/PTMcTMckHwE

NoSleep

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 13, 2019, 11:17:47 PM
Bloody hell! I notice on the back of the 7" there's an address for the Marvin Deprecation Society. I wonder what you got if you wrote to them?

EDIT: apparently, details of why you shouldn't join, but if you persisted, you could buy a poster. http://members.tripod.com/martin_leese/Marvin/marvin_fanclub.html

Oh, he just typed it out.  Here's a scan of the actual letter.  (The crumpled effect was printed on the paper.)
(Open images in a new window to embiggen.)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: buzby on May 14, 2019, 01:26:44 PM
That's the feller, I'm getting two things conflated - VLS did use Arthur Mullard as a comedy vehicle, but the Smiths thing was Bernard Manning (on The Word, I think?)

I have a memory of seeing that ad in an actual ad break.  It was years later that someone corrected me and said it was shown on The Word.  Did The Word perhaps show it at the start or end of an real ad break to give the illusion of it being real??

Uncle TechTip

Possibly on TV Offal, which was always similar time to the Word? He would definitely have done this sort of thing on that show.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 13, 2019, 08:08:57 PM
As a teenager, I spent £25 buying a rare VHS of the music video.  It was awful.

It's on one of the smeg ups tapes.

Absorb the anus burn

McChesney Duntz

Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas as Bob & Doug McKenzie - the quite unexpectedly popular characters from the otherwise-resolutely-cult classic SCTV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI

Followed in short order by an EP by Joe Flaherty's brilliant SCTV late-night-horror-host character, Count Floyd, which tanked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtMb6VIC8w

From the same period: SNL cast member Joe Piscopo turning his best character - Frank Sinatra - into an amusing 12" single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKT7cJGpY4

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 14, 2019, 06:16:49 PM
Possibly on TV Offal, which was always similar time to the Word? He would definitely have done this sort of thing on that show.

It was on Jonathon Ross's Friday Night show when he used to be on Channel 4.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2019, 06:18:10 PM
It's on one of the smeg ups tapes.

Aye, but the official VHS of the 'Tongue Tied' music video which I spent way too much money on buying, also included a shitty 25 minute 'making of' featurette which was nowhere to be found on the Smeg Ups tape, so needless to say, I had the last laugh...

(in actuality, I didn't have the last laugh.  What I had was buyer's remorse)

kalowski

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 12, 2019, 11:14:35 PM
An entire album from these Two Ronnies characters.  Nobody needed this. 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Two-Ronnies-Jehosophat-And-Jones/release/1545741
Come in. It might be rubbish but that's a great cover. Ronnie Barker doesn't have to do much to make me laugh.

St_Eddie

Bobtoo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 13, 2019, 01:16:56 AM
I bet Ricky "Gervais" Brent was egotistical enough to have released some music "in character" (so you can't criticize it for being shit, yeah, because it's a satire, yeah?) but fuck actually looking that up.

Yes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Road-David-Brent/dp/B01H2UZP0U/ref=sr_1_1?crid=IPUJXTYLCMBF&keywords=david+brent+cd&qid=1557869994&s=gateway&sprefix=david+brent%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1

non capisco

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 14, 2019, 05:18:52 PM
Oh, he just typed it out.  Here's a scan of the actual letter.  (The crumpled effect was printed on the paper.)

Cheers, JAYB. Any evidence of that shirt's existence appears not to have made it to the internet age, which now means I'm going to join a bunch of HHGTTG fangroups and hope one of them has one. I do have a copy of the Apple II version of the game, which comes with peril-sensitive sunglasses, an invisible space-fleet, and all that.

Sorry for dragging this off-topic. But I'm really quite surprised all this existed and I never knew about it, what with how big a fan I was.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 12, 2019, 10:47:29 PM

Merely an hors d'oeuvre!

Actually I wish all The Young Ones had recorded solo albums, and released them on the same day, like Kiss.

TheMonk

Digging into the suggestions here took me to this.
Jim Bowen doing Walk The Dinosaur.
Super smashing great.
https://youtu.be/g4ONAS-964E

Panbaams

sponk

Has the loadsamoney single been mentioned yet? Never listened to it but I'm sure it exists. So does Hello John Got a New Motor which was I think was Sayled to an advert for Toshiba.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sponk on May 15, 2019, 03:45:06 PM
How could you get your foot in if there wasn't?

Don't ask me, ask The Manpower Services CommissionTraffic's Dave Mason!

Gulftastic

Quote from: sponk on May 15, 2019, 03:44:13 PM
Has the loadsamoney single been mentioned yet? Never listened to it but I'm sure it exists. So does Hello John Got a New Motor which was I think was Sayled to an advert for Toshiba.

Yeah, I've got it on VHS somewhere. The video features an almost  impossibly fresh faced Charlie Higson and an alreafy old faced looking Paul Whiyehouse.

And yes 'Hello Tosh, got a Toshiba...' existed.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2019, 12:05:01 AM
The Fresh Prince's Parents Just Don't Understand seemed more like it was from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air than an actual Fresh Prince/Will Smith song.

From the episode where Carlton built a time machine and they travelled back to three years before the show started, to record the song.

-

A variety of Antipodean characters managed to transform their persona into solid gold on black wax.

Mrs Edna Everage released various singles over the decades before and after her Damehood, including True British Spunk (excerpt here), and frequently covered/reinterpreted pop hits on record, sometimes with the help of other greats.

Her occasional opener Les Patterson dropped a couple in the '80s, including Give Her One For Christmas, from the long-playing 12 Inches Of Les.

New Zealand's Fred Dagg released some songs on 7" in addition to sketch/monologue on LP

When variety / comedy host characters Tim & Debbie released an album of bits largely drawn from their appearances on Australia You're Standing In It, they included very bad fake punk / new wave song I Want To Go Back To The Womb by Bo Dribler & The Sooks

Australia's only popular hit catchphrase-comedy sketch show The Comedy Company chanced their arm after schoolgirl character Kylie Mole's nomencular inspiration had a few pop records out, and managed a top ten hit with So Excellent. A followup effort by Greek market salesman Con The Fruiterer, known for holding up a mirror to multicultural Australia with nuance and senstivity, only managed one week at #49, based on A Cuppla Days' sales.

Speaking of sensitivity and nuance, Chris Lilley's drama teacher character Mr. G released a single of Naughty Girl, a plot element from Summer Heights High; his rapper character S.mouse later released three singles, including Squashed Nigga. (With his finger ever on the pulse, Lilley re-promoted this years later, tying in with the manslaughter trial of a 56-year-old white man who had chased, run over and killed an indigenous 14-y-o on a child's motorbike.)

"The 12th Man," the name under which Billy Birmingham released comedy records of TV cricket commentators, branched out with a rap single voiced by M.C.G. Hammer

The radio hosts of Club Veg, who littered their shows with sketches and songs, released a 1988 album including songs by regular characters erm... St John Smythe? it's been 31 years, sorry, and Barry Dink with The Yuppie Rap.

jobotic

I have a version of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf narrated by Edna Everage. Never listened to it though so i don't know if just him doing it in her voice or if it's a comedy routine.

studpuppet

Quote from: buzby on May 14, 2019, 11:43:05 AM

...Unfortunately after his death in 1995 it was revealed by his children that he had subjected his wife to years of physical and mental abuse (resulting in her death from a sleeping tablet overdose in 1961) and sexually abused his daughter from the age of 13.

All of which reminds me of this masterly Wimblewrong from a couple of years ago (apologies for not crediting who did it - Nagsworth maybe?)

studpuppet