Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Characters Who Released Music

Started by TheMonk, May 12, 2019, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

Comic Book Guy releases Bleeding Gums Murphy's LP from his display cabinet when Bart gives him $500.

a duncandisorderly

fourth page & no ollie halsall et al? for shame...

JesusAndYourBush

I'm embarrassed to say I bought the single...

a duncandisorderly

buzby

Quote from: sponk on May 15, 2019, 03:44:13 PM
Has the loadsamoney single been mentioned yet? Never listened to it but I'm sure it exists. So does Hello John Got a New Motor which was I think was Sayled to an advert for Toshiba.
The Toshiba advert song was a rip-off of Sayle's record, and was performed by Ian Dury.

TheMonk

Not quite a comedy character, but Worzel Gummidge had a single that was chilling. A mariachi song telling kids they might end up dead if they talked to strangers. Can't find it though.

olliebean

Quote from: TheMonk on May 17, 2019, 01:35:42 PM
Not quite a comedy character, but Worzel Gummidge had a single that was chilling. A mariachi song telling kids they might end up dead if they talked to strangers. Can't find it though.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBSU0JYwIvo

non capisco

Everything about that is disquieting, not least of all the key change towards the end.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on May 17, 2019, 05:31:48 PM
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBSU0JYwIvo

"No matter what is said, you could just end up dead"  *cue the cheerful trumpets*

A bit rich of Worzel Gummidge to lecture children on the finer points of stranger danger, given that he, as a stranger, was only too happy to befriend two children.  Especially given that perhaps the biggest danger of all is a middle-aged homeless man with straw stuffed down his pants.  Still, it's a worthy life lesson in general, I suppose.  After all, they're never too young to drill a lifelong crippling phobia of other people into their tiny fertile minds.

St_Eddie

I also just noticed that I've got a comment underneath that Worzel Gummidge YouTube video from a year ago and yet, I genuinely have zero recollection of having ever listened to that song before.

Quote from: casapalmeraResearch shows that physical and emotional trauma can directly affect your memory.

Hmm.

Avid Merrion released at least two singles.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 18, 2019, 11:37:23 AM

And yet Leigh Francis still walks this Earth as a free man.

Bongo_Christ

Julian Barratt released a single in character as Richard Thorncroft to promote Mindhorn a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIgSw_26Nko

jenna appleseed

Quote from: TheMonk on May 17, 2019, 01:35:42 PM

way back in Record Collector history The Bicker Man's rant column was about crap Jon Pertwee / Worzel singles (probable that one) including him adapting yankee doodle man as I'm the Noodle Doodle Man to advertise a long defunct brand of spaghetti shapes, and ended up calling Noodle doodles "alphabetti spaghetti for illiterates".

(off topic but another line from that column I still love, & remember was the parody lyrics from a complaint about the try hard angst  of Pappa Roach etc. "cut my food into pieces, this is my knife and fork")

Gulftastic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 18, 2019, 11:37:23 AM

Aye. My cousin co-wrote the Xmas one. He did quite well out of it every Xmas for a good few years. The royalties have slowed to a trickle now, sadly.

DrGreggles

Proper Crimbo? That wasn't even that awful!

I mean, it was no good, but it wasn't  that awful.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

You could, if you could be bothered, argue that every record The Monkees put out qualifies as music made by comedy characters, as they all sprang from a sitcom in which the band - who weren't really a band initially - played funny fictional versions of themselves.

Except they aren't actually singing, writing or playing in character on those records, and apart from a couple of ignoble exceptions - Gonna Buy Me a Dog and Your Auntie Grizelda - the songs aren't comedic in intent.

So it's a bollocks theory, albeit one I'd still like to add to the grand pantheon of bollocks theories posted on the internet.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 19, 2019, 09:57:33 PM
You could, if you could be bothered, argue that every record The Monkees put out qualifies as music made by comedy characters, as they all sprang from a sitcom in which the band - who weren't really a band initially - played funny fictional versions of themselves.

Except they aren't actually singing, writing or playing in character on those records, and apart from a couple of ignoble exceptions - Gonna Buy Me a Dog and Your Auntie Grizelda - the songs aren't comedic in intent.

So it's a bollocks theory, albeit one I'd still like to add to the grand pantheon of bollocks theories posted on the internet.

good job you qualified that with the 'in character' bit. I was about to raise hell.

sponk

Quote from: buzby on May 17, 2019, 01:17:20 PM
The Toshiba advert song was a rip-off of Sayle's record, and was performed by Ian Dury.

Interesting fact. Toshiba must have paid Sayle for the rights though.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: studpuppet on May 16, 2019, 10:49:24 AM
All of which reminds me of this masterly Wimblewrong from a couple of years ago (apologies for not crediting who did it - Nagsworth maybe?)

Who are the two chaps between Cliff, DLT & Rolf?

The upper one looks a bit like Derren Brown but obviously can't be, and have no idea about the lower one.

I know I'm going to kick myself.

buzby

Quote from: sponk on May 22, 2019, 08:43:53 PM
Interesting fact. Toshiba must have paid Sayle for the rights though.
Nope. You don't need to pay anyone to record a cover their record. If you cover it unchanged they would get royalties from it each time it was played, but as they changed the lyrics Alexei got nothing from it. He mentions it in the second volume of his autobiography 'Thatcher Stole My Trousers'.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 23, 2019, 03:08:11 PM
Who are the two chaps between Cliff, DLT & Rolf?

The upper one looks a bit like Derren Brown but obviously can't be, and have no idea about the lower one.

I know I'm going to kick myself.

I don't know about the lower one but the Derren Brown looking fella is Louis C.K. (Wankbeast).

kalowski