Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

3 Faces (new film from Jafar Panahi)

Started by zomgmouse, May 13, 2019, 05:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Jafar Panahi is still under a ban from making films but has made a new one anyway, the cheeky shit.

Panahi plays himself (which we've come to expect, really), and brings in an Iranian actress to play herself as well - the plot involves a missing girl who has allegedly committed suicide because her parents wouldn't let her go to university to study to become an actress, and sent her video suicide note to Panahi and the actress, so they drive to the girl's village to investigate.

It's fantastically suspenseful and gripping, and an agonising insight into a culture of traditions, and it's moving without being hard-nosed or preachy about it.

Very very recommended.

rasta-spouse

Watching his Taxi fim re-kindled my interest in Iranian cinema, so looking forward to seeing this.

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 13, 2019, 05:58:33 AM
Jafar Panahi is still under a ban from making films but has made a new one anyway, the cheeky shit.

How does he get around the ban? One of the films was smuggled out of Iran inside a cake, they said. And Taxi could just be dashcam footage, I guess (obviously it's not, it's so well orchestrated). Does he just shoot stuff and tell the authorities it's home video? From what he's said about being imprisoned and interrogated it seems quite serious.

zomgmouse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on May 14, 2019, 09:57:50 AM
How does he get around the ban? One of the films was smuggled out of Iran inside a cake, they said. And Taxi could just be dashcam footage, I guess (obviously it's not, it's so well orchestrated). Does he just shoot stuff and tell the authorities it's home video? From what he's said about being imprisoned and interrogated it seems quite serious.

Honestly, not sure. This Is Not a Film was cheekily co-directed and other people were always in charge of the camera (except at the end). Tehran Taxi is "just" dashcam footage so maybe he gets away with that. Haven't seen Closed Curtain so not sure there. 3 Faces though - he's technically the director and everything. But maybe he gets around it by appearing as himself? It takes tremendous gall.