Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeremy Kyle #CANCELLED

Started by JesusAndYourBush, May 13, 2019, 11:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 15, 2019, 11:30:15 AMA lot of tweets calling for Love Island to be cancelled as well, as two of the contestants have since committed suicide. Seems to be motivated by right-wing whataboutism. The man's suicide was directly as a result of what happened to him on The Jeremy Kyle Show. It's very different.

I don't pay attention to Love Island, but wasn't there an implication that those suicides were related to distress caused by being on the show?

(The boyfriend of one victim also killed theirself later.)

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 15, 2019, 11:48:22 AMThose defending Kyle should consider why so many people go on the show. If we had a proper Welfare State with a safety net people wouldn't need to appear on TV to get help.

Having production companies and TV stations actively exploiting people is not a direct corollary of the state of the system, don't absolve their actions.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: the on May 15, 2019, 11:57:16 AM
I don't pay attention to Love Island, but wasn't there an implication that those suicides were related to distress caused by being on the show?

Is that the show itself or the general pressures of sudden fame?

sponk

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 15, 2019, 11:30:15 AM
A lot of tweets calling for Love Island to be cancelled as well, as two of the contestants have since committed suicide. Seems to be motivated by right-wing whataboutism. The man's suicide was directly as a result of what happened to him on The Jeremy Kyle Show. It's very different.

Pretty quick to make that judgement considering the inquest hasn't even started yet.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sponk on May 15, 2019, 12:01:35 PM
Pretty quick to make that judgement considering the inquest hasn't even started yet.

This is based on what's been reported. If these people believe this story, they probably shouldn't compare it with Love Island.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2019, 11:42:14 AM
Would it be like Vivienne Vyle?
After checking youtube- yes but funny.

But all this means is that a new show will come along and the same people get sucked in but now it will be 'kinder' and more like 90's Oprah. Tabloid but with a feel good factor.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: the on May 15, 2019, 11:57:16 AM

Having production companies and TV stations actively exploiting people is not a direct corollary of the state of the system, don't absolve their actions.

I'm not absolving them of their actions, but we do have to question why so many people would turn to such a harmful show in the first place in the belief that they would find help.

We should also criticise, as well as Kyle and the production company and TV station, those who were happy to advertise on the show and those who were happy to be in the audience and those who watched the show.

Barry Admin

Blimey
Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2019, 11:42:14 AM
Would it be like Vivienne Vyle?

I was just coming to post a clip, 12 years old it is now.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0aamT-oYpRw

Amazing. Perfect.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 15, 2019, 12:05:37 PM
After checking youtube- yes but funny.

But all this means is that a new show will come along and the same people get sucked in but now it will be 'kinder' and more like 90's Oprah. Tabloid but with a feel good factor.

Yes, once the storm dies down it will just start up again. Consider how long this show has been pumping out poison before there was an outcry. So many people in Britain are happy for this kind of show to be on television, and that is very concerning. There should be a grass roots activist movement protesting against exploitative TV shows.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 15, 2019, 12:05:37 PM

Just make it fake and crazy like Jerry Springer. That was fun.

Urinal Cake

It will need makeovers, gifts and doggos.

bgmnts

Can't believe it took someone to die for this to get cancelled.

'Kin 'ell.

the

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 15, 2019, 11:59:50 AMIs that the show itself or the general pressures of sudden fame?

As I say, I don't know the show. They could make you shove a spunky turnip up your arse for money for all I know.

The point is that, for everything that makes it to the final edit, there is a prolonged backstage ordeal that doesn't, and (as people are testifying about Jeremy Kyle) who's to say that that isn't part of what stays with these people once the cameras are off. We may yet find out.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 15, 2019, 12:05:37 PMBut all this means is that a new show will come along and the same people get sucked in but now it will be 'kinder' and more like 90's Oprah. Tabloid but with a feel good factor.

Highly likely.

What I find bonkers is people saying things like 'bring back Kilroy/Trisha' (admittedly probably tongue in cheek) - the idea that a scheduling hole formed by one show must be filled by an almost identical format from yesteryear. Because there isn't enough homogeneity in TV! Show some fucking Tex Avery cartoons or a programme about music or something.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 15, 2019, 12:06:02 PMWe should also criticise, as well as Kyle and the production company and TV station, those who were happy to advertise on the show and those who were happy to be in the audience and those who watched the show.

What about people who were near people watching the show? I feel a radius of culpability should be established.

imitationleather

I reckon they should replace it with Reddit: The TV Show.

ajsmith2

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 15, 2019, 11:30:15 AM
A lot of tweets calling for Love Island to be cancelled as well, as two of the contestants have since committed suicide. Seems to be motivated by right-wing whataboutism.

I don't see how this really works as a right wing argument. Is Love Island as a show some kind of bastion of left wing values? No it's not, so how is it a meaningful comparison? I know a lot of it is Katie Hopkins and people like that just doing it for the controversy first and think it through later/never, but is a show as sleazy and grubby as Kyle supposed to be something the British right are proud of and should stand up for in this equation? I don't doubt that it is enjoyed by many on the right as a punching down entertainment bonanza, but more as a guilty pleasure framed to themselves as 'watching with morbid fascination as standards decline/the poor are worse then me' with Kyle himself at best a complicit opportunist. It's bizarre to see them nakedly support and po facedly eulogise something so trashy and tawdry like it's Winstons Churchill's legacy, they're meant to at least hide such urges behind a veneer of a moral high ground.

Utter Shit

As hateful as Jeremy Kyle is, as morally bankrupt as his show was, and as brilliant as it is that the show has been fucked off...it did deliver two of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life, one after the other. First one starts at about 25s, the second is at 48s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3NCBDEhw1Q

So maybe I am a hypocrite.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 15, 2019, 12:22:22 PM
I don't see how this really works as a right wing argument. Is Love Island as a show some kind of bastion of left wing values? No it's not, so how is it a meaningful comparison? I know a lot of it is Katie Hopkins and people like that just doing it for the controversy first and think it through later/never, but is a show as sleazy and grubby as Kyle supposed to be something the British right are proud of and should stand up for in this equation? I don't doubt that it is enjoyed by many on the right as a punching down entertainment bonanza, but more as a guilty pleasure framed to themselves as 'watching with morbid fascination as standards decline/the poor are worse then me' with Kyle himself at best a complicit opportunist. It's bizarre to see them nakedly support and po facedly eulogise something so trashy and tawdry like it's Winstons Churchill's legacy, they're meant to at least hide such urges behind a veneer of a moral high ground.

Well yeah, that's what I mean. It's more of a tactic than an argument. They see outrage build online and they have to counteract.

Fambo Number Mive

This person didn't work on Jeremy Kyle, but still quite an interesting read (worked on another daytime TV show): https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/15/jeremy-kyle-cruelty-guests-death-show-tv

Icehaven

Quote from: the on May 15, 2019, 12:20:16 PM

What I find bonkers is people saying things like 'bring back Kilroy/Trisha' (admittedly probably tongue in cheek) - the idea that a scheduling hole formed by one show must be filled by an almost identical format from yesteryear. Because there isn't enough homogeneity in TV! Show some fucking Tex Avery cartoons or a programme about music or something.

I suppose the thinking is that there's audience for it, however a fair chunk of that audience probably tuned in specifically for the car crash lives on show and cruelty dished out on Kyle's show, and won't be interested in something less extreme that effectively dials it back a bit to the milder style that came before.

the

Quote from: icehaven on May 15, 2019, 01:48:17 PMI suppose the thinking is that there's audience for it,

Well that's the bit I find mad, general people who think like TV schedulers and commissioners (who are both unwilling and managerially incapable of doing anything outside of the established menu).

Quote from: icehaven on May 15, 2019, 01:48:17 PMhowever a fair chunk of that audience probably tuned in specifically for the car crash lives on show and cruelty dished out on Kyle's show, and won't be interested in something less extreme that effectively dials it back a bit to the milder style that came before.

They'll get what they're given, and telly knows it.

poo

Member when we could all laugh at the chavs. They were the days.

Lord Mandrake

Hope Foxy bingo will be ok.

thenoise

Kyle's audience will be satisfied with Simon Cowell shattering deluded hopefuls on X factor. Hahaha a 43 year old factory worker from Ipswich thinks she might amount to something. Put her in her place Simon! #classictelly

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: bgmnts on May 15, 2019, 12:18:05 PM
Can't believe it took someone to die for this to get cancelled.

'Kin 'ell.

Beforehand one could say, "what's the problem? No-one's died, have they?" Can't even do that now.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on May 15, 2019, 03:02:17 PM
Hope Foxy bingo will be ok.

My mum used to clean for an old lady who'd tune into Kyle religiously because she enjoyed the Foxy Bingo ads. "I think he's brilliant" she'd coo. Hated the Kyle show, but she'd sit through it just so she didn't miss the Foxy bits.

sponk

I love the fact that the original statement tried to give the impression that they didn't air the episode out of respect for the dead but maybe it won't be aired to save Kyle and ITV's blushes by hiding their potential culpability in the bloke's death.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Alberon on May 15, 2019, 10:39:09 AM
Hides in a wheelie bin next to a Weatherspoons shouting 'wanker' at them and ducking back down when they turn to look.

Do it like Billy Bleach on The Fast Show, approaching punters in Spoons and berating them for not working the fruity properly. Kyle gradually descends into the throes of his old alcohol/gambling addiction and ends up screaming in the subject's face about how they're a waster and they stole 50p off him and their parents should have put something on the end of it.

the

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 15, 2019, 03:23:10 PMMy mum used to clean for an old lady who'd tune into Kyle religiously because she enjoyed the Foxy Bingo ads. "I think he's brilliant" she'd coo. Hated the Kyle show, but she'd sit through it just so she didn't miss the Foxy bits.

Ironically yes, the character design and animatronics of the fox are great.

That was something else that stinks - Kyle, someone who's battled gambling addiction, will happily endorse and take the dollar of a company spreading that same misery around countless others.

But enough about The Sun

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: the on May 15, 2019, 03:32:44 PM
Ironically yes, the character design and animatronics of the fox are great.

That was something else that stinks - Kyle, someone who's battled gambling addiction, will happily endorse and take the dollar of a company spreading that same misery around countless others.

But enough about The Sun

See also: Paul Merson advertising Sky Bet.