Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeremy Kyle #CANCELLED

Started by JesusAndYourBush, May 13, 2019, 11:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 11:26:13 PM
Did anyone listen to Jezza's Confessions, his radio phone in show in the early 00's? I did a bit and I remember liking it / him, though I was probably a pre-teen at the time. One for the Obvious Things thread because it took me several years to realise both Jezzas were the same.

In about 1997 he had a phone in show on BRMB - "Late and Live with Jezza", back when Jezza was all he was with no mention of the Kyle and, yes, like you, it was quite a long time after becoming aware of Jeremy Kyle that I connected the dots.

I was in the first year of secondary school when that radio show was on, and we mainly used to listen to it because there were very slightly naughty words and rude content in it. In my memory he was exactly as unkind and hectoring as he showed himself to be on the telly, but with a weird obsession with anal-to-vaginal sex, to the point that people must have been phoning him and trying to work it into conversations because there's no way mentions of it could possibly have arisen that frequently on a single show by sheer coincidence. I used to absolutely incense him, cos a guy would ring up and say something like "I think women should be on birth control rather than men wear condoms cos if I do anal on her cos I don't want a kid then it's up to her really if she wants me to change hole and she isn't coiled up isn't it so I just switch and then she needs to get the morning after pill."

"ANAL TO VAGINAL?! THAT GIVES GIRLS THRUSH PAL HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF VAGINAL TO ANAL IS OK BUT ANAL TO VAGINAL IS A NO IN MY BOOK".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2019, 11:53:59 PM
I remember slightly before that, when he was Jezza 'Late and Live' on BRMB. He was definitely less of a sanctimonious prick, back then.

I read sponk's post before yours when I wrote my last reply. Interesting your take, because I remember him being just as much as a douchebag.

Sebastian Cobb

He was still a prick like, but not as bad.

Someone had him going mirroring the divorce Jezza had recently been through, had him going for a good 10 minutes then finished it off with 'not really 'cos I'm only joking HAHA'.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 15, 2019, 12:02:17 AM
In about 1997 he had a phone in show on BRMB - "Late and Live with Jezza", back when Jezza was all he was with no mention of the Kyle and, yes, like you, it was quite a long time after becoming aware of Jeremy Kyle that I connected the dots.

I was in the first year of secondary school when that radio show was on, and we mainly used to listen to it because there were very slightly naughty words and rude content in it.

I have the same recollection of "Jezza's Confessions" on BRMB (?) circa '00 or '01. It was a load of bollocks looking back, but occasionally people would prank the absolute shit out of him which was hilarious.

I don't think his radio stuff was exploitative, though he did go through a phase of believing that "all whispers sound the same" and offered a service to listeners who suspected their spouses of affairs. He'd call and pretend to be the errant lover by conducting the fraudulent conversation in a whisper. I remember he used to start all such calls with "hi it's me" to see if they'd assume the mystery phone whisperer was their illicit lover, and the call would go from there.

He's always been happy to plumb the absolute depths, so fuck him.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2019, 12:29:23 AM
He was still a prick like, but not as bad.

Someone had him going mirroring the divorce Jezza had recently been through, had him going for a good 10 minutes then finished it off with 'not really 'cos I'm only joking HAHA'.

I seem to remember this exact call. He'd get really wound up about prank calls and have a good old rant about the caller after they'd hung up/been cut off. Partridge-esque.

Always had the feel that nobody else at the station knew they were broadcasting.

NoSleep

Remember the Trisha show, which was a slightly tamer predecessor of JK? 

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2019, 06:26:46 AM
Petition to permanently cancel the Jeremy Kyle Show:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/permanently-end-the-jeremy-kyle-show

We may need another petition to ban, once and for all, the splitting of infinitives.

Jockice

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 13, 2019, 01:13:29 PM
I've been to a Kyle taping and he is the oiliest fuck on earth.

I could have been to one. A bloke I used to know from swimming had tickets for it once. He was meant to be going with his wife but they split up shortly before. So he asked me. I did pause for a minute (after all, it would have been an experience) before saying no. Good job too. Because Shaun was very overweight and used a crutch he got to sit at the very front and the cameras kept showing his reaction. I was in the cafe at the sports centre with him when it was on and he got  about half a dozen phone calls while it was on.

Now I guess his social circle was slightly different to mine (I was doing my alleged PhD at the time) but the thought of being seen on that would completely have destroyed any credibility I'd ever had. Except among certain people I know who are now decrying it but I know for a fact were regular viewers.

Icehaven

Slightly off topic but I'm sure I remember an episode of an American show like JK back in the late 90s, probably Riki Lake or early Oprah Winfrey, with a young woman coming out, and when they did the bit where they get some opinions from the audience one woman stood up and something like "Yeah it's fine having girls as best friends, that's OK but honey you got to love a MAN!" and the audience all whooped and cheered. Yeah it was 20 years ago and thd show itself wouldn't have been new so was even older but even so I remember thinking 'that's a bit wrong.' They also used to do ones where the parents of goths would stage a kind of intervention, tearfully pleading them to stop dressing that way, which was just hilariously middle American. They even did makeovers sometimes where the kids would be de-gothed and come out looking like Allison at the end of The Breakfast Club, much to the parents and audience's delight, as if the child had been wrestled from the Devil's hands and saved. Just bizarre. I haven't even accidentally watched any shows like that since about 2002, they don't still do all that kind of stuff do they?

Sebastian Cobb

The whooping and hollering makes me think it was Jerry Springer.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2019, 08:20:30 AM
The whooping and hollering makes me think it was Jerry Springer.
It sounds pretty Ricki Lake to me, there was plenty whooping and hollering on all those shows and the subject sounds a bit tame for Jerry Springer. I remember a Ricki Lake where they tried to reheat the leftovers of the previous decade's satanic panic by bringing on a bunch of kids who were getting into "witchcraft" (actually just half-hearted goths who might as well have been hosting their covens in Wendy houses).

I also remember B*witched performed C'est La Vie on Ricki Lake one time, if that was the same episode then I only just now got why they were an appropriate act.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Bazooka on May 14, 2019, 05:13:29 PMI have no insight into the 'guest recruitment process, but the contestants aren't forced to go on there...

...although maybe they kind of are.  According to a post on Digital Spy from someone who DOES claim to have insight into the guest recruitment process, it's far shittier than you even imagine:

QuoteI work with a vulnerable client group and I have met quite a few who have been on the show and/or been approached to be on the show. All have been people with some degree of learning disability/special needs and/or mental health issues which means that their ability to make sound judgement, present themselves in an appropriate manner and to understand other people's intentions are poor. Most of those people aappear or in fact are quite anti social so they can look like the 'bad guys' in any given situation. They normally have a row with a family member, threaten them with the JK show. Then the other says well yeah, go on then, so they phone them up and the researchers or whoever talk them into appearing. They book a taxi immediately before the client has a chance to think it through or talk to someone sensible who will talk them out of it - many dont have such a person in their life anyway. Their friends and/or family are normally similarly minded to them so they're egging them on, saying 'yeah, that'll show him what a crap dad he was/is' blah blah blah so they get all hyped up

Then in the taxi on the way up (which arrives about 20 mins after the client has made the phone call), they start getting cold feet, but when they ring to say they dont want to appear anymore, they are told that they have to pay for the taxi fare - not just to wherever they have now got to, lets say an hour from their house, but also the whole trip that the taxi has been booked for, up to the studios and back again. A person could live 100s of miles away so thats a lot of money. But they are also told they have to reinburse the hotel cost which by now has been booked for them.

Consequently as most of the clients are on benefits they are persuaded to continue with it, with all the promises of this or that therapy or intervention.

Thats what Ive been told by a few of them about how they ended up on the show.

(emphasis mine)

Unbelievable.

And yes, I too am amazed that they've never had a suicide before.  Well I expect they have actually, just not one close enough to be linked to it before.

sponk

Quote from: icehaven on May 15, 2019, 08:19:15 AM
Slightly off topic but I'm sure I remember an episode of an American show like JK back in the late 90s, probably Riki Lake or early Oprah Winfrey, with a young woman coming out, and when they did the bit where they get some opinions from the audience one woman stood up and something like "Yeah it's fine having girls as best friends, that's OK but honey you got to love a MAN!" and the audience all whooped and cheered. Yeah it was 20 years ago and thd show itself wouldn't have been new so was even older but even so I remember thinking 'that's a bit wrong.'

https://youtu.be/ccyu44rsaZo
This is an absolute classic of the genre (watch from 3 minutes in)

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2019, 08:03:54 PM
Having him Hector the vulnerable, poor and stupid reduced to the confines of a media city studio would be an improvement, especially if the votes s are only via sms.

Hey that was the stage name I used when I went on the show. "Poor and stupid" was the subheader.

GMTV

Used to love Night Stand with Dick Dietrick back in the day. Late night on channel 5, VHS recorded. Felt really naughty watching it.

Not watched a second of it since as I'm sure it's utter shite.

Ornlu

GMTV

Got to bring back trisha surely.

up_the_hampipe

Quote"ITV will continue to work with Jeremy Kyle on other projects."

New show where he goes to people's houses without their knowledge and berates them. Heads down the job centre and calls them all worthless cunts.

Alberon

Hides in a wheelie bin next to a Weatherspoons shouting 'wanker' at them and ducking back down when they turn to look.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 15, 2019, 10:36:53 AM
New show where he goes to people's houses without their knowledge and berates them.

Peado hunters makes it from facebook live streams to broadcast.

Jeremy visits a drug rehabilitation centre centre to scream "why don't you give up the drugs?" and "you're a disgrace pal" at those in the delicate early stages of drug withdrawal.

GMTV

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 06:51:12 PM
Kilroy is buried in mothballs somewhere. Dig him out and get him back on the telly.

Mummified. Veins full of formaldehyde. Enclosed in a nitrogen atmosphere. Restarting him is pretty straightforward, reinject his blood and semen, and give him a dose of smelling salts. He's good for another 1000 years so it's a question of when not if.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2019, 10:42:25 AM
Peado hunters makes it from facebook live streams to broadcast.

It would not surprise me if he became the UK's answer to Chris Hansen.

Butchers Blind

sevendaughters

play this while you read my poem
https://youtu.be/-6KfVyMmomQ?t=196

The phone (I've got it written here one of those old ones with the round middle) rings
Kyle answers
"How are you you fucking murderer?"
Kyle gulps
"Just kidding mate"
Kyle laughed. That's Edmonds for you.
"Good one Noel" says Kyle
"Don't worry about the dead guy". Edmonds.
"What?" Kyle.
"It'll all be forgotten about." Edmonds.
But the misery. The 14 years of irredeemable class hatred.
"I still got House Party after The Late Late Breakfast Show."

up_the_hampipe

A lot of tweets calling for Love Island to be cancelled as well, as two of the contestants have since committed suicide. Seems to be motivated by right-wing whataboutism. The man's suicide was directly as a result of what happened to him on The Jeremy Kyle Show. It's very different.

That said, Love Island should be cancelled cos it's rubbish and ubiquitous and took Big Brother's place despite not even being half as good.

Urinal Cake

Time for an Alan Partridge spoof.

NoSleep

Would it be like Vivienne Vyle?

Fambo Number Mive

Lots of people on Twitter defending the show, many using the Love Island whatabouttery mentioned in this thread. I know mentioning Morgan just gives him what he wants, but he has really gushed over Kyle on Twitter.

Those defending Kyle should consider why so many people go on the show. If we had a proper Welfare State with a safety net people wouldn't need to appear on TV to get help. No doubt many of those who watch the show and appear sneering in its audience support the Tory government (and have supported the New Labour government) that means this show was able to find people desperate enough to appear on it. Of course, a few may have wanted to appear just to be on TV, but I imagine they would be the minority.

I don't know how true this is but it is an interesting read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48266570