Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Did anyone watch the BAFTAs?

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 13, 2019, 01:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I saw a little bit. Steve Coogan gave an award and did a funny-ish Partridge-ish intro. Lee Mack won an award for WILTY and gave a funny speech, Steve Pemberton won for Inside No 9, Daisy Cooper won a bin bag and Killing Eve did really well. I think I'm starting to really dislike Phoebe Waller Bridge.

The BBC website does a rundown here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48248670

Think the ceremony is up on iPlayer; if anyone finds out who presented the award for best Short Form , please let me know as I saw a quick clip and quite fancied her.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've watched Her Who Plays Vilanelle In "Killing Eve"s acceptance speech, humorously (and, indeed Partridge-esquely) introduced by Steve Coogan.Quite an unpretentious, and, if I may so, fairly moving speech, with yer woman blubbing away like a girl, and that. Glad to hear that Steve Pemberton got an award, is it his first Bafta?

Why are you starting to dislike Fleabag Poshbird?
Why was yer woman Jane Krakowski there?

The Baftas are a load of old bollocks really, aren't they?

This is my contribution to the thread, and those are my questions.

BlodwynPig

Norton Canes

Yes I did watch it. Or some if it at least. If they want me to watch the whole thing they're going to have to ditch the reality TV, entertainment and viewer-voted awards; or hive them off to some separate ceremony like they did the TV stuff from the films one.

Yes I am starting to find Phoebe Waller-Bridge a bit annoying, even though I really liked both series of Fleabag. Didn't watch Killing Eve but in the clip they showed both characters behaved just like they were in an episode of Fleabag. Thinking P-WB's career might go the same way as that of Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais - couple of brilliant sitcoms followed by a prosperous few years tarting up Hollywood scripts.

Yes Coogan's intro was very good, Mack's bit less so (never taken to him, always comes across as having a genuinely nasty edge). Shame Reece Shearsmith didn't also get nominated, or that they couldn't jointly been given the award - they really are inseparable professionally. Has Shearsmith taken it well on Twitter..?

No I can't find the whole ceremony on iPlayer, annoyingly. BBC has 'best bits' and red carpet stuff. BAFTA site has links to some bits as far as I can see but not the whole thing.

Norton Canes

Oh to have been a fly on Stephen Mangan's wall.

"Hi, Stephen! It's BAFTA! Would you like to host this year's ceremony..."

"Would I ever!"

"...for the craft awards?"

"Yeah. Yeah, would I ever."

Norton Canes

And Hugh Grant's masterful take on Jeremy Thorpe overlooked while Benedict Cumberbatch gets a nod for the latest installment of Being Benedict Cumberbatch? Nah

jsgibble

Sally4Ever won best scripted comedy, it was the third best in the category but it's probably the best thing Julia Davis has done so I don't mind too much

neveragain

Not better than Human Remains. Her best solo perhaps.

neveragain

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 13, 2019, 03:27:49 PM
Has Shearsmith taken it well on Twitter..?

He was burnt alive on May Day as part of some wicker festival.

jsgibble

Quote from: neveragain on May 13, 2019, 09:59:26 PM

Actually yeah, good call

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: neveragain on May 13, 2019, 09:59:26 PM

# He's bigging up " Human Remains " #
( You have to imagine I'm the singer out of Black Box Recorder, as I deliver this line )

Icehaven

I watched it mainly as I put the TV on as it was just starting and I wanted something I didn't have to concentrate on. Nice to see Steve Pemberton and that he remembered to thank Reece, and the 'people we have lost' segment was enjoyable as always, particularly Norton having to half-arsedly tack Freddie Starr and someone else who died too late to be included on afterwards.
I don't watch many awards things but didn't they used to read out the names and show short clips of all the nominees before announcing the winner? I'm guessing it's to cut down the time but they only did this for a few awards with a lot of the presenters just walking onstage, giving a 30 second spiel about the category then announcing the winner without even mentioning the other nominees. All felt a bit disjointed.

magval

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 13, 2019, 01:55:14 PM
I think I'm starting to really dislike Phoebe Waller Bridge.

Why's that? Haven't seen the show, for clarity.

jobotic

Julia Davis seemed genuinely surprised that she won. I don't blame her, Sally4Ever was really disappointing (and I really like her).

Never watched Fleabag or Killing Eve but I didn't see anything annoying about Phoebe Waller Bridge. No more than anyone on these things are anyway.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: magval on May 14, 2019, 01:07:05 PM
Why's that? Haven't seen the show, for clarity.

Just the general smugness and the sycophants surrounding her.