Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rammstein

Started by magval, May 13, 2019, 10:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Rammstein's new album Rammstein is out on Friday.

Talk about Rammstein in this thread.

Why do you think they are great or rubbish? They aren't rubbish, they're great purveyors of heavy music and quite funny.

thugler

It all sounds the same to me. Don't think anyone would be all that arsed about them without all the fireworks and that.

PlanktonSideburns

Laibach for people who like Game of Thrones

magval

Quote from: thugler on May 13, 2019, 11:14:29 PM
It all sounds the same to me. Don't think anyone would be all that arsed about them without all the fireworks and that.

Never seen them live but all but one of their albums of recorded music is excellent, tried any of that?

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 13, 2019, 11:15:12 PM

What do you think of the band Rammstein though?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: magval on May 13, 2019, 11:18:46 PM
What do you think of the band Rammstein though?

Sorry being a bit of a nob there I was

I think they're a big daft laugh. Live show looks fun.

Shaky

They're recorded output is OK but I find more than a handful of tracks just gets incredibly boring.

Think the problem I have with them is that they're funny. What's with that treadmill?

bgmnts

Big daft laugh for me too, if they are being tongue in cheek.

Some quality metal songs too.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 13, 2019, 11:15:12 PM

Laibach approved of Rammstein and even remixed them.

Neville Chamberlain

I fairly regularly see Till Lindemann, the muscle-bound singer chap, out on his bike, going to Lidl and what-not.

jobotic

I like Sonne. That's the only one I know. Thanks.

Neville Chamberlain

One of my favourite cafes round the corner from me had to close last year because Till Lindemann put the rent up.

sevendaughters

I don't think, even if it's in the name of satire, it is terribly good for the soul to stomp around at their age engaging with fascistic imagery and militarised teutonic bollocks. That said I think of them as the good version of Tool - intelligent mainstream rock circus for people who have magic eye posters on the wall.

magval

Never mind about the videos and the controversy and all that, Rammstein's albums (bar one) are class.

I'll link some songs later, can't get onto Youtube at work.

See you people doing this "for people who like X" shtick, you're as much a type as the types you're talking about. You must see that, like.

However, I like your posts generally, so I'll not reduce you to a fragment of your overall, complex personalities. Please do the same. The reason CAB is a great place is because it's largely devoid of this reductive Internet-age bollocks.

Neville, does Till Lindemann really live near you? Your cafe line is properly funny even though I hope for your sake it's a joke as it would be shite craic if reality.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: magval on May 14, 2019, 10:56:59 AM
Neville, does Till Lindemann really live near you? Your cafe line is properly funny even though I hope for your sake it's a joke as it would be shite craic if reality.

Yep, it's true! He lives in my Berlin neighbourhood and, as I said, I see him about every few weeks. I didn't actually know until fairly recently that he owned the building in which the cafe is located - it's just around the corner from the nursery where my boy went - but it's not surprising as he owns loads of buildings in the area. Apparently, he used to be a fairly regular customer in there, but, tended not to show his face there in recent years (I never saw him there). The cafe owners are a bit miffed because it's a cafe and "arts space", but Till seems to have abandoned any solidarity with fellow, local artists in favour of putting up the rent to get rich off his property exploits. Also, Till Lindemann's "celebrity" girlfriend, claimed the cafe had a mice infestation. OK, the cafe did cultivate its "shabby chic" image to the point where it was just a bit shabby, and I only saw a few mice mice running around in the corridor to the bogs...

sevendaughters

Oh I am totally the Ricky Gerbail for people who eat the big bags of Walkers Sensations poppadums in one sitting.

the ouch cube

Good and sometimes great pop metal.

Which sounds somewhat of a backhanded compliment but consider that pop metal is really really hard to do well, and usually results in Motley Crue/Tygertailz/Black Veil Brides rubbish. So Rammstein's Devo-with-riffs is a refreshing spin on the concept.

I do sometimes suspect that they are a prank on the band's part to get non-German-speakers to sing along with lyrics that go "My dearest wish is for a large man called Franz/to fist my bumhole into a windsock" without realising it

thugler

Quote from: magval on May 13, 2019, 11:18:46 PM
Never seen them live but all but one of their albums of recorded music is excellent, tried any of that?

Yes, heard all but the most recent record or two repeatedly. Housemate used to play them literally every day many years ago. Find them very dull I'm afraid.

Sonne was amusing at first, then every song was basically the same as that. This close to being a novelty act. How many people only really know of them from their live show pyro reputation or their wacky music videos.

Deep down they were always that nu-metal band with a funny deep voice german singer.

sevendaughters

their music sometimes features subtle plays on romanticist themes, there's a lot more going on than circus rock. I also think the vocals are a bit Brechtian, that kind of sprechsegang, like if it's so run of the mill then who else is doing it? the constituent parts bear some scrutiny. people are responding to the presentation and the audience.

wosl

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 14, 2019, 08:59:58 PMI also think the vocals are a bit Brechtian, that kind of sprechsegang, like if it's so run of the mill then who else is doing it?

Laibach and Young Gods have a good shout (in both senses!). DAF, up to a point. All earlier, and all influences on Rammstein, you'd have to bet.

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 14, 2019, 08:59:58 PMpeople are responding to the presentation and the audience.

Their output doesn't serve up enough to discourage that, though.  To be fair to them, away from the stage almost all the Rammsteiners give the impression that there's a disjuncture between surface and underbelly meant to be going on.  They all seem to flash a twinkle in the eye in the interviews I've seen (limited almost entirely, I have to admit, to the bits and pieces included in the extras of the Live Aus Berlin DVD, which I once picked up for tuppence ha'pfennig from the bargain bin), with the exception of Lindemann.  His po-faced, self-regarding machismo seems unironically on the level.