Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

School Dread on Sundays

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 13, 2019, 11:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Did you ever associate certain Sunday TV shows with the dreaded countdown to Monday morning school? I always link The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie, for example, with desolation.

Absorb the anus burn

Sundays have their own peculiar energy...

Theme from Antique's Roadshow...
Theme from Songs Of Praise...
Theme from Last Of The Summer Wine...

Theme from That's Life.

#HAPPINESS CANCELLED

Bazooka

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 14, 2019, 12:30:21 AM
Sundays have their own peculiar energy...

Theme from Antique's Roadshow...
Theme from Songs Of Praise...
Theme from Last Of The Summer Wine...

Theme from That's Life.

#HAPPINESS CANCELLED

Yep hearing any of these joyous death ballads had me clock watching the rest of the day away, its suffering from anxiety, just can't relax, looking over your shoulder with fear as the skies darken as mother ship Monday fills the sky. At least as a kid you might have a PE lesson, better than sitting at a desk weeping.

the

(That said, I fucking love Bullseye now)

thraxx

Yes, but after all of that and Police 5, Ski Sunday, and The Money Programme came the final oasis of Spitting Image...

Avril Lavigne

I'm sure this is why I drink so much on Sundays. Just terrible existential nightmare dread feelings left over from inescapable time stuck at my Nan's watching Bullseye & wishing I was dead.

Brian Freeze

Tales of the Unexpected. Assuming I'm right to remember it being on on a sunday night. Bed straight after. Oh fuck homework to invent an excuse for.

Captain Z

Where The Heart Is
Birds Of A Feather (no idea if this was on Sundays but with that theme tune it should have been)

I love how often this topic pops up on CaB.

the

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 14, 2019, 01:01:00 AMTales of the Unexpected. Assuming I'm right to remember it being on on a sunday night. Bed straight after. Oh fuck homework to invent an excuse for.

It was on Saturday (and later Friday) nights, so either you've a bad memory or your parents were playing an extraordinarily cruel and elaborate 'one-day weekend' practical joke on you.

Quote from: Captain Z on May 14, 2019, 01:11:08 AMBirds Of A Feather (no idea if this was on Sundays but with that theme tune it should have been)

It was during the week originally (fuck knows about later on).

Hey, you know what I hated on Sunday nights, Midweek Sports Special

Noodle Lizard

We used to have a Sunday roast more or less every Sunday.  Anything from the washing up onwards was exactly as described.  Especially since I always, always had homework I'd leave to the last minute - or just not do, and then worry about.  A two-day weekend was really 1.5 days.

I think it'd be some Radio 4 show theme for me.  The Archers, probably, or maybe that was earlier in the day.

pigamus

the

A Question Of Bread
Bread Line with Cliff Michelmore
Bread Chef 1993
Bread Clothes Show
Doctor At Bread

imitationleather

The theme tune to Sing Something Simple is pure despair.

Brundle-Fly

This Sunday night LWT theme tune would fittingly feel me with anxiety forty years ago. Slightly heartbreaking now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqvnf9SRow0

paruses

Poirot - the David Suchet one. Just hearing it now brings on a mixture of dread (Sunday, outstanding homework, shitty school in morning) and comfort (security of sitting with my family who I do quite like and also there was still an hour left which was a long time when I was 13).

monkfromhavana

Howard's Way was the one for me. That's Life desolation. Spitting Image, then trying to pretend that I wad enthralled by the South Bank show in order to stay up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think for me it was TELEVISION PROGRAMMES SCHEDULED ON A SUNDAY BETWEEN 1990-2002

Neville Chamberlain

I always remember Sundays beginning with such promise. There was that programme in the morning that explored a specific theme (space or something) and just showed lots of clips about that theme from popular culture or the news, with no narration, just explanatory text at the bottom of the screen. I loved that programme so much I've completely forgotten what it was called. I think the theme music was by Art of Noise.

But yeah, as the day went on, this early promise was enveloped by a blanket of sheer desolation dominated by Songs of Praise, Ski Sunday and chemistry homework.

As promising as Sundays started, nothing embodied that "jeesssuuus fuuuuuck yeeeaaahhh it's the weeekeeend and I can do whatever the flipping shitting heck I jolly well liiiiiiiike!!!" feeling of elation as much Transworld Sport on Saturday mornings.

petril

buzby

Quote from: the on May 14, 2019, 01:15:01 AM
It was on Saturday (and later Friday) nights, so either you've a bad memory or your parents were playing an extraordinarily cruel and elaborate 'one-day weekend' practical joke on you.
Tales Of The Unexpected moved around the schedules during it's run, including Sunday evenings. It moved to Sundays during series 3 (9/11/1980) and stayed there for series 4. It moved back to Saturdays for series 5 and 6, then moved to Sundays again during series 7 (19/08/1984) and for most of series 8, then back to Fridays for the last series.
It was during the week originally (fuck knows about later on).
Again, Birds Of A Feather was moved around the schedules, but Series 4 (Sept-Nov 1992), 5 (Sept-Nov 1993) and 6 (Sept-Dec 1994) all aired on Sunday evenings.

Danger Man

Buzby associated 'back to school' with Test Card F (and later Test Card J)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: petrilTanaka on May 14, 2019, 08:20:12 AM
It was boredom at first sight...

That was shown on Friday evenings, dude.

ETA: Nah, fair play to yer, the first series was broadcast on a Sunday Eve, in the coveted "New Statesman/ Spitting Image" slot. All subsequent series were broadcast on the evenings of Friday though, inspiring Mark E. Smith to pen the famous couplet " I used to have this thing about Emma Wray/ I used to watch her every Friday."

Neville Chamberlain

What is with the 80s and wacky colours and crazy pointy geometric shapes?!?

imitationleather

buzby

Quote from: Danger Man on May 14, 2019, 09:38:32 AM
Buzby associated 'back to school' with Test Card F (and later Test Card J)
I was long out of school when J came along. It was F, G (the Beeb's modified Philips PM5544) and ETP-1 for me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Threads with titles you can sing to the chorus of that Alice Cooper song (Daphne and Celeste did a cover version of it).

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 01:50:25 AM
The theme tune to Sing Something Simple is pure despair.

That's the one that did it for me. Sitting at the kitchen table with my parents, probably having a depressing salad (with salad cream) for "tea" and hearing that accordion intro before The Cliff Adams Singers (?) started warbling. Forty years later and just thinking about it is bringing me down.

the

There's a bit on the Andy Hamilton Room 101 about Sing Something Simple, you're not alone it seems:

Clip

NoOffenceLynn

A while ago a poster described this phenomenon to the tune of Last of The Summer Wine. And It was was something like this.

🎼 It's fuckin Sunday evening
Time to do your homework
Some old cunts, push another cunt
Down the hill in a bath🎼

Anyway, sorry to whoevers post I've misremembered. But yeah it summed up Sunday evening for me too.