Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Natasha Tynes #cancelled

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 14, 2019, 12:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA Metro bus operator in Washington, DC, took the train Friday morning to go to her next assignment. She would have usually eaten her breakfast at the next stop, but it was rush hour and the train was delayed; she didn't want to keep customers at her next assignment waiting, so she decided to eat her breakfast on the train, her union representative said.

But what Natasha Tynes — a passenger on the train — saw was a public employee breaking the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's rule that doesn't allow eating or drinking on Metro vehicles or at stations. So she decided to take a photo of the black Metro employee and report her to the WMATA on Twitter.

In the since-deleted tweet, Tynes wrote: "When you're on your morning commute & see @wmata employee in UNIFORM eating on the train. I thought we were not allowed to eat on the train. This is unacceptable. Hope @wmata responds."..

In its statement, the Metro workers union said riders like Tynes were often unaware of working conditions that operators endured during their assignments.

Operators have an average of 20 minutes to eat and get to their next access point to ensure buses and trains are on time, according to the union. Most operators do not have a sanitary place to have their meals due to rodents and insects in the system and a lack of break rooms at some stations, the union added.

Hobson said that the operator ate her breakfast on the train because she was focused on "serving her customers in a timely manner."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/dc-metro-worker-eating-train-viral-tweet-author

Tynes' publisher has now cancelled her book deal

QuoteBlack women face a constant barrage of this kind of inappropriate behavior directed toward them and a constant policing of their bodies," the statement added. "We think this is unacceptable and have no desire to be involved with anyone who thinks it's acceptable to jeopardize a person's safety and employment in this way."

The next day, Tynes' publisher, California Coldblood Books, announced that it was stopping all shipments of her novel from the warehouse and postponing the book's publication date "while we further discuss appropriate next steps to officially cancel the book's publication."

"We do not condone her actions and hope Natasha learns from this experience that black women feel the effects of systemic racism the most and that we have to be allies, not oppressors," the publisher said in a statement.

I understand that passengers have been banned (until recently) from eating on the subway, but tweeting a picture of a worker doing this seems very entitled. I mean, once I saw a bus driver where I live load the bus so much that three people had to stand on the top deck (which is unsafe and makes it harder for people to get off). I didn't report them and that's a lot worse than EATING on a SUBWAY.

imitationleather

jobotic

Never heard of her, but good.

sponk

I'd love to know how they knew it was racially motivated. Would she have been fired if the eater was white?

Neville Chamberlain

That's the last time I buy anything by Natasha Tynes.

jobotic

The eater wouldn't have been hired if they were white. It's illegal to be white now.

imitationleather

Oh, I'd not realised it had become a racism thing.

Regardless of their race, tweeting someone's employer because of that is the behaviour of a grade A tool.

Alberon

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 12:12:11 PM
I'd love to know how they knew it was racially motivated. Would she have been fired if the eater was white?

That's the question. The accused is black, but the accuser is non-white, but who knows if race played any part of this.

Just don't use social media. It never ends well.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 12:15:15 PM

Regardless of their race, tweeting someone's employer because of that is the behaviour of a grade A tool.

yep.

Bennett Brauer

The prescient "Worry about yourself" from the metro worker, such a cool response.

Cuellar

Like the stasi but instead of getting an extra loaf of bread for grassing on your fellow citizens you get kicked down the stairs

sponk

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 12:15:15 PM

Exactly. And the "let's photograph and humiliate anyone who looks different on public transport" is one of my least favourite internet trends, so I'm glad there was a backlash but I just think it was possibly for the wrong reasons.

Fambo Number Mive

A rule against eating on the subway is a terrible rule. Often people don't have time to eat breakfast before getting the subway to work.

Gerald Fjord

i can't believe you've made me know about this. i probably forgot something to learn this. i can no longer remember what year the paris commune was.

Gerald Fjord

when did the war with prussia end? it was after that.

imitationleather

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on May 14, 2019, 12:31:36 PM
i can't believe you've made me know about this. i probably forgot something to learn this. i can no longer remember what year the paris commune was.

When you have Alzheimer's Natasha Tynes tweeting on the subway will be your sole remaining memory.

Quote from: Alberon on May 14, 2019, 12:16:13 PM
That's the question. The accused is black, but the accuser is non-white, but who knows if race played any part of this.

Just don't use social media. It never ends well.

It's not racism, it's classism. Problem is, the US has never really had an honest conversation with itself about class, so they'll jump to an easier to palate -ism instead.

Blinder Data

Like in all these "publicly shamed" cases, the perpetrator (Tynes) is a twat but the reaction is way OTT. I don't think you should lose your book deal or be seen as a racist forever over something like this.

Chollis

So disappointed in this. Tynes is one of the greatest thinkers of our time but to read this about him or her is really diapotinging opblab blah blah bld shit poo poo

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Tynes, a communications officer for the World Bank Group, described herself as a "social media maven with over 8000 followers on Twitter" on her LinkedIn page.

I don't really give a fuck about the story, but this in itself is incredibly graveworthy. It's basically self facilitating media node 2.0. You bellend.

jobotic

I've lost hundreds of book deals for far less. Fuck her.

imitationleather

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 14, 2019, 12:33:42 PM
Like in all these "publicly shamed" cases, the perpetrator (Tynes) is a twat but the reaction is way OTT. I don't think you should lose your book deal over something like this.

They probably just calculated that no one is going to want to buy the book anymore. It's not that publishing houses are bastions of moral authority.

If Jordan Peterson had done this when he had a book coming out they would have produced an edition with a gold-plated cover.

Gerald Fjord

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 12:33:02 PM
When you have Alzheimer's Natasha Tynes tweeting on the subway will be your sole remaining memory.

you're probably right there. what year did the war with prussia end?

jobotic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

kngen

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 12:35:32 PM
They probably just calculated that no one is going to want to buy the book anymore. It's not that publishing houses are bastions of moral authority.

Ha. Very close to the truth, I'd imagine.

Newly appointed head of commissioning: 'Right, what have we got on the slate for upcomings? A social media maven with 8,000 followers?!?!?'

*checks Twitter* 'Oh sweet, merciful mother of god, thank you!!!'

Blinder Data

I suppose. Their statement is v woke for a company acting cynically though.

Chollis