Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Natasha Tynes #cancelled

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 14, 2019, 12:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

This has depressed me because it immediately reminded me of this similar but far worse story. It's a shame that 50's existence wasn't cancelled.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/50-cent-apologises-for-mocking-19-year-old-autistic-airport-cleaner-family-accept-apology-a7012846.html

kngen

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 12:12:11 PM
I'd love to know how they knew it was racially motivated. Would she have been fired if the eater was white?

Being non-white herself (and a social media maven), she'd have to be incredibly ignorant to not know that '____ while black' isn't already a major social media trope. But her aggrieved entitlement won out.

Icehaven

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 14, 2019, 12:34:57 PM
Tynes, a communications officer for the World Bank Group, described herself as a "social media maven with over 8000 followers on Twitter" on her LinkedIn page.

I don't really give a fuck about the story, but this in itself is incredibly graveworthy. It's basically self facilitating media node 2.0. You bellend.

What kind of social media ''maven' still (or ever) starts any post or sentence or thought with ''When''? It makes you sound simultaneously 14 and 105.

Anyway I daresay she just got told off by a train employee for eating on a train once and is still bitter about it, but for a writer and social media expert she sure didn't think that little retaliation through.

Danger Man

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 14, 2019, 12:34:57 PM
Tynes, a communications officer for the World Bank Group, described herself as a "social media maven with over 8000 followers on Twitter" on her LinkedIn page.

Maven? Don't publish her book then kill her.

kngen

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 14, 2019, 12:33:14 PM
It's not racism, it's classism. Problem is, the US has never really had an honest conversation with itself about class, so they'll jump to an easier to palate -ism instead.

It's a bit of both. Through financial, geographical and social exclusion, an underclass has been created on the basis of race, so critiquing through either lense always comes up a bit short. In short: it's fucking complicated, man.

Not addressed to you but the suggestion elsewhere that it can't be racist because Tynes is also a POC - well, I suggest people travel to the Middle East: seeing how black folks are treated there would quickly disavow them of that notion.

Dex Sawash

The smell of the baking/festering bread at subway puts me off, always eat it somewhere else

Fambo Number Mive

Isn't it unreasonable for the metro to expect workers to travel during their meal break?

https://twitter.com/stillnaima/status/1128002425699356673

Blumf

Over 8000 followers on Twitter? Damn, that's a titan of social media right there!

Hold on baby, gonna bust some trends!... With my 8000 followers.

sponk

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 14, 2019, 12:30:12 PM
A rule against eating on the subway is a terrible rule. Often people don't have time to eat breakfast before getting the subway to work.

I don't know if the cleaners feel the sane way. Also, the smell and sight of someone eating on a cramped train is just as bad as loud music to me. And what if you were Muslim or Jewish or vegan and someone was eating a pig's head on the train. You might have a different opinion then.

jobotic

Icehaven

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 01:12:30 PM
I don't know if the cleaners feel the sane way....

Think food is often the least of their worries;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48068457

221 incidents of 'soiled' carriages (they've all got soiled carriages by the time...) in 2018 on the Northern Line alone. Clearly the same bloke.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: jobotic on May 14, 2019, 01:17:46 PM
What is Maven?
Well, it's not quite a mop and it's not quite a raven, but man...

bgmnts

Her book is getting savaged on goodreads.

thenoise

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 14, 2019, 01:09:13 PM
Isn't it unreasonable for the metro to expect workers to travel during their meal break?

https://twitter.com/stillnaima/status/1128002425699356673

Well, obviously she doesn't know what Metro policy is, she's just venting because she got told off by an employee for eating on the train once and then she saw on of their workers allow do to do it. It's a shitty thing to do (especially publically. If it were a private message it could have been resolved with a calm explanation) but it's a bit silly to use it to illustrate society's wider ills.

Of course POC can be racist, lots of studies show that they harbour the same subconscious negative associations of black faces as white people do.

sponk

Quote from: bgmnts on May 14, 2019, 01:26:38 PM
Her book is getting savaged on goodreads.

Fucking hell, you're right. Dozens of angry one star reviews in the last few days.  Why are people so desperate to be whipped into an angry mob at the drop of a hat?

bgmnts

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 01:31:19 PM
Fucking hell, you're right. Dozens of angry one star reviews in the last few days.  Why are people so desperate to be whipped into an angry mob at the drop of a hat?

The first 'review' I saw started with something like "I haven't actually read the book but..." which made me chuckle.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 01:31:19 PM

GET FUCKED

imitationleather

sponk is officially #CANCELLED.

Gregory Torso

Hope everyone dies soon, bye.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: thenoise on May 14, 2019, 01:26:51 PM
Well, obviously she doesn't know what Metro policy is, she's just venting because she got told off by an employee for eating on the train once and then she saw on of their workers allow do to do it. It's a shitty thing to do (especially publically. If it were a private message it could have been resolved with a calm explanation) but it's a bit silly to use it to illustrate society's wider ills.

Of course POC can be racist, lots of studies show that they harbour the same subconscious negative associations of black faces as white people do.

Sorry, I meant Metro workers - the person she took a picture of had to travel to her next location during their meal break, which seems unreasonable of the Metro to me.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

sponk

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 14, 2019, 01:34:39 PM
GET FUCKED

A few quotes from Goodreads:

QuoteWhat a disgusting piece of trash
Snitches get stitches
Eat glass Natasha you waste of space. (263 likes)
Trash book by a trash author.
I highly suggest that Natasha eats all of her words and spends some time in a space of shame and embarrassment
How are you trying to profit from being a minority while simultaneously displaying misogynistic and classist habits against black women
This author is harmful towards Black women. She is trash, so her book is trash.
Wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who isn't a privileged, racist, psychopath.
This book and the writer are trash.

imitationleather

Quote from: sponk on May 14, 2019, 01:42:54 PM

They're mostly from reviews of Going to Sea in a Sieve by Danny Baker, aren't they?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Wonder if yer woman will get sued by the aggrieved hungry public transport employee?

She'd have to "fork" out some money then!!!
(because forks have Tynes, excepy spelt differently, and without the capital letter.)

Uncle TechTip

Keep your fucking shit thoughts to yourself.

A lesson for us all there.

mrpupkin

I highly suggest that Natasha eats all of her words and spends some time in a space of shame and embarrassment

May I be the first to welcome our newest member

Mister Six

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 14, 2019, 12:33:14 PMIt's not racism, it's classism. Problem is, the US has never really had an honest conversation with itself about class, so they'll jump to an easier to palate -ism instead.[/size]

^ Aye, this.

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 14, 2019, 12:33:42 PM
Like in all these "publicly shamed" cases, the perpetrator (Tynes) is a twat but the reaction is way OTT. I don't think you should lose your book deal or be seen as a racist forever over something like this.

^ Aye, this.

EDIT: Actually I'm cooling on the second one, because she could have ended up getting this woman fired, and that's something we should discourage.

Icehaven

I highly suggest that Natasha eats all of her words...

As long as she doesn't do it on the train.