Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Russ Abbot's Christmas Special 1984

Started by Virgo76, May 14, 2019, 01:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Glamorgan testicle ward on September 18, 2019, 02:18:04 PM
I appreciate the place this kinda stuff has in comedy culture. I can't remember as much blackface..and lots of it has not aged well..but that's what family comedy entertainment was in the 80s. I saw many entertainers from this era at fondly remembered if fuzzy seaside holidays - Abbott, Bobby Davro, Les Dennis etc etc..I'm reconciled that this stuff exists in a different culturespace and was never intended to appeal to modern sensibilities or really mean anything.

TC.....Is that you?

dunelm

Quote from: chocolate teapot on September 18, 2019, 01:44:35 PM
wow russ abbott is above Syd and Eddie? That's high praise, I'm not being sarcastic.

Relatively, I regard Syd and Eddie as the worst of that era. Seriously shit. Conceptually, the beeb wanted another Eric and Ernie so persisted with them way longer than they should have done. I'm not saying Abbot was good, just less shit than S&E. 

Where do readers think Cannon and Ball fit into this scheme?

Bobby Ralgex

I remember watching that at the time.

Looking back now I loved it. It was absolutely brilliant.

By that I mean it was fucking shit.

Bobby Ralgex

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2019, 08:27:51 PM
Russ was most educational. I expanded my vocabulary because of him, when I asked my dad what he meant when he said Abbot's comedy was 'puerile.'

Did you fuck. You accepted it the same as every other 13 year old in 1984.

Cloud

Ahhh nooooooo

This idiot at my local used to put "Atmosphere" on the jukebox on repeat all night, it was like a form of torture.  We actually left that pub for a couple of years because of it (til it was banned)

Glebe

Quote from: sick as a pike on September 19, 2019, 06:15:43 PMWhere do readers think Cannon and Ball fit into this scheme?

Crikey, that's a tough one... it's like trying to figure out quantum physics!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shaky on May 16, 2019, 02:21:01 AM
Abbot's shtick got a lot better, or at least much less shit, once some decent writers joined him (Barry Cryer et al). I remember being in hysterics reading his annual from the early 90's. Some properly crafted, silly gags in that.

I'd love to see that annual.

dunelm

Quote from: sick as a pike on September 19, 2019, 06:15:43 PM

Above Syd & Eddie, nobody goes below Syd & Eddie. Nobody.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: sick as a pike on September 19, 2019, 06:15:43 PM

They're decent in my opinion. Bobby is a craftsman.

Enzo

Tommy Cannon must be close to Syd in the talentless stakes

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Enzo on September 23, 2019, 09:26:09 PM
Tommy Cannon must be close to Syd in the talentless stakes

Well it's part of the job as a straight man in a way. People point to Ernie Wise but he didn't need to be that talented. Feed line, look annoyed, that's the brief.

Glebe

Cannon could only dream of emulating Sid.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 24, 2019, 08:43:20 AM
Well it's part of the job as a straight man in a way. People point to Ernie Wise but he didn't need to be that talented. Feed line, look annoyed, that's the brief.

Ernie Wise did have quite a well fleshed out persona for a double act though.  Conceited, vain, excessively miserly and an obsessive writer.  Eric Morecambe had the punchlines to be sure, but there was more to him than just being a feed man, I think.

Chriddof

Cannon's straight man character is very different to Syd's - he's constantly interacting and bickering with Bobby, whereas Syd is just a kind of human stick to aim impressions at.

George White

Quote from: Replies From View on May 16, 2019, 01:08:35 PM
Why did decent writers want to be associated with Russ Abbot?
Because he was a genuinely talented comic actor.
It's just that his material was invariably beneath him.

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZePct7v-I From Irish TV. National displeasure Twink (she got her nickname from Dan "The Old Man" O'Herlihy - fact fans) on the Live Mike, which also launched Dermot Morgan

gilbertharding

Quote from: George White on September 25, 2019, 04:28:16 PM
Because he was a genuinely talented comic actor.
It's just that his material was invariably beneath him.

I agree - his turn in the apparently overlooked sitcom Boomers is very good.

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sbju6rN7E Why did I not realise bits from Freddie Starr, Russ Abbot, Mr. Bean, Hale and Pace and the Baldy Man with Gregor Fisher were repackaged as a sketch anthology hosted by a character from Saturday Night Live...

Chriddof

Oh my god. I thought it would be Mike Myers doing something like that Gong Show character he did recently, but what I saw instead was Mr Bill (Mr bloody Bill!) floating above clips of Russ Abbot and Hale and Pace while wacky circus music played. I'm going to need a lie down.