Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Party/Farage thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 14, 2019, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Lovely people:

'How to profit from the world's water crisis': a dig into Annunziata Rees-Mogg's articles

How can so many working class people be so convinced that these people are on their side?

Buelligan

I don't know, I was talking to my brother about this once.  We were talking about a man we knew, let's call him Ducky O'Mahoney, he came from a long, long, fucking line of people who'd had their land stolen off them (by English aristos).  Who'd literally starved to death under English rule. 

They were not dimbos just people born into an oppressed group and marked for oppression from birth.  He left his country, because there was no work and came to work for an English lord, menial hard, poorly paid, work on the estate.  In his spare time, he delivered leaflets for the tory party and he literally would doff his cap to them all.  He was the most enthusiastic tory I ever met.

His brother, mind, was a different kettle of fish.  But I think it's because some oppressed people (think of oppressed women, if you like with their abusive husbands) have a Stockholm syndrome response to unbearable bullying and try to join the oppressors. 

Of course they never can, their oppressors despise them but they don't mind using them.

Paul Calf

QuoteNigel Farage supporting National Front leader Martin Webster in 1979 is going top of the very long list of questions he doesn't want to be asked about his past

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1128038495744929799

Buelligan

phantom_power

Is that really him? Doesn't look a huge amount like him. He isn't fuck-ugly with a face that betrays the black soul inside for one thing

Buelligan

It looks like him to me, if you allow for forty years of tabs, pints and being an inveterate cunt, I'm sure time will tell and someone will be able to identify every single thing in the picture. 

But even if it is him, he might well have been innocently bouncing along in his Airwears when Martin Webster did him up from behind with an old-style flashmob, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.  I mean, who could possibly imagine that Nigel Farage dallied with the National Front?  It's simply unimaginable.

SteveDave

Quote from: SteveDave on May 14, 2019, 11:57:53 PM
I don't think it is him in that photo that's being bandied about on social media.

imitationleather

I don't think it's him either. He doesn't strike me as the sort who would have hit the streets with a load of National Front types as a youth.

Buelligan

Quote from: The IndependentIn 2013, a letter emerged from a former Dulwich College teacher, Chloe Deakin, to then headteacher Mr Emms, who died earlier this year. According to the letter written in June 1981 – two months after the Brixton riots a couple of miles away – she pleaded unsuccessfully with Mr Emms to reverse his decision to make Nigel a prefect. She said colleagues had told her he held "publicly professed racist and fascist views" and that he had once marched through a Sussex village singing Hitler Youth songs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-fascist-nazi-song-gas-them-all-ukip-brexit-schoolfriend-dulwich-college-a7185236.html

imitationleather

Fair enough. I had forgotten that.

There is a vague facial likeness I suppose, but then that lad looks youthful and I find it hard to imagine Farage ever being young. He's the the antithesis of youth and it's associated beauty and optimism.

He probably went to toddlers' in a Harris tweed jacket & sensible slacks, then immediately began haranguing the other kids for not playing in a traditional enough British manner.

gib

The clothes in that pic don't look posh enough for it to be him.

Quote from: Quote on May 15, 2019, 12:54:05 PM
There is a vague facial likeness I suppose, but then that lad looks youthful and I find it hard to imagine Farage ever being young. He's the the antithesis of youth and it's associated beauty and optimism.

He probably went to toddlers' in a Harris tweed jacket & sensible slacks, then immediately began haranguing the other kids for not playing in a traditional enough British manner.

"In this country we play BRITISH Bulldog."

Blue Jam

Farage was a big admirer of Enoch Powell in his youth  (and still is) and later in life he was his driver for a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if this really was him.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Quote on May 15, 2019, 12:54:05 PM

Just type Nigel Farage young in google image to see a) he looked normal - apart from that joke photo and b) it probably isnt him in NF photo

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2019, 01:30:52 PM
I think I speak for everyone on the forum when I say it is a shame Farage wasn't killed in that plane crash.

And the car crash. Death has a right wing bias.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 14, 2019, 01:40:10 PM
Nigel Farage admits Oldham claim was false: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-forced-admit-claim-15760051

QuoteHe told LBC's Nick Ferrari he had got the figure from late BBC journalist Charles Wheeler.

Oh, that's unlucky. No one will be able to ask him.

QuoteFarage said: "Well, we all get caught up in this terminology. What's allowed one day is not allowed the next day.

Hasn't he heard that the correct term is 'funny tinge'?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 15, 2019, 10:26:18 AM
Lovely people:

'How to profit from the world's water crisis': a dig into Annunziata Rees-Mogg's articles

How can so many working class people be so convinced that these people are on their side?

Like father like daughter.

BlodwynPig

Blue Jam

They probably learned everything they know from the nanny.

jobotic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 15, 2019, 02:38:05 PM
Brother sister

Pretty sure William wrote about the profit potential from water scarcity.

JesusAndYourBush

I just realised what that damn arrow reminded me of...

sponk

Quote from: Buelligan on May 15, 2019, 12:04:46 PM

Vote accordingly.

Just reminded me that George Galloway - who is now urging people to vote for Farage - made a pretty good documentary about the new Far Right last year. Webster was interviewed for it and nearly fell out of his chair when Galloway mentioned his mixed-race children

https://youtu.be/hZugHYsMXwY

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 15, 2019, 02:58:16 PM
They probably learned everything they know from the nanny.

It was an okay series and Nerys Hughes is an underrated dramatic actress.

Cuellar

Quote from: Buelligan on May 15, 2019, 12:04:46 PM

Seems to me to be a pretty ropy photoshop, doesn't it?

His face is at the wrong angle.

sponk

Quote from: Cuellar on May 15, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
Seems to me to be a pretty ropy photoshop, doesn't it?

His face is at the wrong angle.

And even if it was real, he'd only be 15 there, so not really fair to use it against him as a child involved in far-right politics is a victim of abuse and grooming, imo. Similar to the shemima Begum situation. She deserved sympathy for being groomed into extremism as a child, but condemnation for not denouncing it as an adult. Definitely not a fair comparison to the Corbyn protest since he was about 30 something at the time.

Cuellar

If it was real I don't think it would be wrong to 'use it against him'.

In that he's peddling the same bullshit to this day.

Absorb the anus burn

Isn't there a letter about Farage, sent between Dulwich College schoolteachers? One asking the other not to make him a prefect because of his racist and fascist views?

Paul Calf

Yes.

https://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-farage-ukip-letter-school-concerns-racism-fascism

He was young at the time, but his hard-on for fascist symbolism and rhetoric hasn't abated. In any case, there are loads of people to vote for who don't have a history of association with the authoritarian far right so I'll probably vote for one of them.

Sebastian Cobb

You'd have to be pretty fucking racist to raise eyebrows in the 70's as well, it must've gone well beyond chucking ephitets around.