Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Archer: 1999 (Season 10) Starts 29th May

Started by NoSleep, May 14, 2019, 04:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Small Man Big Horse

The last two seasons have been a bit patchy (though I mostly liked season 8) but I hope given that it's supposed to be the last it'll be a return to form, I certainly liked the trailer and thought it was pleasingly mad.

NoSleep

The 3rd episode of the new season is written by Mark Ganek. That's the first ever episode that Adam Reed has not participated in the writing in some way. May be an indication of fatigue on Reed's part (he wants to call it a day after this season) and a will to continue the series without him.

Small Man Big Horse

I was a bit disappointed by this, there were some strong jokes and Ray as a space prostitute amused, but all too often despite the new setting it felt a bit Archer by the numbers.

backdrifter

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 30, 2019, 05:25:19 PM
I was a bit disappointed by this, there were some strong jokes and Ray as a space prostitute amused, but all too often despite the new setting it felt a bit Archer by the numbers.

Agreed. Felt the same about Danger Island - they went way overboard on the callbacks.

Don't like Pam as a rock monster either.

NoSleep

It way too much of an introductory episode for me to judge so harshly. I even liked it some.

Trying to spot the main references with the characters. Cheryl is Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, Ray is Inara from Firefly, Malory is Mother from Alien, Krieger is Pinocchio... not sure where Pam is from; she reminds me of The Thing from Fantastic Four.

NoSleep

They seemed to have let the tea-boy write an episode this week; whoever it was is not familiar with the characters.

Sebastian Cobb

NoSleep

Hat FM

so  was the last real life archer where he supposedly drowned or has something happened since then? i had to give up on danger island after a couple of eps.

NoSleep

They're currently in coma-induced outer space.

I see Adam Reed has written the last two episodes of the current season. As this is the last season (certainly with him onboard as writer, at least) I think there might be a conclusion to the coma.

Ferris

I stopped watching midway through the island.

Is this worth picking back up?

NoSleep

It hasn't been great this season, but it's been OK, until the latest episode, which is the worst ever. Embarrassingly.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2019, 01:21:14 PM
It hasn't been great this season, but it's been OK, until the latest episode, which is the worst ever.

Not a ringing endorsement! I have a long flight coming up and might get a few episodes and at least finish off the island I suppose

NoSleep

I love Archer so much I have to keep watching, but might be cautious about keeping to that after Adam Reed leaves. As I said earlier, this is the first season to feature episodes where he wasn't, even in part, responsible for the writing. If he's leaving then I'd miss Ray as well.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I'd bet on Adam Reed deciding to write four episodes with some continuity, at the beginning and the end of the season, then using the five other as some kind of open audition for spec scripts and potential show runners should the show be renewed. Don't forget that it's the only current production for the studio, as all its other projects have fallen through. If Archer ends up being canceled, it would close, just like its predecessor, 70/30, went under after Adult Swim decided not to order more episodes from The Xtacles, a show in which Reed wasn't involved.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2019, 01:26:38 PM
I love Archer so much I have to keep watching, but might be cautious about keeping to that after Adam Reed leaves. As I said earlier, this is the first season to feature episodes where he wasn't, even in part, responsible for the writing. If he's leaving then I'd miss Ray as well.

I've not seen the latest but have had mixed feelings too, I liked the second one a lot but the third was only okay, and the fourth was fairly bland. Oddly enough the guy who wrote last night's has co-written a few other episodes over the years with Reed so it's odd that it's so bad, but the AV Club disliked it too so I don't doubt you at all.

Consignia

Yeah, it's been pretty patchy, and I did really like Danger Island. I wouldn't be too arsed if they dumped the whole thing at the end of this series. I do love the Blackadder style same characters but in different situations, but the writing just hasn't been strong enough.

Adam Reed would still voice Ray even if he wasn't involved in the production anymore, wouldn't he?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Consignia on July 12, 2019, 05:19:27 PM
Yeah, it's been pretty patchy, and I did really like Danger Island. I wouldn't be too arsed if they dumped the whole thing at the end of this series. I do love the Blackadder style same characters but in different situations, but the writing just hasn't been strong enough.

Adam Reed would still voice Ray even if he wasn't involved in the production anymore, wouldn't he?

I don't know, in interviews he's always said he doesn't enjoy doing the voice work and doesn't think he's that good at it (which I disagree with) so it's not by any means guaranteed. Then again it presumably could be done over the phone in about ten minutes per episode, so I'd hope he would.

Consignia

Yeah, I agree, I think he's pretty good. Ray is such a verstile character (this season's space geisha is one of the few things to make me consistently giggle) and it's part to the portrayal. It's a shame he doesn't enjoy it.

NoSleep

I would have thought it would be the perfect combo; performing what you have written. Occasionally the other cast (even Jessica Walters) get a delivery wrong on a line, which is probably just as much the director's fault as anybody else. I don't suppose they always record the lines as an ensemble which would be the ideal, so the context can go astray. I can't remember Ray ever saying anything like he didn't understand the context.

NoSleep

Had a worrying thought: I wonder if Jessica Walter and Adam Reed both taking a back seat for the current episode was an audition for their complete absence in the future? It didn't go well.

Thursday

I think I've entirely forgotten Danger Island already, not sure I even saw it all. Really think it lost something when it stopped having any kind of ongoing arc.

Small Man Big Horse

It's been officially renewed for an eleventh season, and Reed is only going to write one episode, but he is behind the decision to wake Archer up from the coma. I'm not sure how I feel to be honest.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought this was the last episode of the season and was infuriated by the ending, only to discover that there's one more left to go. I'm less angry now but still have very mixed feelings, it wasn't that funny and that scene with Lana was pretty horrifying, even if it is all a dream.

NoSleep

Haven't seen it yet but I was thinking about last week's episode, where Lana wants to settle down on Earth and have kids and realised that Archer hasn't once dreamed of his own daughter in three coma induced seasons; and he's even managed to mourn the death of Woodhouse.

NoSleep

Speak of the Devil!

I was ok with it, as it was a quote from Alien (as was the spoon incident earlier). Archer is waking up isn't he? But he's invested in his dream life and reality is an invasion (until Woodhouse appears).

NoSleep

Also, bear in mind that Archer's own subconscious prevents him from killing Lana through the intervention of the other characters (none of whom have been eliminated, either).

Small Man Big Horse

Eh, that was okay I guess. Felt a bit pointless until the end, I just found it hard to be that invested in events given it was all a dream, and the clips from the previous episodes definitely weren't needed, but it was a mostly funny episode that I quite liked in general. I do wish it was the end, but I've enough fondness for these characters to at least check out how season 11 starts.