Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2019

Started by iamcoop, May 14, 2019, 08:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Thought I'd start a new thread for this bonanza summer ahead.

So, it seems we're still pretty good at ODI's. Do we thinks there's a chance of actually winning a trophy this year? Should Jofra Archer be included in the final XI? Should the BBC have sacked Aggers after he had a meltdown and repeatedly called the chief sports writer for the Independent a cunt on Twitter? Lots to discuss.

Chasing down a target of 350+ with ease.

I really feel for the bowlers in 50-overs cricket these days. The balance between bat and ball is nonexistent.

Still think when the pressure is on in the WC's later stages we'll crumble.

sevendaughters

Think England will do really well but one-off ODIs like a final don't always throw up two teams on their day. Predict finalists.

I am okay with Archer playing for England. People should play for who they want to play for, but you only get one choice. Most people would default to their home nation and the migrants would be relatively few. Archer merits selection for his pace and fielding.

iamcoop

It will be interesting to see what they do with Bayliss if England don't win the World Cup given he was brought on board with the sole intention of winning it at the expense of every other format.

Harry Badger

The format certainly allows for an off day since there are only two sudden death matches if you get through the group. It also allows sides to gather momentum a la Pakistan in 1992. I like the full round robin format but it's a disgrace that Ireland and others miss out. What other World Cup reduces its participants? I've got tickets for the three Saturday games in Cardiff including England v Bangladesh (though I can't go to SA v Afg on Sat 15th June - anyone want the ticket please PM). I'm sure we will find a way to stuff things up though and I'm not convinced about our seamers. Please not Australia though.

Anyone playing cricket this summer? I've managed one match (took two catches but bowled dreck and made a duck) and had two cancelled due to lack of numbers and venue respectively. Finally the season starts for me this week with two back to back games.

QuoteIt will be interesting to see what they do with Bayliss if England don't win the World Cup given he was brought on board with the sole intention of winning it at the expense of every other format.

He's going anyway isn't he?

iamcoop

Oh yeah you're right. Ignore me as usual

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm going to Headingley today with my family to see the dead rubber. Bet it's the one where one side are bowled out for 200 and take 48 overs to do it.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2019, 07:31:11 AM
I'm going to Headingley today with my family to see the dead rubber. Bet it's the one where one side are bowled out for 200 and take 48 overs to do it.

proper creekit lad

poo

This 350+ ODI bollocks is gerrin on my tit.

England getting a lesson out there right now. We need Stokes or Morgan to go big here or for Jos to go full HAM. Run rate is decent enough but nothing spectacular. Very chaseable at this point.

sevendaughters

Been a good one so far actually. SAF got some skilled bowlers, ENG assertive. The tournament format will reward consistency so ENG can just play without pressure.

Moonshine

What's the format this year? Super eights or straight to semis?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Moonshine on May 30, 2019, 01:08:37 PM
What's the format this year? Super eights or straight to semis?

10 team round robin, semis, final.

FFS Buttler out.

Needed him to go berserk and get this total up.

Moeen's been a clown with the bat for a while now.

I fuckin hate these loser cunts.

Norton Canes

"Good levers", is that the cricket equivalent of 'top bins'?

PowerButchi

Defendable total, if England get a couple of early wickets. I'm not too convinced by our seamn options out of Archer though. Bowling first would have suited the likes of Woakes more with that morning moist air.

Not bad considering Bairstow and Buttler were out for nothing. Good innings from Stokes really but maybe a match losing innings too. Fuck all boundaries in the last fifteen overs. Saffers played great to be honest.

BlodwynPig

Thug Stokes should be nowhere near cricket

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah hope he is OK, at least I hope he doesn't return to the crease. 51/3 effectively is a good comeback after that slightly tepid batting display.

The wicket looks a bit hard in terms of timing shots and the overcast conditions are just creating that nervy quiet atmosphere.

Morgan and Root need to knuckle down so they can explode later on, that double wicket really dropped us in it. The end of the innings had that depressing 'Get to 250 then collapse in a heap' feel of old England one day sides.

Mind you back then we'd have taken 310 in England gladly.

mikeyg27

So just walked in the front room as Stokes taking that catch came on the TV and suddenly I'm erect?

iamcoop

That might be the greatest catch I've ever seen.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: iamcoop on May 30, 2019, 05:21:04 PM
That might be the greatest catch I've ever seen.

Davis for the Blue Jays in the first yesterday

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Except for Tahir opening the bowling with spin, which I expect to see a lot of against Roy and Bairstow now it's worked once, SA were like watching old England. They fielded well but other than relying on a De Kock special it wasn't obvious what the game plan was.

My friend has been cynically saying how it's all about batting but today we saw the difference a raw pace bowler can add, and superstar fielding.

I'm really glad we won this won so comfortably, lot s of confidence that if we are below par with the bat we can still win.

poo

This was a drubbing. Awesome performance really considering the second ball wobble. England seem almost unflappable at the moment. Not a big ODI fan but this is the World Cup innit, and it feels like it's gonna be an interesting and entertaining competition.

poo

And looking forward to a summer of Archer vs Warner.

I love that Archer's first ball to Amla after he woke from the coma was another brain ball. Gonna be bare cabbages at the end of the cup at this rate.

Also showed how boss our batsman are when they scored fifties without anyone noticing.