Author Topic: Mum - Series 3  (Read 302 times)

Mum - Series 3
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »
The new and last series of the Lesley Manville sitcom Mum starts tomorrow on BBC Two at 10.

I've seen it already and it's brilliant as ever. I found it to be a very satisfying final series, with all the charm and pathos of the first two

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
Re: Mum - Series 3
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 11:08:26 PM »
Yeah, it's brilliant. I have cried the shit out of myself watching this. It holds up on rewatches, too.

Everybody in it is amazing, but Lesley Manville and Peter Mullan deserve all the accolades in the world for this. Lisa McGrillis is brilliant too. I think they do a good job of writing a ditzy "thicko" character with complexity and heart.

There was one scene towards the end of the second series where Peter Mullan made a face that was so impressively sad that it became a bit of a meme for me and a couple of other people. Absolutely brilliant.

Credit to Stefan Golaszewski (of Cowards) for writing this, also. He's got the touch of Alan Bennett when it comes to pathos, but far more realistic, less playlike.

neveragain

• like those swamp tar pits that bubble and go Gloop
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:36 PM »
Him & Her was also excellent.

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »
Also thumbs-up for being one of the last remaining things where the "kids" are played by actors older than me.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:20 PM »
What I love about it is the way it can set a character up as one thing and then pull the rug out from you. I can't remember the character's name but he's the boyfriend of a friend of Kelly's, appears in s1 for one episode and you think he's a tit, appears in s2 for another episode and they give him one line of dialogue that flips the character into something else and floors the viewer.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
Him & Her was also excellent.

One of the greatest things not only on BBC Three but TV in general