Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How safety conscious are you?

Started by Sin Agog, May 15, 2019, 08:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

I'm not at all.  Could do with being more of a safety freak, actually, what with all the needless scrapes I've gotten into in my life (i.e. contracting double pneumonia when I was a kid after spending the entire winter dossing about the neighbourhood in a t-shirt).  Thought of this thread after seeing a cyclist clad in what might as well have been a suit of armour with both his lights blinking away in the blazing noon sun. Kittens could learn a thing or two from that guy come to think of it.

DrGreggles

When I was at school our teacher, who was also the appointed Health & Safety guy, fell off his bike and into a quarry.

No one really listened to anything he said after that*.

*this is probably why I speak very limited French

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 15, 2019, 08:34:31 AM
When I was at school our teacher, who was also the appointed Health & Safety guy, fell off his bike and into a quarry.

No one really listened to anything he said after that*.

I had a physio a couple of years ago who was very worried indeed about my safety. Which of course made my body decide to do a comedy performance  practially every time I saw her.  As it does when I'm put under scrutiny. Which of course made her even more worried about my safety, especially because I dislocated a finger after a couple of appointments. Never mind that this wasn't even from a proper fall (I leaned too hard on a wall while off balance), never mind that it was the first actual injury I've had since 2001 (a dislocated elbow which wouldn't have happened if someone hadn't left a half-full McDonalds mayo wrapper on the pavement and I hadn't been looking in the other direction when my crutch connected with it and if it hadn't slid into a wall instead of letting me just fall straight down) and apart from that (and a couple of other dislocated fingers in the mid-90s and a couple of cracked ribs) I've never really had a fall-related injury and also that I had explained about a million times that I rarely hurt myself because as a veteran faller I know how to do it without injury, she was convinced that every second I didn't spend in a wheelchair was asking for imminent painful death.

So I have to admit I found it quite amusing when she had to cancel several appointments because she'd fallen over and hurt herself.

madhair60

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 15, 2019, 08:18:10 AM
Kittens could learn a thing or two from that guy come to think of it.

Kittens would learn a thing or two from anyone but he doesn't fucking listen.

Bazooka

I had a brief spell of OCD where I would check at least four times that I'd turned off the hobs. Now I just expect to have a piano fall on my head and get in with it.

NoSleep

I refuse to go parachute jumping. Why would you do that unless your life depended on it?

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2019, 10:01:36 AM
I refuse to go parachute jumping. Why would you do that unless your life depended on it?

This. Or ballooning. Or close to the edge of a cliff. Or hurtling down a mountain.

I don't have a fear of heights or speed - I'll quite happily stand on glass walkways, or go on rollercoasters - but if there's an appreciable risk of death from something then I'm keeping well away.

My brother is the opposite and throws himself round on a snowboard in a very ill advised fashion. He hasn't died yet so we're equal on that front, but he's had about ten broken bones to my none, so I win.

Sin Agog

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2019, 10:01:36 AM

The one time I went skydiving* I was more preoccupied by indigestion from the grotty greasy spoon breakfast I'd just had than the whole jumping out of a plane thing.  The creepy old Irishman they attached me to who kept on whispering nonsense into my ear on the ride up tried his best to phase me, though. "You see that patch of land there. That's the safari park next door.  I've only landed in the lions' enclosure the once."

*one of those Adventure Outings gifts.  I must have been in the single percentile who didn't just quietly let it expire

gilbertharding

My wife (she tells me) is constantly anxious and fears the worst whenever I go for a bike ride. To be fair, that probably is quite dangerous - I don't tell her about all the close passes and times I've not spotted a pothole on a downhill at 50km/h...

On the other hand, I remember the puzzled look on her face when I gave her a lecture (I know - but I was shocked) after she left a rake lying in the middle of the allotment with its tines facing upward. I was wearing boots which might have saved my foot - but she was wearing Converse. And had she never seen cartoons?

Pijlstaart

I'm very cackhanded now, to the point where I regularly endanger myself and my co-workers. I gassed myself with something last week. I found this old jar with "waste" written on it, and the inside had this yellow residue, so naturally I poured bleach in, and it fizzed up and gassed me. Eyes were watering and I couldn't smell anything for the rest of the day. Gas. There's more too, there's this little spot near to where I keep my frubes where the geiger counter goes whizooo, mega-beeping, and I've been cleaning it up with absorbent towelettes, but it isn't working. Now all the towelettes are beeping too, and the bins, it is spreading.Stopped checking for monsters under the bed too. I reckon it's a good way to go though, because if I die it'll be down to my own personal failings. Justice in an unjust world, used to be that people'd put a lot of stock in that.

Dr Trouser

Until 8 years ago I was a carefree risk taker; using matches to plug bare wires in, stacking chairs up to paint walls rather than a ladder, ingest a load of unknown chemicals in a pub toilet with a stranger, you know the usual.

Since having kids I now see DANGER everywhere. It's crippling.

pancreas

I am slightly an arsonist and I once set fire to a ping pong ball with lachrymal consequences. And I burnt down a kitchen at university. This was after I'd smashed through the hob trying to separate some frozen sausages. I also regularly burn myself cooking.

Piggyoioi

Never liked heights, dont climb ladders or go on fairground rides.

Frequently throughout the day ill imagine dropping the knife im holding down onto my foot, or picture myself tripping as im coming down the stairs and become another accidental death statistic. Send's a little panic throughout my body for a few seconds untill I shove the thought out my head. Same for when I see barbed wire or a those pointed sharp bits on gated walls - my brains like "imagine how shit it would be to have those things going through your stomach?".

After a couple pints though you might find me climbing a lamppost while snorting any old gakk someone offers me.