Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:41:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that are pleasurable to do, even if you can't think why

Started by 23 Daves, March 11, 2005, 08:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

To steal from Bill Bailey - the 60/30 second countdown every hour on News 24; the dance beat that builds to the ridiculously tense last five seconds, until the cut to the newsreader accomponied by the *dramatic clash* and the top headline (which rarely is sufficiently momentous enough). It makes watching the news so much more exciting.

I get a very happy but reflective sensation finding, watching, and reading the blurb of a video that I haven't seen for ages. Especially, if it brings back good memories. Discovering extremely aged recorded videos is the same; the biggest highlight is when your programme is bookended by little treats - like the wonderful, old BBC 2 and Channel 4 (building blocks) idents; the mid-'90s BBC news; and trailers for things long forgotten. The same goes for books which I read years ago and have only just dug up, but I can remember the exact circumstances of when I first read it.

Des Nilsen

It is mind-meltingly pleasurable to rub a soft towel roughly on a patch of dry, broken skin until it's raw, bloody and weeping heavily. I did this ten minutes ago and now I'm pleasantly numb.

(Apologies for the goryness of this post!)

-

zozman

What an excellent thread - I can't believe nobody's said breaking the seal on a fresh jar of coffee or drinking chocolate with a spoon.  Ah, so satisfying.....

QuoteFinding something someone's written in the back of a library book.
Yup.

Opening the first can of beer of the weekend, or ordering a pint when you've just had a game of football with your mates.

Driving when every single traffic light turns green as you approach.

Having the dog dead chuffed to see you after a shitty day.

The feeling you get when you realise Jesus died for our sins.  Nah, not really.

Baxter

QuoteSpac-attack"
I used this phrase after a huge fit and everyone in the room looked at me in disgust

Oh and about the male wee/orgasm thing i read a bit in the times last week that asserted that the male orgas was unto itself no better than really needing a wee and then haing one, since then i've felt slightly depressed whenever i go to the toilet because (unto itself) it's horribly true.[/quote]

Mr Skinnylegs

This is utterly disgusting and I apologise in advance:

Picking at the psoriasis on my head and having it come off in one big flake.

It's like little bits of parchment....

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "dr_lightning"This is utterly disgusting and I apologise in advance:

You know, I'm not going to admit any of the things like that which I enjoy.

PeachSmints

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"
Quote from: "dr_lightning"This is utterly disgusting and I apologise in advance:

You know, I'm not going to admit any of the things like that which I enjoy.
I might have to though...erm...popping spots. My shame is immense.

On a less disgusting note, I also really enjoy smacking the top of creme brulee with a spoon. Yes, I ripped that off from Amelie but it's just so enjoyable.

Also, walking into a used book shop and taking a big whiff. Something about old paper smells really lovely to me.

mayer

- Not done it for a while, but covering your hand in pretty much any sort of glue (except pritt stick) and peeling it off in large bits.

- Squeezing spots, especially blackheads, especially on your shoulders.

- Alphabetizing CDs.

- Ejaculating on someone's breasts. Feeling-wise, you could be ejaculating anywhere, but, I dunno, it feels marvellous.

- Making yourself throw up when you're really drunk.

- Breaking the yolk of a fried egg with a chip or bit of toast, and seeing it all run out as you mop it up.

- Playing the drums. LIke hoovering, hearing someone else do it is a painful experience, but doing it yourself, irrespective of ability, is such a release.

- Only done it the once, but reformatting a computer. You feel like a Catholic after confession when it's done and It's all clean.

- The *first* drag on a new cigarette. Not just a nicotine fix, because you've had 15 before, but, like the first bite of an apple, that first drag always feels best.

- Burning things or smashing glass. When we were chucking old fucked up furniture down the dump, I always liked chucking the glass things and hearing them smash. When I had to say goodbye to my Amiga 1000 (not the Keyboard though, I've kept that for the memories), I remember chucking the broken monitor and almost hearing it scream as it crashed.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "PeachSmints"I might have to though...erm...popping spots. My shame is immense.
Naaaah, I think most people enjoy that one on the quiet.  Especially those ones on the forehead that have good solid bone underneath them so they can't sink under your skin when you...

I'd better stop now.

The gorgeous smell of second hand books.  Loooovely stuff.

Finding things which belong to other people who used to live in your house.

And the best of all- biting a really thick bit of toenail right off in one piece then spitting it across the room.

Suttonpubcrawl

Ah, here are a few more:

Writing with a fountain pen on nice smooth paper.

Typing on a keyboard that makes a satisfying clicking sound (my current keyboard makes THE BEST clicking sound of any keyboard ever, this is a fact and can be verified by testing and referring to websites about keyboards).

Making a computer work (like when the power supply in my computer failed and I installed a replacement, there is a strange kind of satisfaction about having identified the problem, obtained the necessary replacement part and slotted it in, enabling you to carry on as normal).

Eating a fried breakfast early in the morning after a massive piss up (had one of those today for £1.99 from the university cafe, absolutely lovely)

Setting off on a long motorway journey, (preferably if I'm doing the driving).

Listening to an album on the train or bus when you're doing nothing and can devote your full attention to the music without being distracted by anything else.

Jimmy

Another yes for the spots

And the glue- I remember at primary school we'd waste so much PVA through dunking our hands in it so we could peel it off once it had dried. When you get some just in the right place over the nail...it's peeltastic

Also, peeling sellotape off a surface

Finding a thick hair under the gloss on a painted piece of furniture i.e the small bookcase i own that my grandad made. You spot the hair, scratch the top layer of paint/gloss away to reveal it. Then when you can get enough purchase on it, make it free!

The feel of (your own) recently shaven testicles against the skin. No? Just me then? Honestly it's good to let them breathe now and again...

Labelling a blank VHS with a black marker pen/ felt-tip

Jangling the change in your pocket

Rubbing a hot ceramic mug of tea on your face, or holding your palm across the top till it gets wet with condensation.

hymen spaz

zozman

Similar to what Mayer said, but putting bottles into a bottle bank with just enough force so they smash.

Working any powertool, but especially dangerous ones like chainsaws and angle-grinders.  No goggles obviously.

Pissing outdoors.

Finding money that you didn't know you had in the pockets of your trousers before you put them in the washer (the best one this, in my opinion)

Hearing a really clever rhyme in a song unexpectedly - usually with two or three syllables.  The only one I can think of at the minute is from The Smiths

QuoteAnd if you ever need self-validation, just meet me in the alley by the railway station, it'sall over my face

And I think we all know what's all over his face.

phes

laying on your back on the floor and throwing an object torward the ceiling, seeing how close you can get it without it actually touching.

And another vote for the smell of old books, except the ones that smell of sick.

Cerys

On the subject of old books - oh yes.  We've got a Book of Knowledge set that dates from about the 1950s, and sniffing the pages is so nostalgic for me that sometimes I bury my face in them and takes a good long whiff.  Then I remember that some of the old book smell is often fungal in origin, and get a psychosomatic wheezing fit.

Biting into a fried-egg sarnie when the yolk of the egg is runny.  If you do it right the yolk just flows warmly and comfortably into your mouth, and it feels like vampirism.  Only with bread instead of necks.

shit as fuck

- The first smoke of the day.  My last was usually at about 9 the previous night and I'll wait till about midday for the first of the day.  It feels like every inch of skin is all warm and fuzzy.

- A smoke after preparing, eating and washing up after a complicated and delicious meal.  

- Clean bed-linen.  Enhanced by having a shower directly before getting in.

- Smelling something, anything.  I have such a weak sense of smell that I often go for months without ever being aware of the olfactory world around me.  When I do smell something it is always an interesting and pleasureable experience.  Even though its usually just toilet bleach or dog shit.

- Looking up at the sky on a clear night and remembering how amazing the stars look, wondering how you always manage to forget this.

- Opening a new pack of fags, tearing off first the top section of shrink wrap, then the bottom, then the foil 'Pull' tab.  In fact, just the feel of a full pack, with its wrapping still on, the weight of it is very nice, reassuring.

Bogey

If you've got remote locking on your car, the ability to flounce away and lock your doors with a mere tap of the thumb, instead of fiddling around with the key like some kind of square. In its own small way, it changed my life.

Also, re. Amélie, plunging your hand into a sack of grain is very pleasurable indeed, not that you get sacks of grain anywhere, ever, in the real world.

Still Not George

I have a recording of a Scotswoman saying "flibbertigibbet." It gives me immense pleasure for no adequately describable reason.

Also: Waking up after a 10-hour sleep with a raging caffeine craving, then soothing it with a cup of fresh coffee. Real, not instant. It's like pure joy in neurotransmitter form.

Washing all the oil and grime off of sore hands with hot water at the end of a hard days work.

dan dirty ape

Peeling the label clean off a cold beer bottle

Reading in the bath

Doing a running commentary on your own actions in a shit 'David Bowie' voice when there's no one else in the flat (I suspect that one's just me)

Bogey

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"Doing a running commentary on your own actions in a shit 'David Bowie' voice when there's no one else in the flat (I suspect that one's just me)
Not for much longer though, I've no doubt.

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: "Dan Dirty Ape"(I suspect that one's just me)
Um, nope. Me too. Honestly thought I was the only one. Ms Nktonga thinks I'm mad. Sometimes sing the commentary too. It's a trick trying to get it to rhyme.

untitled_london

when she swallows it and says yum!

laughing till it hurts

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Still Not George"I have a recording of a Scotswoman saying "flibbertigibbet." It gives me immense pleasure for no adequately describable reason.
I don't suppose you'd care to share that anywhere, would you?

Timmay

Pulling off the protective plastic you get on gadget's screens, to reveal lovely virginal plastic perfection.

Beagle 2

Secretly enjoying your new husky sexah voice when you have a cold

Tying crisp packets in a knot

People being inexplicably in awe of the fact I can flick off bottletops with a lighter

Humming the theme from Tony Harts "the gallery" while in a lift/on an escalator

Burning things

Cambrian Times

Having your cat brush up against your legs when you have just shaved them.

The legs not the cat.

Mick Jagger dancing.  I know I look as stupid as hell but it makes me laugh like mad.