Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ship on which at least 700 died displayed as "art"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 15, 2019, 11:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

People can sit and have a chat next to the hull of a ship which sank in 2015, killings hundreds of people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48252938

QuoteSwiss-Icelandic artist Christoph Büchel brought the boat to the Biennale which opened to the public at the weekend.

He said that his exhibit, Barca Nostra (Our Boat), was intended to be "a monument to contemporary migration".

https://twitter.com/gchumanrights/status/1126116450530361344

It seems rather tasteless to me. The idea that something is ok because it is "art" is problematic. I agree that people need to be aware that thousands of people are being killed fleeing oppression but I question whether this way is working. A note on a wall which I doubt many would read doesn't add much - an exhibition with the stories of migrants and information on why deaths like those in 2015 happen would be better.

Sin Agog

I think it's good.  Nefarious cunts use politesse all the time to get away with the grottiest shit. Remember when Thatcher died how we were all encouraged to respect the dead, irregardless of what the dead had done? To quote I, Claudius: 'Let all the poison that lurks in the mud, hatch out.'

Cuellar

I imagine the 'crass' interactions with it are all part of it.

thenoise

As a museum piece, I can see it having a place within a proper context, perhaps along with video and written accounts of migrants, some historical context, etc.  I don't see any particular reason to display it as an 'artwork' with some artist cunt taking credit (and presumably, money) for it.

bgmnts

Belongs in a museum. If any cunt 'artist' is making a profit off this I hop3 he drowns in his own piss, and then is stuffed full of cunt and hanged on against the hull of the ship.

Now that's art.

Butchers Blind

Sin Agog

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Büchel

This guy has butted heads with fascists before making pro-Muslim art.  I know this is a lame, shrill truism, but h'white deaths do come with in-built media attention the way deaths like these don't.
My interpretation of this piece is he's telling us not to flinch or look away, but really see what happened head-on.  It might have been more obvious if he'd built a giant glass case and wrote an essay on what he was trying to say, but on-the-nose political art is naff as fuck.

Dex Sawash

gilbertharding

Quote from: bgmnts on May 15, 2019, 12:16:27 PM
Belongs in a museum. If any cunt 'artist' is making a profit off this I hop3 he drowns in his own piss, and then is stuffed full of cunt and hanged on against the hull of the ship.

Now that's art.

Don't think all art is the same. Reading this: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/may/07/boat-in-which-hundreds-of-migrants-died-displayed-at-venice-biennale?CMP=share_btn_tw the whole thing seems to be much more of a project than an object - and its purpose is definitely to make people think, rather than to give anyone a profit.

I'm sure that the artist is being paid, mind.

Replies From View

To be fair a lot of old houses have probably seen a lot of deaths too, but you are still allowed to pop around for a cup of tea in them when someone you know lives there and invites you.

I agree that it is a fucking minefield though.  In the sense that people tend to die in minefields.

Buelligan

It's a unique piece.  The poor are dying everywhere.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 15, 2019, 11:48:54 AM
I think it's good.  Nefarious cunts use politesse all the time to get away with the grottiest shit. Remember when Thatcher died how we were all encouraged to respect the dead, irregardless of what the dead had done? To quote I, Claudius: 'Let all the poison that lurks in the mud, hatch out.'

Saying "irregardless" is worse than anything Thatcher ever did, and I include stealing the milk in that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on May 15, 2019, 03:38:05 PM
It's a unique piece.  The poor are dying everywhere.

Not inside my urethra they're not.  I shower every morning thank you (not inside my urethra).

Sin Agog

Quote from: Replies From View on May 15, 2019, 03:38:33 PM
Saying "irregardless" is worse than anything Thatcher ever did, and I include stealing the milk in that.

I didn't say irregardless. I typed it.

Replies From View