Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Mirror Season 5 trailer out now!

Started by qwerty616, May 15, 2019, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

Quote from: phantom_power on June 10, 2019, 09:35:03 PM
I think we were just supposed to think that the kidnapper had a grudge against the Smithereen man because of his app and that the Smithereen man was going to be evil but it turned out the he was sympathetic and the kidnapper just felt guilty

I thought he was going to be the drunk driver, who used his power and influence to change the whole narrative of the thing and had a dead passenger pinned as the drunk driver instead.

phantom_power

It was a really funny episode as well, despite the subject matter. Almost a farce in the middle section

Ja'moke

Quote from: phantom_power on June 10, 2019, 09:35:03 PM
I think we were just supposed to think that the kidnapper had a grudge against the Smithereen man because of his app and that the Smithereen man was going to be evil but it turned out the he was sympathetic and the kidnapper just felt guilty

There was definitely a lot of "everyone is addicted to their phones," "they can't take their eyes off the screen." Not just from your main man constantly saying that, but the focus on the kids filming and live-tweeting the hostage situation. How the woman he met in counseling was trying to find answers about her daughter via social media.

And then there was the point about how tech companies have quicker access to personal info than the police and FBI... as someone else here mentioned, that was the most interesting angle, and I was hoping they'd explore that a bit more.

Lord Mandrake

The only thing that really took me out of Smithereens was the whole Police operation, just no way does a Gold Commander start talking to facebook people or the FBI for that matter, no way is a shot authorized in that situation and no way is a shot missed.

thugler

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 11, 2019, 02:15:43 PM
The only thing that really took me out of Smithereens was the whole Police operation, just no way does a Gold Commander start talking to facebook people or the FBI for that matter, no way is a shot authorized in that situation and no way is a shot missed.

Yeah the police never get stuff like that wrong do they?

YOU WHAT?

Icehaven

Quote from: thugler on June 11, 2019, 03:43:44 PM

YOU WHAT?

I actually thought they were going to mention either Jean Charles De Menezes or Mark Duggan at that point.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 11, 2019, 02:15:43 PM

Did they nick Gold Commander from Line of Duty....what a fucking joke the British police force is.

thugler

Quote from: icehaven on June 11, 2019, 04:41:29 PM
I actually thought they were going to mention either Jean Charles De Menezes or Mark Duggan at that point.

They did refer to duggan, Mentioned something about a starter pistol and him being unarmed.

Head Gardener

saw Smithereens last night and though the missus rated it I thought it was too long, unbelievable, contrived and full of logic holes, I liked the one with the Mortal Kombat theme a lot more

Icehaven

Just watched the last one with the pop star and all I can say is IT'S A FUCKING NINE INCH NAILS SONG!!! IT'S. BY. FUCKING. NINE. INCH. NAILS. "I wrote this one about my aunt" NO YOU DIDN'T TRENT REZNOR WROTE IT 30 YEARS AGO THEN ALLOWED IT BE REIMAGINED FOR MONEY. Honestly though hearing the first strains of the 'pop' version I thought I was hearing things. From this series of Black Mirror I have learned that technology is evil again and nothing is sacred.
I'm woefully naive as at one point I thought the storyline was going to be that these songs that came to her 'in dreams' were ripped off from rock songs she heard in her subconsciously remembered youth. No such credit due apparently. I blame Johnny Cash.

phantom_power

It was like a shit, backdoor Asylum remake of that film about no-one knowing who the Beatles are that is coming out soon

gib

Quote from: thugler on June 11, 2019, 05:40:48 PM
They did refer to duggan, Mentioned something about a starter pistol and him being unarmed.

The gun connected to Duggan wasn't a starter pistol though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Mark_Duggan#The_gun

thugler

Quote from: gib on June 11, 2019, 09:23:36 PM
The gun connected to Duggan wasn't a starter pistol though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Mark_Duggan#The_gun

Right you are. Dunno where i got starter pistol from then

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: thugler on June 11, 2019, 03:43:44 PM

YOU WHAT?

Well, they conduct something close to 20,000 firearms ops a year so no, not never but very rarely. At 4 - 500 yards a sharp shooter could put one through Moriarty's nostril.

I liked the Street Fighter one can't decide which is worse out of the other two. Probably the hostage/Facebook crap.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on June 09, 2019, 12:42:12 AM
Striking Vipers is a Cum Town bit come to life, fucking hilarious.

Just catching up with season 5 and I thought this too. Is it supposed to be funny? It's all played as a drama but it was making me laugh a fair bit.

Glebe

I recently binge-watched the whole of Black Mirror on me recently-purchased Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet. I was gonna do a surmise of the experience, but I couldn't be arsed in the end.

up_the_hampipe

Striking Vipers was silly but fun. Smithereens was compelling, but the plot felt a bit stupid when it was all done.

The Miley Cyrus episode. Fucking hell. I'm still reeling about how atrocious that was. It's like her people paid Charlie Brooker to write a bad teen movie and stick it in his TV series. The plot was terrible, not a single joke landed, the ending was embarrassing, the "message" it was trying to send about the toxicity of fame was so unoriginal it was almost a parody. Miley is a good actress, but my goodness. I am stunned that anyone in this thread thought that was any good.

Catalogue Trousers

I didn't mind the last episode, but it really didn't feel like Black Mirror any more. With its 'kids are alright' message and protagonists, comedy car chase, clueless but lovable Dad and evil Aunt, it felt more like some Children's Film Foundation filler, with the Ashley Too taking the place of Sammy's Super T-Shirt.

phantom_power

I like that Black Mirror can be more than just grim future noir. That episode wasn't brilliant but it was OK and I don't think the tone was the issue.

Dex Sawash

Finished the final one over a week or so in 15 minute bits. Like a Saturday morning kids tv special with added darkness. Not a huge step at the end to transition from Mylie Cyrus to Avril Lavigne.

Chollis

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 13, 2019, 11:34:59 AM
Well, they conduct something close to 20,000 firearms ops a year so no, not never but very rarely. At 4 - 500 yards a sharp shooter could put one through Moriarty's nostril.

Only got round to watching these recently. They were alright. I had to comment on the stupidity of this bit though, why the fuck did the sharpshooter take up position in such a fucking DUMB place. "Sorry serg I can't get a clear shot" cos you fucking SET UP your fucking firing line at the worst possible angle, where any shot would exit the target and kill the hostage too. Why don't you move along 20 yards and just shoot his head off cleanly from the side. Fuck sake.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: icehaven on June 11, 2019, 07:52:32 PM
Just watched the last one with the pop star and all I can say is IT'S A FUCKING NINE INCH NAILS SONG!!! IT'S. BY. FUCKING. NINE. INCH. NAILS. "I wrote this one about my aunt" NO YOU DIDN'T TRENT REZNOR WROTE IT 30 YEARS AGO THEN ALLOWED IT BE REIMAGINED FOR MONEY. Honestly though hearing the first strains of the 'pop' version I thought I was hearing things. From this series of Black Mirror I have learned that technology is evil again and nothing is sacred.
I'm woefully naive as at one point I thought the storyline was going to be that these songs that came to her 'in dreams' were ripped off from rock songs she heard in her subconsciously remembered youth. No such credit due apparently. I blame Johnny Cash.

There were two NIN songs used. Head Like a Hole (with rewritten lyrics) from Pretty Hate Machine and Right Where It Belongs from With Teeth. Brooker's used songs from Nine Inch Nails before in various episodes of Screenwipe I think. Unless I'm getting confused with the bits Adam Curtis occasionally contributed, as he's definitely used a lot of Reznor's music in his documentaries. But I think Brooker used some in his own content too.