Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Mirror Season 5 trailer out now!

Started by qwerty616, May 15, 2019, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

imitationleather

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 22, 2019, 09:20:29 PM
A possible reference to Rita, Sue and Bob Too from Brooker there?

It'd be weird if it wasn't!

St_Eddie

Quote from: imitationleather on May 22, 2019, 09:21:03 PM
It'd be weird if it wasn't!

I shouldn't doubt my suspicions so much.

Actually, that's probably not a wise thing to say, as a person who's prone to suffering from paranoid thoughts.

BlodwynPig

mothman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 22, 2019, 10:02:00 PM
I've seen more exciting episodes of Watercolour challenge.

Just had an idea for season 6.

Golden E. Pump

Everyone's tits and willies are digitally blurred until you pay £9.99 a month to unlock your premium eyes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on May 22, 2019, 10:11:43 PM
Just had an idea for season 6.

David turns to watercolour painting as therapy after his wife and children are obliterated in a car accident caused by *insert big named up and coming American actor here*.

A friend mentions a new TV series on Channel 4 that he should apply to be on. It's hosted by Hannah Gordon "you're really talented and Hannah looks a bit like your wife".

After successfully getting through the auditions, the production team take him and the other contestants to a hillside overlooking the City of Bath. David sets up his kit in trembling anticipation of meeting Hannah.

Cherie Lunghi appears and introduces the judges. She is a 1 episode stand-in for Hannah.

David paints a Rolfaroo in rage and disgust, before hurling himself off the hillside, suffering minor abrasions on the gentle slope as he tumbles down toward Smallcombe Garden Cemetery.

Lunghi's robotic laughter echoes downwards and her laser eyes burn fiercely in the waning evening light...

KennyMonster

Don't know why there's all this hatred of Andrew Scott, I think he's good.

In his Black Mirror episode he plays a wannabe reality TV star who gets trapped inside a recurring Bebo.

Icehaven

Sam Woollaston strikes again.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/01/charlie-brooker-interview-annabel-jones-black-mirror

It's not a very good interview (obviously) but a few of Brooker's observations about BM's inspirations/intentions etc. are interesting.

olliebean

Quote from: icehaven on June 01, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
Sam Woollaston strikes again.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/01/charlie-brooker-interview-annabel-jones-black-mirror

It's not a very good interview (obviously) but a few of Brooker's observations about BM's inspirations/intentions etc. are interesting.

Anything that isn't in the book?

I see the Guardian has a 16-page "souvenir" Black Mirror supplement today, btw.

Icehaven

mothman

Does it have Bandersnatch in it? And now with a fifth season should we be waiting for an updated second edition?

BlodwynPig

Icehaven

neveragain

It's very interesting! An enjoyable read.

Icehaven

In the course of ordering it I found several other seemingly quite academic discourses like these;

Which are probably a bit much for the casual reader such as myself but has anyone tried them?

BlodwynPig

Subjective bullshit for the distracted generation

neveragain

Well they were fucking excellent. A mix of styles. Striking Vipers not the weakest per se but the other two are certainly stronger. Andrew Scott provides some perfectly tense drama.

BritishHobo

Aye, Striking Vipers was quite a sweet watch, but Smithereens really blew me away. I used to be dead wary of Andrew Scott because of Sherlock, but that performance staggered me. What an episode. That has to be one of the best they've done.

Saving the Hannah Montana episode for tomorrow. So far though, this feels like a great comeback. I was worried last time that they might have done all they wanted with the show, since series 4 had a lot of similar ideas, but this (along with Bandersnatch) show they've got loads more to give. I'd be quite happy having them just drop three episodes every once in a while, on the strength of these.

Ja'moke

Interesting to see the positive reaction to Smithereens, that was my least favourite of the three. I thought it petered out massively after the first 20 minutes or so and didn't really have a lot to say for itself, and what it did have to say (its attack on social media addiction) has been done better in previous episodes like Nosedive and Be Right Back.

The Miley Cyrus episode was the best of the bunch, in my opinion, as not only did Cyrus give a great performance, while also adding some real credibility to a story about an international pop star, but I thought its satirical attack on music industry exploitation was spot on - especially with the recent rise of "hologram tours" and what have you. It also managed to be fun as well as depressingly bleak.

For those interested, I recapped all three episodes at TV Insider:

Smithereens: https://www.tvinsider.com/781958/black-mirror-season-5-smithereens-recap/

Striking Vipers: https://www.tvinsider.com/782916/black-mirror-season-5-striking-vipers-recap/

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too: https://www.tvinsider.com/783000/black-mirror-season-5-rachel-jack-and-ashley-too-recap/

Rev+

I've only seen Striking Vipers so far, and if it isn't the worst episode of Black Mirror then I must have had some sort of mind-erasing device applied to me, like they have in the future.  It was a clear attempt at doing something like San Junipero again, but that doesn't work without character development.

St_Eddie

Huh?  This started, has it?  Cor blimey, Governor.  I say.  Pip pip.

Petey Pate

An issue Super Ape magazine appeared framed on a wall in Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too. Is this the first Nathan Barley reference in Black Mirror?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Twed on May 22, 2019, 06:48:33 PM
She's actually pretty cool. She has sinus tachycardia

Yeah, well so does Tony Blair... Seriously, Miley Cyrus was good fun as a guest judge on Drag Race, she's a great bunch of lads, probably.

Watching Striking Vipers now, which by coincidence is also dragging a bit.

BlodwynPig

Glad to hear that BM has eaten itself

Time for something fresh and new

Repeats of Beasts, please

Blue Jam

The silver eyes from The Entire History Of You, the implant thing from San Junipero and Crocodile... Is it me or are these unsubtle callbacks looking more like the lazy recycling of ideas?

I'm expecting to hear Anyone Who Knows What Love Is... any minute now.

BlodwynPig

It's a show for Americans now. All the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the nether regions.

Blue Jam

...yep, Striking Vipers was a bit bollocks. Strip out all the VR stuff and you're left with a standard soap opera plot.

Are the other new ones better?