Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,475
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why aren't panel shows the best and funniest thing ever committed to film?

Started by Mobbd, May 15, 2019, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

I'm not completely against panel shows, but here's a genuine question concerning why they aren't better:

Given that so many podcasts of two dudes talking, unedited, for an hour are at least B+ funny, how is it that the same levels of funny can't be reached by editing together the creme of three hours' of Britain's finest comic talent?

Hello by the way.

madhair60

Quote from: Mobbd on May 15, 2019, 03:05:29 PM
I'm not completely against panel shows, but here's a genuine question concerning why they aren't better:

Given that so many podcasts of two dudes talking, unedited, for an hour are at least B+ funny, how is it that the same levels of funny can't be reached by editing together the creme of three hours' of Britain's finest comic talent?

Hello by the way.

um excuse me? "two dudes"? are you TRYING to get #cancelled??

Sin Agog

I do generally find an alright panel show joke more tittersome than a great stand-up joke because of at least the illusion of spontaneity (aren't a lot of them fed lines?).  But panel shows really feel like they've had their day at the moment, don't they?  Only explanation I can think of is because they relied too long on a broken conveyor belt for guests.  Repeated too many of the same faces, and then pushed too many new milquetoasts.  Imagine someone like Nick Mullen on a panel show? 

ajsmith2

Apologies for being a smart arse here, but part of it is that none of them have ever been made on film, as they're nearly without exception made using a multi-camera video setup.

In fact, that is an interesting question: has any panel show in panel show history ever been made on film? I can't think it would help them get any funnier, in fact it would surely work against the format, hence why it's never done, but it would be interesting to see if there are any examples. And heck, maybe in these day of bland soul rotting panel show ubiquitousness, it might be worth trying just to shake things up. Maybe it could help lend QI the air of stately but avuncular authority it strives for, etc etc...

thenoise

I think the reasons I enjoy podcasts and radio 4 panel show comedy to the TV version is: I'm doing other things at the same time, so my expectation is lower and I'll happily wait 15-20 minutes between laughs and just enjoy the light hearted distraction. When I'm staring at a TV, I'm seeking something that takes the whole of my attention, so I get frustrated when so many jokes don't land. And I hate seeing their smug faces when they get a laugh out of the specially prepared studio audience (and fuck all out of me).
I think they're are a bit over written, too. The nice simple concept of 'the unbelievable truth' versus the needless 'rounds' style of 'would I lie to you', for example. Too much structure for the laughs to come naturally.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 15, 2019, 03:19:49 PM
I do generally find an alright panel show joke more tittersome than a great stand-up joke because of at least the illusion of spontaneity (aren't a lot of them fed lines?).  But panel shows really feel like they've had their day at the moment, don't they?  Only explanation I can think of is because they relied too long on a broken conveyor belt for guests.  Repeated too many of the same faces, and then pushed too many new milquetoasts.  Imagine someone like Nick Mullen on a panel show?

So many of them being a closed shop of the exact same fifteen or so guests has definitely contributed to my own personal fatigue with them. Also the sheer number of them that has been on TV this century, the increasingly-shit ideas for formats and the sense that a lot are made without anyone involved in the process really caring much about the programme or what quality it is at all.

Sebastian Cobb

Watered down mostly for mass appeal but also for compliance reasons.

Compare DTRT to the R4 version Dilemma, watered down, more famous 'household' guests, but less funny.

jsgibble

Blumf

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 15, 2019, 03:22:28 PM
In fact, that is an interesting question: has any panel show in panel show history ever been made on film?

The 'What Are Sex Perverts?' section of Woody Allen's film Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask) (1972)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_You_Always_Wanted_to_Know_About_Sex*_%28*But_Were_Afraid_to_Ask%29_%28film%29