Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Regular Rotation

Started by The Boston Crab, May 15, 2019, 03:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How do you STRUCTURE your playing of vid games?

Do you have a regular rotation?

Do you have one longer game on the BB (back burner)?

Do you have a spreadsheet of the holy curated 'backlog' which you produce every time anyone mentions buying one game they haven't had time to instantly Platinum?

Do you just play pick up and play arcade games so when you think back over the last few years of leisure time and look at your bank account you can vaguely reconcile some causal link but the overwhelming and most enduring impact is one of emptiness and the gnawing shame of impulsivity.

___

For me, I have several long games I boot up and turn off every other week on the PS4 and XB1. This is probably a few hours of gaming time each week.

I then spend a lot of time on the Switch downloading, deleting and then redownloading different games and scrolling through my abandoned eShop purchases to try to curate 'the perfect dashboard'. This typically involves six rows of six games because spatially, this is quite satisfying. I try to get a balance of icon colours, can't have two dark ones next to each other, can't deal with pure black or just a bad icon so Undertale and Octopath Traveler seldom make the cut. Anything Neo Geo or with a cheap font will get culled. Anything with inexplicably muted colours like Puyo Puyo Tetris or Lumines is long consigned to the dustbin. There needs to be an aesthetic balance so when I scroll up and down, nothing stands out as bad or jarring.

Beyond the visual sensory impact, it's important to have a range of games and the more iconic the better. ARMS will never leave the system because of the boldness of the icon and font but also the uniqueness of the gameplay. Splatoon 2, likewise. Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, BotW, yes, but also Rolling Gunner, Psyvariar Delta, Astebreed, BlazBlue Calamity Trigger, even Owlboy, an objectively shit game. Virtua Racing gets extra points for being Japanese eShop only.

In terms of actual games I play, about twenty different identikit bullet hell shmups on my knock off 360. All other games are dead.

madhair60

I play until I get a hard-on, then I alt+tab and masturbate. I'm usually too exhausted to continue after this. The entire session can last as long as six hours, or as little as five minutes.

Walking around games had dey time
Shoot a spaceship games havin dey time
Who next got dey time

the

I usually have an amble through my MAME list by most-played and pick one

Bazooka

My work schedule has reduced my game play time to 8:15am -9:00am in the week, been playing gameboy colour Mario Tennis.

996, mother fucker. Get off those damn video games and make country glorious.

Cuellar

Play game until bored to tears with it
Keep playing it
Years later find new game
Repeate