Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me solve an awkward social situation

Started by wooders1978, May 15, 2019, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

People tend to get pushy about people not rsvp'ing to wedding invites. I got told off for not rsvp'ing when I was best man.

chveik

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on May 15, 2019, 04:22:13 PM
Why did you find out so late about the wedding? Normally these are scheduled months in advance. Are you an afterthought?

Almost.  An afterbirth.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2019, 06:46:43 PM
Take your pal as your +1, sorted.
That does rather seem the best of options. What's your chuffed to bit mates at just getting married mate going to do, say " Who the FUCK is this almighty CUNT you've brought with you to pollute this most beautiful and bountiful days for me? You absolutely BOUNDER! "( Unless you're mate's Piers Morgan , or someone ). You could pretend you're shagging him, just for one day ( David Bowie considers , etc. )

wooders1978

Bringing him as a plus one was not suggested so therefore not on offer

So I've nipped it in the bud and told my mate - I think he's ok - we did manage to reschedule for late August

Icehaven

You don't always get a +1 though, particularly when spaces are at a premium (avoids partners or dates you've never met* taking up valuable room, which is allegedly what happened when a close friend of mine got married years ago and invited me and my boyfriend but another close friend he knew through me who was gay only got an invite for himself, not his boyfriend and there was no +1. Officially it was because the couple had met my boyfriend a few times but hadn't met our mate's one, but he got the hump as he was convinced it was because the bride and her family (and the ceremony as it turned out) were ultra religious and would have been uncomfortable with a gay couple, and after going I think he was probably right.)

* Didn't someone on here recently mention having a 1 night stand with girl and end up being her +1 at a wedding the next day at which she was a bridesmaid so he, a total stranger, ended up in all the photos and at the top table etc. then never saw any of them again?

Captain Z

Obviously bin off the wedding. You made plans with your mate first, and weddings are the pits anyway. Ooh, love each other, do you? Want to spend the rest of your lives together? Fetch me a bucket. Ooh now it's time to be forced to sit next to people you didn't really want to talk to for an entire 6 course meal. Ooh spose i better get up and dance to Sweet Child O Mine now.

Replies From View

Quote from: wooders1978 on May 15, 2019, 08:04:53 PM
Bringing him as a plus one was not suggested so therefore not on offer

It's quite normal to not have a specific plus one suggested or advised.  It's their wedding day but there is a limit to how much they can control your contribution, so to speak.

Bring half of a toaster each, then if they kick him out they'll have to make do with only half a toaster.

Emma Raducanu

If you really want to go to the wedding, just go. Firstly, it wasn't you who didn't invite him. Secondly, your mate probably isn't that arsed about going to yours either and might be slightly relieved he can just stay at home with his wife anyway. I say that as it's how I tend to feel when plans go tits up now.

Kelvin

Quote from: Buelligan on May 15, 2019, 04:10:14 PM
You've invited your friend so you don't go to the wedding.  You explain to the other that you've invited him so you can't come to their stupid exclusive fucking nuptials.

Exactly this. Unless you can move the dates around, which I assume you can't, you just tell the friend you can't attend the wedding because it would be doubly insulting to fuck over your visiting friend who isn't invited. Years ago, my friend and I were both invited to a mutual friends wedding, but only I was invited to the meal. I fucked that off, because I didn't want to leave my other mate alone all afternoon. Most reasonable people will understand that. They might even be willing to invite your other friend if they've had a few other people decline.

Alberon