Author Topic: The return of David Berman  (Read 212 times)

The return of David Berman
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:48 PM »

Re: The return of David Berman
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
I bloody bloody bloody loved Silver Jews but when DB retired from the muusic scene in order to fight his cunt dad, I presumed we'd heard the last of him. He resurfaced a few years ago singing on an Avalanches song where he sounded like he was about to die but nothing since then, not even any writing. BUT!!! It seems that he's back. Under the name Purple Mountains, he's got a (presumably very limited) EP that seems to have sold out everywhere except for Leeds' Jumbo Records with an LP due in a couple of months.

The song itself is only available on vinyl, no downloads or streaming available although (I'm just copying this all from a post I read on a website) you can hear it on hour 2, 53:50 ish here here. Album features members of Woods and Anna St Louis.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:38 PM »
Haha, it sounds like Silver Jews but with keyboards. Which to me is a plus.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »
I’d prefer another book of his poetry but I’m glad to see he’s ‘active’ again. I remember an interview with Bob Nastanovich where he said David was spending all of his time buying toys from junk shops and making them into massive sculptures.

SteveDave

• My LPs ^^^ are still for sale
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »
My friend plays on that record and says D. Berman is "one of the most genuinely nuts people I've
ever worked with or interacted with..."

I tried to find this 12" today but instead bought "McCartney II" and "Muswell Hillbillies"

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »
I watched that documentary about them playing in Israel and he is quite a singular chap. Not nuts, just he knows himself and pursues his thing. I used to love his blog, Menthol Mountains, turned me onto a lot of good and interesting things.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
Wonderful Life by Black! That's what it reminded me of.

Video out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvUBbROsXBw