Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The return of David Berman

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 15, 2019, 09:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Well, this is a brilliant album.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: SteveDave on May 16, 2019, 04:49:43 PM
I tried to find this 12" today but instead bought "McCartney II" and "Muswell Hillbillies"

ouch.

sevendaughters

the Quietus missing the point too quickly - https://thequietus.com/articles/26795-purple-mountains-david-berman-review

QuotePurple Mountains is noteworthy for scaling back much of these tendencies, its ten songs near-relentlessly bleak confessionals with very slim pickings for fans of things like jokes, or even wordplay.

Is it just me or is there like a zinger in 7/8 out of 10 songs, with there being loads in some of those?

Still, it is positive.

SteveDave

Noel Gardner there- a man who I once saw repeatedly kicking a lamppost outside the Garage because he was too drunk to remember where he'd left his bag. I also took him to Peel Acres and we got a piddly little review in some Welsh Music Board magazine. I last saw him huffing poppers from a handkerchief in Metros.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on July 15, 2019, 12:51:08 PM
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Noel Gardner repeatedly kicking a lamppost outside the Garage because he was too drunk to remember where he'd left his bag.  I last saw him huffing poppers from a handkerchief in Metros. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

SteveDave

SteveDave

good times

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 15, 2019, 11:30:58 AM
the Quietus missing the point too quickly - https://thequietus.com/articles/26795-purple-mountains-david-berman-review

Is it just me or is there like a zinger in 7/8 out of 10 songs, with there being loads in some of those?

Still, it is positive.

I don't really get what this first bit is referring to:

The decade-plus since David Berman's last record has seen shifts in the discussion around privilege in music. It feels like a new pop contender or indie upstart have their upbringing exposed and picked over pretty much weekly; those spotlighted either shrug and count their blessings, or attempt to claw back some tenuous realness via deflection or denial.

Is there some big cultural awakening going on in music that I'm not aware of?

SteveDave

Isn't it about the posh/richness of pop stars these days? Referencing that David's dad is a bad guy lobbyist?

I've just learnt that Billie Eilish a) isn't British as I thought and b) has a family who are all in the "biz".

holyzombiejesus

Just had my first (and second and third) listens. Fuck, it's great! Those opening few seconds! God, I hope they play Manchester or closer.

good times

Quote from: SteveDave on July 19, 2019, 01:49:42 PM
Isn't it about the posh/richness of pop stars these days? Referencing that David's dad is a bad guy lobbyist?

I've just learnt that Billie Eilish a) isn't British as I thought and b) has a family who are all in the "biz".

ah no I get that, I just wondered what he meant by the shift in discussion, which musicians he is referring to? I don't recall any such thing, so just thought I've somehow completely missed it.

tbh I just automatically assume most current successful pop stars are famous due to connections or privilege. It seems nowadays more indie bands seem to come from privileged backgrounds, but again I don't see this being discussed anywhere and I'm not sure which bands he is referring to.

good times

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 15, 2019, 11:30:58 AM

Still, it is positive.

Well yeah, including the opening track which sets the tone for the whole record and features the line:

I nearly lost my genitalia
To an anthill in Des Moines

Even songs like Darkness and Cold seem to be sung with a bit of a knowing wink, despite the central emotion of the song being very raw/bleak.

SteveDave

I cannot stop listening to "That's Just The Way I Feel"

"And when I see her in the park
It barely merits a remark
How we stand the standard distance
Distant strangers stand apart"

holyzombiejesus

I'm the same. Probably played it 20 times yesterday. Almost every single line has a bit that makes me grin. Had my 2 year old running round the living room delightedly singing 'all my happiness is gone' last night too.

Has DB ever talked about books he likes? I've seen a couple of poets mentioned and a couple of references to novels on that AMA (when someone bizarrely recommended he watch Paris Texas) but not seen any other mentions of stuff he likes.

phantom_power

Quote from: good times on July 21, 2019, 11:39:28 AM
ah no I get that, I just wondered what he meant by the shift in discussion, which musicians he is referring to? I don't recall any such thing, so just thought I've somehow completely missed it.

tbh I just automatically assume most current successful pop stars are famous due to connections or privilege. It seems nowadays more indie bands seem to come from privileged backgrounds, but again I don't see this being discussed anywhere and I'm not sure which bands he is referring to.

Is this possibly because that is the only way to survive as a band in the pre-fame days now. In the past bands would just piss about on the dole or on some scheme but it is harder to be on the dole now and those schemes don't exist any more, and you can't just doss around in art school for years either

sardines

I keep thinking this thread is going to be about David Behrman. I'm obsessed with On The Other Ocean at the moment.

To stay on topic, the Purple Mountains album is fucking expensive.

holyzombiejesus

Is it? Just usual price for a record, if not slightly cheaper.

lazyhour

sardines

I paid 30 euro from a miserable fucker who complained about Drag City distribution and the escalating cost

SteveDave

Quote from: sardines on July 25, 2019, 06:40:23 PM
I paid 30 euro from a miserable fucker who complained about Drag City distribution and the escalating cost

THIS IS WHY WE R LEAVING mate!

nugget

I wasn't sure about the songs I heard in isolation but I love the album on the whole, even though a few of the songs make me feel very sad. I also lost a parent recently so the one about his mum had me welling up a bit.

good times

Quote from: nugget on July 27, 2019, 05:05:01 PM
I wasn't sure about the songs I heard in isolation but I love the album on the whole, even though a few of the songs make me feel very sad. I also lost a parent recently so the one about his mum had me welling up a bit.

This August will be ten years since me ma died, so it was quite odd listening to that song. I never think about it much nowadays, but that song is quite a cathartic listen.

Lordofthefiles

Some album this.
I go from wry smile to gazing-into-the-middle-distance despair in a couple of beats.
Bloody great.

peanutbutter

Really enjoying this album but I'm not sure if it's just that there's been a serious lack of the kind of indie/alt-country I like for... years and years and years, so it's a good album bolstered by being the first of its kind in a long ass time.

lazyhour

I can recommend the Kurt Vile/Courtney Barnett Collab album from a couple of years ago. It's called Lotta Sea Lice and you might like it.

peanutbutter

Kurt Vile does nothing for me generally, Courtney Barnett is alright though.

good times

One of the main things I like about this album is how Dave has returned out of the blue from a 10 year hiatus and kicked all those boring half-talents like Kurt Vile and Father John Misty into the fucking sea

sevendaughters

Quote from: good times on August 06, 2019, 10:30:04 PM
One of the main things I like about this album is how Dave has returned out of the blue from a 10 year hiatus and kicked all those boring half-talents like Kurt Vile and Father John Misty into the fucking sea

Misty was already bobbing around in an ocean of his own garrulousness exposing his own limitations, especially the way he used his micro-fame to parlay into writing songs for real stars, and then used the inevitable rejection from that to complain about how hollow it was and fame is. Hate him. I agree with what you say though.