Author Topic: Star Trek - Picard show  (Read 11380 times)

Cloud

• total fucking prick
Re: Star Trek - Picard show
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
Main thing with Data is, with all respect to Brent Spiner, he kinda "could have done with shedding a few pounds" I think.  I.e. that's one chubby face.

And I still don't understand what an elf is doing there.  It's like someone tried to explain Vulcans to a character designer who knows nothing about Star Trek and has only seen Lord of the Rings.

Other than that, colour me excited.  Looks like it's a "Federation has gone to shit and Picard has to re-teach them their values" show, which is hopefully executed better than when Discovery did it.

Ambient Sheep

• I can't even get my Xmas lights to work any more
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »
Looked good to me!

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2019, 08:07:30 AM »
Main thing with Data is, with all respect to Brent Spiner, he kinda "could have done with shedding a few pounds" I think.  I.e. that's one chubby face.

And I still don't understand what an elf is doing there.  It's like someone tried to explain Vulcans to a character designer who knows nothing about Star Trek and has only seen Lord of the Rings.

Other than that, colour me excited.  Looks like it's a "Federation has gone to shit and Picard has to re-teach them their values" show, which is hopefully executed better than when Discovery did it.

Apparently the Elf is a Romulan whose role is to be a 'living weapon'.

That is the way he was described in any case.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
It all looks so generic. Maybe to be expected in a trailer/preview thing. But so far there is nothing that marks this out as an actual, you know, Picard show, rather than 'Modern Sci-Fi Action Show #7251b'

Apparently the Elf is a Romulan whose role is to be a 'living weapon'.

You see, this kind of boring shit that's been done a million times before..

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
It all looks so generic. Maybe to be expected in a trailer/preview thing. But so far there is nothing that marks this out as an actual, you know, Picard show, rather than 'Modern Sci-Fi Action Show #7251b'

You see, this kind of boring shit that's been done a million times before..
This is the main thing. It seems to misunderstand what people liked about Star Trek.

« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »
there was that one handheld interesting shot of picard coming down an elevator that made me think, hmm... maybe overall this trailer is giving the wrong impression that it's going to be terrible when infact, under the hood its actually a well made ting.

prob the same part of my brain that buys the lottery.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
Weirdly, that trailer is not accessible in the US.

They were proudly showing off costumes from this show at the New York Comic Con the other weekend, safely housed in thick glass boxes. All of them were boring brown leather nonentities and I can't remember another thing about them.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2019, 11:26:53 AM »
Picard's Admiral uniform most likely from the prequel episode and maybe a flashback in the series. Stewart is at the Birmingham convention this week so might get some more info.

Sherringford Hovis

• (ᵔᴥᵔ)
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2019, 01:37:10 AM »
A missed opportunity casting the pooch.

These dogs nearly became extinct after both World War I and World War II[1] and remain a rare breed.     

Gone extinct twice and still hard to find one

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2019, 09:02:29 PM »
Just read the first issue of Picard:Countdown. It's short with not a lot in it. Wishing I had waited till all 3 were out. Few bits of info I got from it below.

Shows Picard as an Admiral with his own ship which has an enormous bridge. It's the same class of ship as the Enterprise-F from Star Trek Online. Also hints that whoever has taken command of the Enterprise is someone we know during a conversation with a familiar face. I think it also has a regular character from the upcoming series as well.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
I've read it too and didn't mind it, but can't say it excited that much. It's a shame the art is a bit weak too, in some panels he looks younger than he did in The Next Gen.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2019, 10:08:35 PM »
I've read it too and didn't mind it, but can't say it excited that much. It's a shame the art is a bit weak too, in some panels he looks younger than he did in The Next Gen.

It's poor likenesses that put me off reading more comics. I criticised a Doctor Who one on Twitter years ago and the writer Paul Cornell went fucking mental over it. Not like he drew it but when they don't look right it takes you out of it.

Some of the DC Trek ones in the 90's were awful!

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »
Forty year old Picard is bad enough but the artist has made a total dogs dinner of Worf behind him.

Jim Bob

• (aka Right Said Brett)
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2019, 12:13:12 AM »

It's the writing which is bothering me.  It doesn't scan well.  It would read much better as...

"How the hell are we supposed to protect them if we don't have knowledge of all of the locations which need our help?  How many other colonies are at risk that they're not telling us about?"

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »
"How the hell are ..." really doesn't sound like Picard.

samadriel

• WHA' HAPPEN?
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
Is this show set in the original ST timeline, or the recent movies one?

Old Nehamkin

• Dance, Jimmy!
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2019, 11:00:49 AM »
Is this show set in the original ST timeline, or the recent movies one?

The former. Same as Discovery.

« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2019, 11:17:02 PM »
Aw crap, right after D. C. Fontana too. Losing some good Trek people.

Edit: And Robert Walker Jr.!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/robert-walker-jr-dead-star-21043097

(That episode was on TV today, one of D.C.'s scripts)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:31:43 PM by Blumf »

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
While we at it, Michael J Pollard from the episode 'Miri' died last month at the age of 80.

Considering the show finished over half a century ago this sort of thing is sadly going to be much more commonplace. The remaining stars are all in their eighties.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2019, 12:41:32 AM »

Kryton

• (Not) An actual threat to humanity.
« Reply #172 on: Yesterday at 02:53:57 PM »
Borgs are in it though. Sound.