Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Main thing with Data is, with all respect to Brent Spiner, he kinda "could have done with shedding a few pounds" I think.  I.e. that's one chubby face.

And I still don't understand what an elf is doing there.  It's like someone tried to explain Vulcans to a character designer who knows nothing about Star Trek and has only seen Lord of the Rings.

Other than that, colour me excited.  Looks like it's a "Federation has gone to shit and Picard has to re-teach them their values" show, which is hopefully executed better than when Discovery did it.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Cloud on October 06, 2019, 02:41:51 PM
Main thing with Data is, with all respect to Brent Spiner, he kinda "could have done with shedding a few pounds" I think.  I.e. that's one chubby face.

And I still don't understand what an elf is doing there.  It's like someone tried to explain Vulcans to a character designer who knows nothing about Star Trek and has only seen Lord of the Rings.

Other than that, colour me excited.  Looks like it's a "Federation has gone to shit and Picard has to re-teach them their values" show, which is hopefully executed better than when Discovery did it.

Apparently the Elf is a Romulan whose role is to be a 'living weapon'.

That is the way he was described in any case.

Blumf

It all looks so generic. Maybe to be expected in a trailer/preview thing. But so far there is nothing that marks this out as an actual, you know, Picard show, rather than 'Modern Sci-Fi Action Show #7251b'

Quote from: Camp Tramp on October 07, 2019, 08:07:30 AM
Apparently the Elf is a Romulan whose role is to be a 'living weapon'.

You see, this kind of boring shit that's been done a million times before..

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blumf on October 07, 2019, 10:08:56 AM
It all looks so generic. Maybe to be expected in a trailer/preview thing. But so far there is nothing that marks this out as an actual, you know, Picard show, rather than 'Modern Sci-Fi Action Show #7251b'

You see, this kind of boring shit that's been done a million times before..
This is the main thing. It seems to misunderstand what people liked about Star Trek.

Piggyoioi

there was that one handheld interesting shot of picard coming down an elevator that made me think, hmm... maybe overall this trailer is giving the wrong impression that it's going to be terrible when infact, under the hood its actually a well made ting.

prob the same part of my brain that buys the lottery.

Mister Six

Weirdly, that trailer is not accessible in the US.

They were proudly showing off costumes from this show at the New York Comic Con the other weekend, safely housed in thick glass boxes. All of them were boring brown leather nonentities and I can't remember another thing about them.

Malcy

Picard's Admiral uniform most likely from the prequel episode and maybe a flashback in the series. Stewart is at the Birmingham convention this week so might get some more info.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on October 27, 2019, 12:54:11 AM
A missed opportunity casting the pooch.

QuoteThese dogs nearly became extinct after both World War I and World War II[1] and remain a rare breed.     

Gone extinct twice and still hard to find one

Malcy

Just read the first issue of Picard:Countdown. It's short with not a lot in it. Wishing I had waited till all 3 were out. Few bits of info I got from it below.

Shows Picard as an Admiral with his own ship which has an enormous bridge. It's the same class of ship as the Enterprise-F from Star Trek Online. Also hints that whoever has taken command of the Enterprise is someone we know during a conversation with a familiar face. I think it also has a regular character from the upcoming series as well.

Small Man Big Horse

I've read it too and didn't mind it, but can't say it excited that much. It's a shame the art is a bit weak too, in some panels he looks younger than he did in The Next Gen.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 27, 2019, 09:38:19 PM
I've read it too and didn't mind it, but can't say it excited that much. It's a shame the art is a bit weak too, in some panels he looks younger than he did in The Next Gen.

It's poor likenesses that put me off reading more comics. I criticised a Doctor Who one on Twitter years ago and the writer Paul Cornell went fucking mental over it. Not like he drew it but when they don't look right it takes you out of it.

Some of the DC Trek ones in the 90's were awful!

Alberon

Forty year old Picard is bad enough but the artist has made a total dogs dinner of Worf behind him.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 27, 2019, 09:38:19 PM

It's the writing which is bothering me.  It doesn't scan well.  It would read much better as...

"How the hell are we supposed to protect them if we don't have knowledge of all of the locations which need our help?  How many other colonies are at risk that they're not telling us about?"

MojoJojo

"How the hell are ..." really doesn't sound like Picard.

samadriel

Is this show set in the original ST timeline, or the recent movies one?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: samadriel on November 28, 2019, 10:48:35 AM
Is this show set in the original ST timeline, or the recent movies one?

The former. Same as Discovery.

Blumf

Aw crap, right after D. C. Fontana too. Losing some good Trek people.

Edit: And Robert Walker Jr.!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/robert-walker-jr-dead-star-21043097

(That episode was on TV today, one of D.C.'s scripts)

Alberon

While we at it, Michael J Pollard from the episode 'Miri' died last month at the age of 80.

Considering the show finished over half a century ago this sort of thing is sadly going to be much more commonplace. The remaining stars are all in their eighties.

Kryton

Borgs are in it though. Sound.

Alberon

Second season officially happening. As if there was much doubt.

QuoteNews of the renewal became evident when the California Film Commission announced which shows would be receiving tax credits in the upcoming year on Monday morning. A season 2 of "Star Trek: Picard" was on the list alongside four new shows including  "Nine Perfect Strangers" starring and executive produced by Nicole Kidman, and the "Untitled Showtime Lakers Project" at HBO which hails from executive producer Adam McKay.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-trek-picard-renewed-season-2-at-cbs-all-access-1203439601/

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on December 16, 2019, 04:48:41 PM
Second season officially happening. As if there was much doubt.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-trek-picard-renewed-season-2-at-cbs-all-access-1203439601/

Borg's and or a fallout of the Romulus destruction seemed like a logical choice of story to go with for the first series so I'm intrigued to see what they come with for the second.

With Stewart's age I would think they would want to pretty much wrap up each series incase he can't make it back for the next. Could he rejoin Starfleet? Surely that would mean a fairly diplomatic led next story. Or maybe a sort of Indiana Jones archeological adventure?

Robert Picard said a while back he was in talks for appearing in S2. Seemed a bit early though.

I'd like to see the Federation Think Tank sort that was supposed to be the sequel to Nemesis. It's a good way of having members of the 3 TNG-era crews teaming up but then it's not so much a Picard show then.

Malcy

2nd issue of the prequel comic is out. Pretty rubbish really. The artwork of Picard is really distracting. The two Romulans who live and work on his vineyard in the series are revealed to be Tal Shiar agents. That's pretty much the only thing worth taking from it.

Malcy

New Short trailer released. Not watching anymore on this because I already feel there's lots of bits been shown that would have been a nice surprise if they hadn't been in the trailers.

Not long to go now!

Blumf

Quote from: Malcy on December 21, 2019, 12:57:17 PM
New Short trailer released.

More of the usual generic "must find the mystery of the past and future" gubbins.

Malcy

Amazon are giving away 80 pairs of tickets for the Premiere of this in London on the 15th of January.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=20516102031

Haven't entered because if I won I'd only be able to afford the Megabus there and back and having done a one way with them last month and almost dying during the journey I'd rather walk.

Have to have an Instagram account as well rather shitely but if anyone is near then it would be a good thing to get.

Malcy