Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,483
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:21:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeinmilk

Quote from: Malcy on December 23, 2019, 12:58:16 AM
Amazon are giving away 80 pairs of tickets for the Premiere of this in London on the 15th of January.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=20516102031

Haven't entered because if I won I'd only be able to afford the Megabus there and back and having done a one way with them last month and almost dying during the journey I'd rather walk.

Have to have an Instagram account as well rather shitely but if anyone is near then it would be a good thing to get.

Belated thanks for posting this - just been notified I won! Surprisingly few entrants I thought - has it had much UK-targeted advertising?

Malcy

Quote from: cakeinmilk on January 03, 2020, 02:41:01 PM
Belated thanks for posting this - just been notified I won! Surprisingly few entrants I thought - has it had much UK-targeted advertising?

Brilliant! I can't even remember where I saw it and I haven't seen anything about it since. I wonder will any of the cast be there. Wish I had applied now!

Malcy

Picard Short Trek is out. I enjoyed it.

Ambient Sheep

Looks like Patrick Stewart is going to be plugging this on Graham Norton next week (Fri 17th/Mon 20th).

Malcy

Fair bit of news.

The showrunner for S2 is Terry Matalas. He's worked on Voyager & Enterprise previously. Apparently series 3 is already being worked on as well.

Stewart is hoping to include more TNG crew next year. The recent short and comic might make that a bit tricky for one though.

Will Wheaton will be presenting a weekly after show for Picard.

The section 31 show is still coming as well as 2 more live action series. That puts the total amount of series since the tv return at 7.

DSC
Picard
Lower Decks
Section 31
Nickelodeon animated
2 unknown live series.

Fucking calm down and just concentrate on making something that isn't shite before starting to make more.

idunnosomename

jean luc picard

is very hard

he has to be cuz

he's in charge

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Malcy on January 13, 2020, 07:21:07 PMThe showrunner for S2 is Terry Matalas. He's worked on Voyager & Enterprise previously.

Oh good.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 14, 2020, 03:36:50 AM
Oh good.

Even worse is that he was responsible for the shitty 12 Monkeys tv series and his most recent credit is an episode of the very unpopular and quickly cancelled Nightflyers. God knows why they've gone from the critically acclaimed and Pulitzer Prize winning Michael Chabon (whose novels I'm a huge fan of) to a hack like this.

I watched the latest Short Trek and didn't mind it but the slowed down cover of Heroes by Peter Gabriel fucked me off, I love the song but it's painfully overused and I wish they'd shown a bit more originality when it came to the choice of song.

Malcy

Attila

I'm working down in Rome this weekend, and there are ENORMOUS billboards of Patrick Stewart as Picard looming down from the sides of buildings all over the city, including over the Ara Pacis Museum.

Malcy

Quote from: Attila on January 18, 2020, 09:56:12 PM
I'm working down in Rome this weekend, and there are ENORMOUS billboards of Patrick Stewart as Picard looming down from the sides of buildings all over the city, including over the Ara Pacis Museum.

The promotion for it seems to be huge. Piccadilly Station even got the Picard treatment a few days ago for the London premiere.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on January 18, 2020, 10:00:50 PM
The promotion for it seems to be huge.

I'll say!  The marketing team really should have made use of the 'width=' tag.

Attila

Quote from: Malcy on January 18, 2020, 10:00:50 PM
The promotion for it seems to be huge. Piccadilly Station even got the Picard treatment a few days ago for the London premiere.

[big ol'picture]

Indeed -- sadly it was all back to normal at Piccadilly early Friday morning when I was headed out to Heathrow around 6am -- shame, as I was hoping for a photo.

Every time I turn a corner here, especially in the centre of Rome, there's a giant Picard looking down at and judging me.

Dex Sawash

Malcy

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 19, 2020, 06:47:26 PM
I'll say!  The marketing team really should have made use of the 'width=' tag.

That shit is beyond me. Couldn't be arsed trying to find a smaller version.

Quote from: Attila on January 19, 2020, 08:14:58 PM
Indeed -- sadly it was all back to normal at Piccadilly early Friday morning when I was headed out to Heathrow around 6am -- shame, as I was hoping for a photo.

Every time I turn a corner here, especially in the centre of Rome, there's a giant Picard looking down at and judging me.

Brilliant. I've not really been anywhere the past few weeks so I've seen nothing for it out and about. there's a big billboard round the corner that usually advertises big stuff but I've not even looked at it when I've passed.

Been bingeing TNG episodes the past few days. Decided to watch Borg/Romulan/Picard episodes. Forgot how much of a cracker I,Borg is. So well written and performed. Just watched The Inner Light for the hundredth time as well and sobbed at the last 5 mins. Don't think I've ever done that! The way Picard clutches the Ressikan flute is so subtle and heartbreaking.

It's made me a bit worried for Picard in one aspect though. Music. In TNG and all the previous shows you can have people have a conversation without music in the background of EVERY.FUCKING.SCENE.

Discovery is really bad for it. TV in general is fairly plagued by it these days though. The hum of the engines vaguely in the background is great for those little character moments. Not the full steam ahead orchestra shit that screams at you to feel emotion that is so prominent these days.

Right back to my rewatch. Chain Of Command time.

"There. Are. 4. Lights"!

Attila

I'm in transit today so in a rush this morning, but once I get settled into my [temporary] digs this evening, I'll post one of the photos I have of the giant Zardoz-style Picard head leering down over the Ara Pacis.

It's been making me laugh, and I'm glad it's temporary, but i can't imagine that every once-in-a-lifetime tourist would be happy about some of these Roman sites and having Jean-Luc Picard photobombing all of your photos.

Attila

Picard hoardings near the Mausoleum of Augustus and the Ara Pacis Museum:

The building with the poster and the museum are right next to each other (so it's not a matter of small, and far away). You can see from the size of the people just how big the poster/hoarding it. If it were actually on the Ara Pacis museum, it would reach from the street up to the roof of the building.

The Ara Pacis museum is mostly window, so when you're inside, you've got the captain of the Enterprise -- or Sejanus, depending on your outlook -- glaring down at you

Malcy

Thanks for the pics. They look so out of place in their surroundings!

Don't know wether to download this tomorrow or wait till Friday. If i wait and watch it on Prime I can hook the Firestick up to my wireless headphones and block out all the traffic, dog barking and neighbour sneezes that plague my ears constantly.

Quite pissed off that i have to do that just to enjoy watching something without getting angry these days.

Malcy

colacentral

They're tempting fate committing to three seasons for this. I know Patrick Stewart seemingly stayed the same age for 20 years but just in the last couple he's noticeably declined. Just do one good story sending the character off for fucks sake, we don't need a full TNG reboot.

I know Picard is the big draw but I'd have been more interested in a Worf series myself.

Malcy

Quote from: colacentral on January 22, 2020, 09:58:54 PM
They're tempting fate committing to three seasons for this. I know Patrick Stewart seemingly stayed the same age for 20 years but just in the last couple he's noticeably declined. Just do one good story sending the character off for fucks sake, we don't need a full TNG reboot.

I know Picard is the big draw but I'd have been more interested in a Worf series myself.

I wonder if the Worf series that Michael Dorn was planning has been looked at by CBS. The producers have said that if and probably when Worf appears he will look exactly like he always has and not those awful Discovery looking ones.

colacentral

I forgot that Michael Dorn actually was pitching a Worf series already. He's by far the most interesting character I would say, with plenty of potential story left in him, unlike say Data who has already had every last drop of story wrung out of him.

beanheadmcginty

I'd like a police procedural set on that planet where they all jog around in their skimpies being nice to each other but if anybody upsets the flowerbeds they get sentenced to death.

bgmnts

I now cannot disassociate Captain Picard with Lucius Sejanus.

Although I suppose Sejanus is more the Riker to Tiberius' Picard.

Sin Agog

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2020, 01:41:43 PM
I now cannot disassociate Captain Picard with Lucius Sejanus.

Although I suppose Sejanus is more the Riker to Tiberius' Picard.

Considering that Tinker, Tailor thread's just been bumped, I think of him more as Pikarla.

Bad Ambassador

The AV Club's posted a fairly spoilerous review of the first episode, but they seem to like it quite a bit. It sounds pretty good as well, which is nice.

Sin Agog

I've always been a bit suspect of Patrick Stewart since he said that, near the end of TNG's first season, he discovered humour.  Up until then it had been a foreign concept to him. Who only learns about this laughter malarkey knee-deep in their 40s?  Even the most hardcore of Asperger's peoples do jokes. 

Alberon

Just watched the first episode and...

It is such a step up from Discovery.

Having the main character not being so fucking irritating is a big part of it, but it's good on it's own merits. It feels like Star Trek, while not being a clone of TNG.

The first episode introduces where Picard is now in his life, what happened during the destruction of Romulus and sets up the central mystery of the season. The final
Spoiler alert
pull back and reveal of the Borg Cube under Romulan control has long been spoiled, but it is effective and calls back to a similar long pull back from the film, First Contact. There's a nice bit of fan service with a shot of the Enterprise D and Picard's archive at Starfleet has models of all three of his ships (the Enterprise D and E and the Stargazer).
[close]

This feels like a step up from Discovery. That show has struggled to find its own place and its upcoming season set around the 33rd Century shows the initial setup of ten years before TOS was a mistake. But Star Trek: Picard seems to have learned from that. Can't wait for episode 2.

Cloud

Quote from: Malcy on January 22, 2020, 06:31:11 PM
Looks like Guinan for series 2 is a big possibility!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YsA61VvA8cw

I am very happy with this news!  One of my favourite TNG characters.

Quote from: colacentral on January 22, 2020, 09:58:54 PM

Yeah that worries me as well.  Hopefully he lives to be like 100, but particularly after 2016 every time I see the words "Patrick Stewart, 79..." pop up on my news feed I have a mini heart attack.  I'd be a shame if the series ended up cut short and the character didn't get a proper send off.

Only interested in Worf if it was Klingons as they were in TNG/DS9.  If they ended up Discoveryified they can fuck right off.

Quote from: Alberon on January 23, 2020, 06:13:33 PM
Just watched the first episode and...

It is such a step up from Discovery.

THANK FUCK, this is great to hear.  I mean, I liked Discovery S2 to be fair but I think it's sort of like Doctor Who S12 in that what came before it was so shit that it just seems good from the recoil.  Then you watch Youtube clips of what came before both and realise it's in a different league.

This whole time with the upcoming Picard series I've been thinking "please don't be shit please don't be shit please don't be shit", and Discovery (and the reboot movies) hasn't done wonders for my confidence.  I'm hoping both this and Final Fantasy VII will be 2020's proof that you CAN revive classics from the past without it being shit.

Looking forward to seeing it.  Tonight I'm trying to help bring my parents back up to speed with stuff like the death of Data (i.e. rewatch Nemesis) and failing to explain all the complicated bollocks that spawned the 2009 reboot movies where you have to know about the destruction of Romulus and that it happened in the main timeline...

JamesTC

Thought Discovery was absolute shit that didn't want to be Star Trek. Stopped watching early on and hear it doesn't get any better.

Picard's first episode was ok.