Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Christmas Special

The Picards and Mrs Warboys embark upon a hellish holiday to Portugal. After an entanglement with the police, they finally arrive at their unpleasant villa. Mrs Warboys finds love with her Portuguese penpal Alfonso, donkeys follow Jean Luc around, a paparazzo pursues the group trying to retrieve some lucrative snaps and a boxer tries to find his inner anger...which becomes much easier after Jean Luc accidentally allows a donkey to pizz in his Jaccuzi.

bgmnts

Would Picard be Remain or Leave?

Can definitely see an episode where half of a planet is duped by some opportunistic chancers to vote for seceding from the Federation. Picard is in the area at the time and talks about it a lot

Piggyoioi

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 20, 2019, 03:22:09 PM
Christmas Special

Picard struggles with the moral quandary of whether to disobey General Order 87 and break it to a civilisation that Father Christmas doesn't actually exist.

Dr Rock

Picard falls over and can't get up.

Blumf

Picard making a rousing speech, about why planetary societies should be allowed to develop freely, segues into a rant about how these new 5 Latinum slips are too small and fiddly.

JamesTC

Hope Picard still has the dune buggy.

Dex Sawash

Picsrd retires to France and flings poo bags at troglodyte british expat neighbo(u)r

JamesTC

Picard and Boycie get into trouble with the Klingons and go into hiding as farmers.

mothman

Alberon

And he's playing the piccolo at the end!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Alberon on May 23, 2019, 08:45:43 PM
And he's playing the piccolo at the end!

There was no piccolo as promised!  I am now fuming!  Gonna have to put on a piccolo CD to calm my tits down.

olliebean

After watching that teaser, I'm going to feel let down if it isn't a Star Trek themed remake of The Prisoner.

Alberon

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2019, 09:26:09 PM
There was no piccolo as promised!  I am now fuming!  Gonna have to put on a piccolo CD to calm my tits down.

You don't see him, but it is him playing over the title card that comes up at the end.

Honest.

earl_sleek

"Why did you leave Starfleet, Admiral?"

"#MeToo"

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2019, 09:26:09 PM

St_Eddie

Quote from: Alberon on May 23, 2019, 11:46:09 PM
You don't see him, but it is him playing over the title card that comes up at the end.

Honest.

Oh, yes.  I hear it now.  I still think that they should have actually shown Picard playing his piccolo though.  TV is a visual medium and was practically invented to show people playing piccolos.

Chairman Yang

It's nice that Picard was able to return to the family home and take up the wine making business with the burnt remains of his dead brother and nephew.

mothman

That always struck me as weird. How the hell does anything burn down in the 24th century, let alone with people inside? Emergency services could just beam them out... Ooh. Ooooooohhh! Head canon (I hate this term btw) alert! The Romulans killed them as part of their eventually-abandoned plan to replace Picard with Shinzon.

Chairman Yang

That or the brother refused to leave out of sheer bloody minded spite.

"Beamed out? I'd rather be crushed by a beam"

mothman

https://youtu.be/xe1hKZjCVyM

I dislike these kinds of things in general, and this bunch in particular - why does any Trek roundtable discussion always have one participant with an annoying voice? - but it was interesting all the same, for all they're talking about something that's not going to happen.

mothman

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/07/new-key-art-revealed-for-star-trek-picard/

Oh, no, there's a dog. Plus, Picard looks to be dressed a bit like the War Doctor...

Chairman Yang

Oh fuuuuuuuuuck offfffffffffff

St_Eddie

The showrunner, Alex Kurtzman, was replaced by Michael Chabon mid-production.  The test screening was a disaster and reportedly, they're filming the majority of scenes on green screen, with sets to be added in later, via CGI, in post-production and now to top it all off, Picard has a dog.

Yeah, this is gonna be shite.

Phil_A

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 10, 2019, 09:06:17 PM
The showrunner, Alex Kurtzman, was replaced by Michael Chabon mid-production.  The test screening was a disaster and reportedly, they're filming the majority of scenes on green screen, with sets to be added in later, via CGI, in post-production and now to top it all off, Picard has a dog.

Yeah, this is gonna be shite.

Chabon is your actual proper acclaimed writer, so if anyone could turn this mess around than maybe he can. But it does sound like Kurtzman has really screwed the pooch(sorry).

Chairman Yang

Seeing that poster has uncovered depths of sorrow I thought years of cynicism had worn away to naught. For a brief moment I learned to feel again. All joy is fleeting, despair abides in novel and infinite new combinations.

Lol, that dog is a big mood, tho

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 10, 2019, 09:06:17 PM
The showrunner, Alex Kurtzman, was replaced by Michael Chabon mid-production.

Great news! Michael Chabon is a very good novelist with a long history of writing clever, thoughtful genre fiction. His involvement in this show has been the main thing that's given me hope for it, and that's now gone up a few notches. Reading the press release, I sort of suspect that this was a pre-planned transition, as Kurtzman was always going to have a lot on his plate overseeing the various upcoming spin-offs, and honestly Chabon seemed like too big of a name to be limited to a simple staff writer gig.

QuoteThe test screening was a disaster

Any specifics on this? What "test screening"? A google search just throws up a few links to clickbait-looking youtube vlogs that I can't be bothered sifting through.

Quoteand reportedly, they're filming the majority of scenes on green screen, with sets to be added in later, via CGI, in post-production

Can't find any source at all for this. There are certainly physical sets visible in some of the behind the scenes photos that have been leaked so far. Also I'm not sure how they could already have had a test screening were this the case?

I've been searching my soul about that poster and I'm not sure I really have any strong feeling about the concept of Jean-Luc Picard owning a dog.

phantom_power

I am not sure how anyone can feel any sort of anger or get any sort of insight into the quality of the show from that picture

mothman

The Starfleet badge on the dog's collar is inscribed "No. 1." Yes, really.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 10, 2019, 09:52:37 PM
Great news! Michael Chabon is a very good novelist with a long history of writing clever, thoughtful genre fiction. His involvement in this show has been the main thing that's given me hope for it, and that's now gone up a few notches. Reading the press release, I sort of suspect that this was a pre-planned transition, as Kurtzman was always going to have a lot on his plate overseeing the various upcoming spin-offs, and honestly Chabon seemed like too big of a name to be limited to a simple staff writer gig.

Kurtzman had been rumoured to have been fired from his position as showrunner, months in advance of the announcment of Chabon replacing him.  This isn't a pre-planned thing at all.  Although CBS are doing their darnedest to downplay the negative whispers going throughout the grapevine.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 10, 2019, 09:52:37 PMAny specifics on this? What "test screening"? A google search just throws up a few links to clickbait-looking youtube vlogs that I can't be bothered sifting through.

A test screening as reported to one of said 'clickbait-looking youtube vlogs', provided by a trusted source, who along with the vloger, has been proven to be right about such things time and time again.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 10, 2019, 09:52:37 PMCan't find any source at all for this. There are certainly physical sets visible in some of the behind the scenes photos that have been leaked so far.

The report said that they were shooting an inordinately disproportionate amount of scenes in front of a green screen, not that they weren't any physical sets at all.  Naturally, CBS is going to choose behind the scenes shots from the times when there were physical sets present.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 10, 2019, 09:52:37 PMAlso I'm not sure how they could already have had a test screening were this the case?

Because that's how test screenings work.  To varying degrees, the movie or show test screened is not complete.  There are often cases where actors will be in front of a green screen (or with a temporary background dropped in).  There will be scenes where the audience is shown nothing more than a storyboard or an animatic.  Special effects will be incomplete and there will be a temp soundtrack, taken from others movies and TV shows.  This is standard practice.  The entire point of a test screening is to try and ascertain what, if anything, needs fixing prior to spending a huge heap of money on CGI and other post-production techniques.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2019, 10:10:56 PM
I am not sure how anyone can feel any sort of anger or get any sort of insight into the quality of the show from that picture

It's not that he has a dog, it's that it's the wrong type of dog.  Picard is a total poodle man.  CBS simply do not understand the character.

madhair60

remmber thing here thihng again