Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oy vey

Too short that one. It will be filed under early/in-between episode but lots of good stuff. Feels like Trek to me. Another vote for the titles and music. So far so good.

Blumf

Quote from: Alberon on January 30, 2020, 11:16:02 PM
So the Romulans are more realistic when they speak with an American accent?

Maybe if they went "Boy howdy! WOooooOOWeeeee! How bout dem knicks?"

oy vey

Has anyone watched the aftershow with Will Wheaton? Probably not too interesting yet.

Alberon

Quote from: Malcy on January 30, 2020, 11:28:58 PM
It's not the accent as much as what she said. I doubt that would have been in the script if the actress wasn't Irish. So why do it?

Maybe it wasn't in the script, she just added it when performing.

The two Romulans do seem too human, even if they've been on Earth over ten years. Though they were(are?) Tal Shiar so that could mean they have a far greater knowledge of the Federation than the other romulans.

But then aliens on Star Trek have almost always been very human.

Lemming

Episode 2 was ok, better than the first. Still feels like everything so far is just laying groundwork and could either turn out great or completely go to shit.

Loved the shot of sad old Picard going down a shitty escalator with his pitiful little "VISITOR" badge. Desolation

SPOILER: What's up with the Commodore character? Is she a Romulan spy? Is she a Vulcan? Is she from the Romulans, or is she a Federation traitor? No clue what's going on with her.

beanheadmcginty

I assumed she was a Romulan pretending to be a Vulcan.

petril

Quote from: Lemming on January 31, 2020, 08:03:38 PM
Loved the shot of sad old Picard going down a shitty escalator with his pitiful little "VISITOR" badge. Desolation

utter Beardsley music fodder

Alberon

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 31, 2020, 08:28:36 PM
I assumed she was a Romulan pretending to be a Vulcan.

Could be either. I think the inference was that
Spoiler alert
they're part of the Zhat Vash secret society inside the Tal Shiar secret police which would suggest she's a romulan
[close]

Spoiler alert
Commodore Oh
[close]
was apparently played by Tamlyn Tomita. I couldn't work out where I knew her from. Turns out it was from the pilot film of Babylon 5 (twenty-seven years ago!).

Cloud

Commodore O?
From now on I'll call her Missy. 

Also, all planets have an island (sic)

More later

Chairman Yang

I couldn't manage to watch half of that. Patrick Stewart just bumbling around having things explained to him.

The next episode is going to be this useless old fuck getting his heist gang together while the horny jerks that make up the actual cast do something portentous and fan fiction-y. There'll be one violent fight sequence to trick you into thinking this is a show.

Dewt

I'm just assuming the Strong Woman is going to annex Space Palestine or something and everybody cheers. That's what I'm going to get out of not watching past the first episode - an extremely unfair imagination of what happened next.

Dewt

You know what it is, Star Trek has to be written by people who might secretly be commies. If it's not then it just doesn't feel right.

greenman

You do wonder whether JJ Abrams ability foster long term snarkishness extended to real life, do the staff in every restaurant he visits feel compelled to act in that fashion for the next decade?

Dropshadow

That shady too-human Romulan guy with the hair reminds me of the too-human dwarf in the awful "Hobbit" film that shagged the Maid-Marianesque elf. I don't like any of them!

Pranet

Picard's off duty clothes have improved since TNG. You never quite knew what the fuck he'd be wearing when he wasn't wearing his uniform back then, but I quite liked the green jumper he had in the second episode. Just as well now he is retired. Perhaps his Romulan house keepers pick out things for him.

Chairman Yang

Maybe that's what's wrong about this show for me, not enough navel-cut silk shirts on men.

Dannyhood91

I don't like it when characters swear in Star Trek. I'm sure I heard someone use the shit word in episode 2. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Stewart calls the audience a fat cunt as he stares directly into the camera.

Blumf

Quote from: Dewt on February 01, 2020, 04:33:45 AM
You know what it is, Star Trek has to be written by people who might secretly be commies. If it's not then it just doesn't feel right.

ST:Picard is the equivalent of Bloomberg trying to pet a dog.

(Discovery is Hillary having a good chuckle over Benghazi)

E02 - Just struggling to give a toss about the by-the-numbers story and characters. If this didn't have the Trek branding, would anyone bother?

Mobbd

I'm just about okay with Picard so far. 5/10 - maybe a little more.

It isn't really what I want from ST. I'd rather have an ensemble cast telling different sorts of stories each week as they explore space. But since Star Trek is a relatively consistent universe, why not plug other formats of show, modular-fashion, into that universe? I guess that's okay.

In Picard's favour:

1. at least it isn't another unasked-for, risk-averse, timeline-mauling prequel;
2. at least it isn't completely senseless. Yet;
3. P-Stew can do no wrong - even when he's badly directed or something isn't quite right, it's still P-Stew.

The very fact that it isn't a prequel is a huge relief. When they give us something I don't really want (Federation Bad!/Romulans look like this now!), at least I can accept it as something that's happening "now" rather than constantly thinking "but it wasn't like that."

I wish it would calm down a bit. Nothingy lines delivered with maximum gravity - don't like that. Attempts at innovation/originality (flesh androids, etc) fail horribly on grounds of being pretty stupid and I wish they hadn't bothered. I wish it was just a bit friendlier and less intense in its ambitions: could we not just have Space Poirot? Or Space-Murder She Space-Wrote?

I do wish (as someone else here said) they tried a bit harder on the 'future look.' The clothes and world feel a bit too 21st-century. I know people used to laugh at Troi's space unitards and those triangular space pillows on DS9 or whatever, but at least they tried in those days.

I'll carry on watching for now. I'd rather have this old-man-parping-around sort of boring than breathless-doesn't-make-sense-space-battles sort of boring.

Malcy

There's rumours that Seth MacFarlane is trying to get the rights to Star Trek to take to his 5 year deal at NBC.

The Orville is the only thing that's properly felt like Star Trek to me since Enterprise so at least if its a load of bollocks he's still making that.

Also there's a track listing out for the soundtrack to Picard. Could be a bit spoilerly so best to avoid if you don't want to know too much.

Mobbd

I liked the bit when the Utopia Planitia guy said "alright, m'niggas" to those androids. Made me look forward to their uprising.

Hope they took the time out from efficiently using poisonous gasses to poison their asses to pop that specific guy's head clean off.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on February 04, 2020, 11:52:50 AM
There's rumours that Seth MacFarlane is trying to get the rights to Star Trek to take to his 5 year deal at NBC.

I dare not dream. That would be as good as the Tarantino film and therefore destined for the same bin. ST is worth too much to CBS.

Shaky

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on February 02, 2020, 01:12:58 PM
I don't like it when characters swear in Star Trek. I'm sure I heard someone use the shit word in episode 2. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Stewart calls the audience a fat cunt as he stares directly into the camera.

Even better - the Starfleet Admiral said, "fucking", I believe.

Cloud

'Feckers', I think. Caused quite a stir revealing that Romulus had an Ireland.

Need to rewatch this - I was tired (in more ways than one) and it didn't seem as gripping and accessible as the first episode.

oy vey

They painted themselves into a corner with the Irish Romulan accent IF they wanted to bring O'Brien back.

"Hey Picard, is your Romulan sidekick taking the piss out of me? Ahhh Jayzus now."

petril

Quote from: Cloud on February 04, 2020, 04:41:13 PM
'Feckers', I think. Caused quite a stir revealing that Romulus had an Ireland

She's Ireland's most Romulan Priest

phantom_power

She says "fuckers" doesn't she?

Dusty Substance

Just watched the first episode. Deary me, it wasn't good. They obviously had a lot of information to convey in a short amount of time but it was messy and the tone was completely off. I'll give the second episode a try (which is more than I can say for Discovery) but my expectations are fucking low.

Malcy

Better this week. Interested in what's going on again whereas after last week's I couldn't give a fuck.

I'm beginning to think there is some sort of virus going around turning people Irish. Yet another inexplicable transformation of accent this time with almost leprechaunish behaviour to boot. Totally baffled as to why.

Spoiler alert
First appearance of Hugh which was good if short. Picard's face looked a bit grainy in the flashback but that could just have been the stream on Prime. Was a bit jittery. There must be a lot of people watching as it goes up. Narek and his undercover sister a bit close for siblings.
[close]