Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Yang

Now I'm not saying things are getting formulaic...

Quote from: Chairman Yang on February 01, 2020, 01:44:21 AM
The next episode is going to be this useless old fuck getting his heist gang together while the horny jerks that make up the actual cast do something portentous and fan fiction-y. There'll be one violent fight sequence to trick you into thinking this is a show.

I guess I liked the Captain, he was 'gruff' but in that crap, mid-90s Roddenberry way. I could see him being at Quarks or something. It's just so boring, though. Just make some new Star Trek! A nice little adventure every week. Jesus, I'm so upset at Discovery being the flagship show.

Malcy

Quote from: Chairman Yang on February 07, 2020, 11:35:40 AM
Just make some new Star Trek! A nice little adventure every week. Jesus, I'm so upset at Discovery being the flagship show.

Don't worry, series 3 of The Orville will be out later this year.

I read a bit more of the Seth MacFarlane rumour. If it was to happen;

The Orville would continue with him being killed off.

Discovery, Lower Decks, Section 31, A Pike series & the long rumoured Academy series would all be axed.

Wants Scott Bakula back for a project.

Apparently in talks with Shatner & Frakes for a film.

Michael Dorn has already said yes to his Worf series.

Main series will be Star Trek: Flagship, set in the Enterprise era with MacFarlane as Captain .

Which made me realise how big a load of bullshit the rumour is probably. Shame because I think he would do great with the franchise. Also he apparently approaches CBS to make Star Trek a few years back and was turned down because they were just starting to plan out Discovery.

beanheadmcginty

Wish that woman would stop addressing Picard as "J.L."

Malcy

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 07, 2020, 08:33:17 PM
Wish that woman would stop addressing Picard as "J.L."

I think it's fitting somewhat as she does in the comics and it shows what kind of relationship they had. Picard was always very formal (see the cracking Nemesis deleted scene ending) and think he would have allowed it in his latter years and more ambassadorial role.

Lemming

Episode 3 did nothing. More subplots introduced so the whole thing approaches a Discovery-esque clusterfuck where there's like 50 things going on at once and none of them are interesting.

Two things that really pissed me off though:
Why does unbelievably-cliched-guy have shrapnel in his shoulder?! I know he has to have it there so he can do the "cool" thing where he throws the booze on it, but his ship is docked. On or near Earth. He's not been in combat recently by the looks of it. And he was sat in his ship doing nothing until Picard arrived. The wound was fresh. Did he jam a bit of sharp metal into his shoulder when he saw Picard was outside, just so he could introduce himself in a badass way?

The other thing is that he says Picard needs to hire him, and then the scientist says it'll "cost" to go wherever they're going. There's no fucking money in TNG, come on, how do you forget/overlook that? Unless it's an intentional retcon, in which case fuck off. I guess the only hope is that they're referring to "credits" or "latinum" or one of the other currencies apparently used outside of Federation space.

Also, did anyone pick up why Raffi was fired from Starfleet? Was it just her association with Picard, so when he resigns she automatically loses her job somehow? Did she get fired for arguing against letting the Romulans die (even though it's been established the Federation physically couldn't save them), because Starfleet is evil now? Did she quit as well, and then subsequently and nonsensically blame Picard years later?

Looking around online, an increasing number of people are calling that the big twist could be that all Romulans are in fact synthetic life forms, and they need to destroy synths so that nobody ever finds out the truth. Can you imagine. Please no.

grainger

Quote from: Lemming on February 08, 2020, 02:19:18 AM

The other thing is that he says Picard needs to hire him, and then the scientist says it'll "cost" to go wherever they're going. There's no fucking money in TNG, come on, how do you forget/overlook that? Unless it's an intentional retcon, in which case fuck off. I guess the only hope is that they're referring to "credits" or "latinum" or one of the other currencies apparently used outside of Federation space.

Or Picard's friend living in poverty and moaning about his privileged lifestyle. Like no-one told her (or the writers) it's a post-scarcity society. And if this world had abruptly lost that society within living memory, this would be much more front-and-centre in the world. In Star Trek: Picard, they apparently never had that kind of society.

The world of Picard is just the modern world, with spaceships in it. Most of the SF elements are cliches from other movies/TV. This was my suspicion from episode 1 and eps 2 and 3 have done nothing to convince me otherwise. I mean... vaping? They haven't even made an effort to imagine a different world from our own.

This should be a non-Trek SF show starring Patrick Stewart. It appears to say "Star Trek" on it because ST is a brand, and also so they can have "here's a thing you remember" in it, such as the Borg, with "new" "twists" like the super-secret more-badass-than-the-Talshiar-because-you-always-have-to-have-bigger-faster-better-ninja-Romulans-on-fire-who-may-as-just-say-they-are-the-Talshiar.

Yes, Gene Roddenbury was a colossal dick with often stupid ideas, but christ alive, there's a huge absence of vision at the heart of modern Trek. Picard included. very sadly.

Blumf

Quote from: Lemming on February 08, 2020, 02:19:18 AM

Basically, it's only within the Federation that you have the money free luxury Communism set-up. Other places, outside of the Federation, still use money, and that's where you'd need to go if you wanted to get a ship outside of the Fed's control/notice.

Sin Agog

Quote from: grainger on February 08, 2020, 07:52:24 AM
Or Picard's friend living in poverty and moaning about his privileged lifestyle. Like no-one told her (or the writers) it's a post-scarcity society. And if this world had abruptly lost that society within living memory, this would be much more front-and-centre in the world. In Star Trek: Picard, they apparently never had that kind of society.

The world of Picard is just the modern world, with spaceships in it. Most of the SF elements are cliches from other movies/TV. This was my suspicion from episode 1 and eps 2 and 3 have done nothing to convince me otherwise. I mean... vaping? They haven't even made an effort to imagine a different world from our own.

This should be a non-Trek SF show starring Patrick Stewart. It appears to say "Star Trek" on it because ST is a brand, and also so they can have "here's a thing you remember" in it, such as the Borg, with "new" "twists" like the super-secret more-badass-than-the-Talshiar-because-you-always-have-to-have-bigger-faster-better-ninja-Romulans-on-fire-who-may-as-just-say-they-are-the-Talshiar.

Yes, Gene Roddenbury was a colossal dick with often stupid ideas, but christ alive, there's a huge absence of vision at the heart of modern Trek. Picard included. very sadly.

I can't remember the line now- haven't even finished the third episode, truth be told- but somewhere near the beginning one of the characters definitely uses a meme of some sort.  Some equivalent of 'I am disappoint.'  Whatever it was, there's no fucking way it would have survived several hundred years.

Chairman Yang

Didn't your one say "Protip, JL", before taking a big old vape hit?

I know characters in Star Trek are conveniently up on contemporary pop culture but I didn't expect Internet neckbeards to abide for 300 years.

'You want a ship? GET IN GRAVE you bald cunt'

Sin Agog

Haha yeah protip was the one.

If they're gonna go that route, she should have gone meta and busted out a pic of a facepalming Picard.

oy vey

Past spoiler tags? Okay...

Bad: Yes I agree the vocabulary is jarring. I understand the producers are trying to make a show for "today's" audience but it's a big mistake. If you watch TNG and then Picard it sounds like humans have devolved into degenerate assholes. The vape is another example. Quite dumb!

Meh: The Joss Whedon vibe of the crew/ship. (Disclaimer: I do not like JW at all, except for his short lived Dollhouse). Hopefully there a richness to the characters that will become evident as the show goes on. If they go this way they need an Avon/Blake's 7 character, not these kids. Am I being too harsh? The Alison Pill character is good though.

Vulcan Eyebrow Raising: That twat and his EMH. Not sure what that's about.

Enough: Though I enjoyed the fight scene in this ep more than the others I think we've reached the quota. There have been some great hand-to-hand scenes in Trek before (DS9's Way of the Warrior springs to mind) but give it a break for a while. I suspect they won't.

Good: Hugh. Liking the character, liking the vibe. They got his scarring spot on too. I have a good feeling about Hugh and all that's going on in that cube. I hope they don't fuck it up.

petril

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 08, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
If they're gonna go that route, she should have gone meta and busted out a pic of a facepalming Picard.

about episode 8 or 9 they'll have a gloriously lined up shot of him in the captain's chair, and the music will swell, every other character in the Star Trek universe will stop and look towards him in awe - including an insert for Walter Koenig - and then he'll do the face palm and everything will be perfect and triumpant.

the writers will be high fiving, feeling they've done better than Kyle MacLachlan being the FBI again

Shaky

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhh, such crankiness. Episode 3 was fine!

Cloud

Much better than episode 2!

Getting quite Blake's 7 isn't it?

Parents still demonstrating how accessible modern Trek isn't though with all its bouncing around in time and places.  Missed half of it from the "no no this is 14 years in the past like that bit with the androids attacking Mars, you need to read the titles in the corner to know what's going on" and "this is the same woman as in the 14 years ago bit" discussions.

They could understand and enjoy the Orville, but the problem with that is finding a UK service that actually shows it as the process of getting torrented stuff onto the TV is tiresome.

Alberon

Well, I liked it. The firefight was predictable but I enjoyed the episode even without it. The addict didn't seem that badly off and I got the feeling her living conditions were her own choice. Is this the first time Vasquez rocks has appeared as Vasquez rocks?

I would like to see a more episodic series as well as Picard, but streaming companies don't want them. It makes sense to me. Just as episodic shows were necessary for syndication streaming networks need to have a continuing story to bring viewers back. Maybe if they did a Pike series they could be more like that? I dunno.

The Orville is good after taking a long time to climb up from crapness. But it's too close to 90s Trek. Real Trek needs to evolve. I'd like to see an animated Trek doing new TOS or TNG in the original style, but the new shows need to be their own thing. Except Discovery, which needs cancelling.

Shaky

The big positive of Picard is that it does actually feel like new, evolved Trek. Beyond that, it was never going to please everybody. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to watch an episodic series with 79-year-old Stewart doing different things every week.

Quote from: Shaky on February 09, 2020, 02:57:01 AM
The big positive of Picard is that it does actually feel like new, evolved Trek.

Yeah. Picard is fine. If you combine TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, then you have over 600 episodes of Trek which were made in roughly the same mold. That's more than enough of that, in my book, yet some people seem want another helping of the same exhausted formula. Another 170 more of those, please!

New folder

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 09, 2020, 09:23:50 AM
Yeah. Picard is fine. If you combine TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, then you have over 600 episodes of Trek which were made in roughly the same mold. That's more than enough of that, in my book, yet some people seem want another helping of the same exhausted formula. Another 170 more of those, please!

Yes, things should be fresh and different. Therefore Picard should not exist. TNG should be done. Star Trek should be done.

But if you really believe that all these shows are the same and the Star Trek-verse, or whatever it's called, needs to be different from now on, why use the characters and references from a pre-existing world? If you say you don't want more of the same, why support endless milking of same brand, why even want more Star Trek in the first place and not something new entirely?

Alberon

If it reboots like the Abrams films then it isn't Trek.

It just needs to evolve with the rest of television. TNG evolved from TOS. If they stayed producing Trek as it was a quarter century ago then it wouldn't last long.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on February 08, 2020, 08:16:54 PM
Real Trek needs to evolve.

Disagree.

Except Discovery, which needs cancelling.

Agree.

Haha. Ep 3 was okay again. As in fine. I'd rather have this sort of boring than Discovery boring, know what I'm saying?

Could have done without the sudden and inexplicable leprechauning. Someone behind the scenes has decided there needs to be a "classy, British" feel to this series and then dragged "Irish" into the longstanding "English/French" Picard confusion.

Also, why is the emergency hologram played the same actor? Let's "headcanon" that at this point in history you can download a skin for your EMH. WHY, begorra, would you make it look just like yourself? Fannies.

Mobbd

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 09, 2020, 09:23:50 AM
Another 170 more of those, please!

I know you're taking the piss, but that's actually what I want.

I don't care. I'm an old man now. GIVE ME MY STAR TRAK! PROPER STAR TRAK with puzzles and mysteries and an ensemble cast and lightness of touch and a FACE IN SPACE every so often and characters whose pajamas/off-duty togs make you think "that's weird, but I'll go along with it."

Mobbd

Just as episodic shows were necessary for syndication streaming networks need to have a continuing story to bring viewers back.

Maybe. Page-turners like Fargo and Better Call Saul certainly work. But there was a thing a while ago about how people just use streaming TV to watch Friends on a loop because Friends (personal taste quibbles aside) was actually made to be fun: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/aug/21/the-age-of-comfort-tv-why-people-are-secretly-watching-friends-and-the-office-on-a-loop

That's what tends to happen in our house. True marvels like Fargo and Saul aside, we usually watch the first three episodes of the Hot New Shit, forget all about it, and go back to mainlining Seinfeld and TNG.

Maybe that's the plan. Maybe Picard is an advert for TNG. As fine as Picard is, I can't imagine anyone watching it on a loop 20 years from now or indeed ever.

evilcommiedictator

Just get someone to put PatStew digitally over the top of Captain Adama and rewrite the end of the show so we can have a good Picard series?

Lemming

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 09, 2020, 09:23:50 AMAnother 170 more of those, please!

I'm with Mobbd - this but unironically. I don't see how "episodic series in which literally anything can happen and the protagonists generally try to solve things peacefully" is any more or less of an exhausted format than "serialised series about evil conspiracies and people being confrontational with each other", which describes both Discovery and Picard.

To illustrate the point, look at the first five episodes of TNG season 3:
Evolution: Story about a new lifeform being discovered and a sort of character study of an egotistical scientist.

The Ensigns of Command: A diplomatic crisis with a strange alien race, which must be resolved with a clever solution. Also the story of how some shitty colony developed, and a character study of Data.

The Survivors: Mystery of how two people have apparently inexplicably survived a planetary annihilation.

Who Watches The Watchers: Discussion of religion, Federation ethics, and one of the best Prime Directive dilemmas.

The Bonding: Drama about a child losing his mother, and how you can't deal with grief by retreating into fantasy or some shit like that. Bonus character study of Worf.

Those are all notably different in tone and content, and crucially, the big strength of Star Trek - if you don't care about any individual story here, it's over in 45 minutes. Whereas if you don't care about the Klingons or the Mirrorverse in Discovery series 1, you're basically fucked. Picard has about three major plot threads and if any one of those doesn't interest the viewer, they're going to spend a huge chunk of the entire series being bored.

Malcy

I'd swap all of the current Trek for a handful of planet of the week  style TNG etc episodes. I don't think it's a tired format at all.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on February 10, 2020, 01:05:11 PM
Just get someone to put PatStew digitally over the top of Captain Adama and rewrite the end of the show so we can have a good Picard series?

I prefer his dad Bill to Lee.

Quote from: Lemming on February 10, 2020, 04:15:07 PM
Who Watches The Watchers: Discussion of religion, Federation ethics, and one of the best Prime Directive dilemmas.

That's the one where they use a room of ten bickering people to represent the sundering of an entire planet's society, which apparently happens over a few days, and some of the acting is on par with infants' television. Yeah, that was good. Almost as deep and cerebral as Sesame Street.

Picard is the future! Accept it.

Lemming

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 10, 2020, 05:49:51 PM
That's the one where they use a room of ten bickering people to represent the sundering of an entire planet's society, which apparently happens over a few days... Yeah, that was good. Almost as deep and cerebral as Sesame Street.

GOOD THING IT WAS OVER IN 45 MINUTES THEN INSTEAD OF DRAGGING ON FOR 10+ EPISODES

Quoteand some of the acting is on par with infants' television.

"The Picard is angry with us!!!"

QuotePicard is the future! Accept it.

The future of ennui. The future of shit. The future of wincing as Patrick Stewart tries to scale stairs.

In all seriousness there's nothing wrong with the idea of a Star Trek series in the style of Picard, I just wish it was actually good it didn't come at the total expense of traditional Star Trek series. We've got about four billion series in the works (Picard, Discovery, Section 31, a bunch of shitty cartoons for kids) and none of them are in the style of the shows that so many people enjoyed for like four decades.

Also, Sesame Street IS CEREBRAL. Moreso than watching Picard sadly go down an escalator in his VISITOR badge anyway.