Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Taken too long to get the band together but I suppose that's preferable to Discovery which has never bothered to give any of the characters personalities other than arsehole.

One, possibly overly nerdy, thing that bothers me though is why there are so many refugees. The Romulans home system was wiped out but they had a massive empire: why aren't those who somehow escaped the blowing up of their homeworld just going to one of the other Romulan planets? There would obviously be massive loss of life and devastating cultural/scientific/economic fallout but the vast majority of their empire still exists.

Blumf

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on February 16, 2020, 06:28:47 AM
One, possibly overly nerdy, thing that bothers me though is why there are so many refugees. The Romulans home system was wiped out but they had a massive empire: why aren't those who somehow escaped the blowing up of their homeworld just going to one of the other Romulan planets? There would obviously be massive loss of life and devastating cultural/scientific/economic fallout but the vast majority of their empire still exists.

This is where the show falls down for Trek fans. The Romulan Empire is massive, quiet possibly bigger than the Federation. They would have more than enough resources to look after themselves.

Even if you roll with that. The Federation has many shipyards throughout it's territory. Even within the Sol system, it's not just Mars' Utopia Planitia, there's ones around Earth, the Moon, and Jupiter. Then add in the numerous yards around all the other Federation home worlds.

And even if you also roll with that, there's plenty of other warp capable societies out there unaligned with the Fed who'd be happy to help if the price is right. Lots of private commercial freighters that could be put to work too.

The whole premise if flawed.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Blumf on February 16, 2020, 10:42:18 AM
This is where the show falls down for Trek fans. The Romulan Empire is massive, quiet possibly bigger than the Federation. They would have more than enough resources to look after themselves.

Even if you roll with that. The Federation has many shipyards throughout it's territory. Even within the Sol system, it's not just Mars' Utopia Planitia, there's ones around Earth, the Moon, and Jupiter. Then add in the numerous yards around all the other Federation home worlds.

And even if you also roll with that, there's plenty of other warp capable societies out there unaligned with the Fed who'd be happy to help if the price is right. Lots of private commercial freighters that could be put to work too.

The whole premise if flawed.

The only thing that made sense prior to Episode 4 is that the Empire didn't see the value in, or didn't have the resources to, save everyone. Picard talks about 900 million refugees, but surely the population of the Romulus system should be in the billions? (Unless Romulus is a much smaller or sparsely populated planet than Earth.) So maybe it was a case that the Romulan government, for whatever reason, left those 900 million out of it's own rescue plans? It wouldn't be inconsistent with anything we've seen from the Romulans that their government might deem large numbers of it's own citizens as uneconomic to rescue. But then that goes out the window when the ex Senator describes Picard making a rousing speech in the Romulan Senate, implying that they relied totally on Starfleet.

The scale of the supernova also changes. In Star Trek XI, Spock talks about it threatening the galaxy, even though Generations establishes that the destruction of a star is only a problem for the system it's in, and IRL stars die and go supernova all the time. And this is propped up by non-canon material which has the supernova originate from outside the Romulus system and the shockwave travelled through subspace, making it dangerous to a large part of the quadrant. In this case it's possible (albeit a little unlikely, imo), that the military and Tal Shiar took one look at the possible destruction of their entire Empire and not just their home system, realised that even if they had the capacity to save all their citizens they'd have nowhere to put them, and basically just gave up and legged it with a small number of senators and important citizens.

But in Picard, this explanation falls again, because it's stated to be the Romulus star itself which is gone nova, which again, implies a more local problem. Surely the Romulans would have enough colonies, and seemingly enough time, that they could relocate their citizens out of the homeworld.

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on February 16, 2020, 06:28:47 AM
Taken too long to get the band together but I suppose that's preferable to Discovery which has never bothered to give any of the characters personalities other than arsehole.

In fairness to Disco, by mid season 1 there was enough depth to Stamets, Tyler, Tilly & Saru that I was interested in what happens to them (compared to Ent, where I quickly viewed them all with dispassionate loathing or complete apathy). But then it jumped the shark straight into the mirror universe in the second half of season 1, and ruined all its characters completely in season 2.

oy vey

Quote from: bgmnts on February 18, 2020, 12:04:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDmRy6SP28

Really going for it are RLM.

I agree with more this time - great fight scene, Alison Pill is decent, hologram rights issues should come into this, primitive vocabulary, DS9 was a hybrid of one-offs and arcs, Voyager underrated but inconsistent. Great to see a Garak clip (my favourite supporting character across the series) in In the Pale Moonlight (my favourite episode across...).

keir

When they first announced that they were doing a Picard show, I thought, what I want it to be is, he runs a bistro but he also solves crimes.

oy vey

Quote from: keir on February 18, 2020, 09:31:39 PM
When they first announced that they were doing a Picard show, I thought, what I want it to be is, he runs a bistro but he also solves crimes.

You have to settle for vineyard.

Zero Gravitas

But then I remember how much they hated it.
And how the uniforms gave them back spasms.
And they could never go back to playing rednecks again.
And then I'm too prepared for the weird pause between 'four' and 'lights'
And I can't even read the credits through the tears.
And I'm not sure I even like it anymore.

And they weren't even uniforms anyway.

bgmnts

Currently smashing through TNG and god it's so good.

Blumf

Lemming

Quote from: bgmnts on February 18, 2020, 12:04:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDmRy6SP28

Really going for it are RLM.

Really glad they defended Voyager (or at least Mike did). It's severely underrated IMO. While TNG has most of the best Star Trek episodes ever made, Voyager is much more willing to take creative risks and do unconventional plots that you'd never see in TNG - the EMH getting a weird fanclub, Seven going nuts when she has to operate the ship alone for over a month, the space dinosaurs mentioned in the video who try to censor the truth about their origins, Seven assimilating all of Voyager's computers and going fucking nuts (again), everyone entering an inexplicable racing tournament and Tom and B'Elanna accidentally foiling a terrorist plot because they're too busy having a lover's quarrel, and so on. It's far far better than it's frequently given credit for and has an edge over TNG and DS9 in a lot of ways.

bgmnts

Just hit Booby Trap.

La Forge is a creepy little fuck.

Cloud

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 02:03:08 PM
Just hit Booby Trap.

La Forge is a creepy little fuck.

Don't think I need to even look up the synopsis.  Bet it's that one where he gets an infatuation with a scientist he's never met and simulates her for hot sexytimes isn't it

Oh the cringe when the real one turns up...

bgmnts

It is indeed, thats after he takes a girl on a date and puts the moves on her but she obviously thought it was mates chillig out.

Fucksake Geordi.

Is there Holodeck etiquette? What if someone stumbles in on you shagging Klingons?

Endicott

You haven't got to the Barclay holodeck one yet then?

bgmnts

I'm currently on season 3 episode 6, no appearance of Barclay yet.

Cloud

Ah Geordi.  Role model for many a sexually frustrated geeky type :D

Getting walked in on seems like something they'd do in the Orville, or possibly one of the lolferengi DS9 episodes (everyone knows what the holosuite was for)

Blumf

Quote from: Cloud on February 20, 2020, 02:20:18 PM
Getting walked in on seems like something they'd do in the Orville

They did.

Cloud

Lemming

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 02:09:57 PM
It is indeed, thats after he takes a girl on a date and puts the moves on her but she obviously thought it was mates chillig out.

Fucksake Geordi.

Is there Holodeck etiquette? What if someone stumbles in on you shagging Klingons?

Dunno if you already know of it, but skip Galaxy's Child when you get to it. It's far worse. Booby Trap is bad enough, but at least you can kind of convince yourself that he's not that bad in it - the computer created the hologram for him rather than him going looking for it, and he shut it off right as it started to get into properly creepy territory.

Galaxy's Child has him meet the real Brahms and act like a little shit towards her for the entire duration, try to flirt with her in a very badly written way and get her to have dinner with him, and then when she finds out about the hologram and gets pissed off, he goes on a huge rant about how he's such a Nice Guy and she's being mean and horrible to him. Then the episode takes his side, Brahms apologises to HIM (???) and they yuck it up together over drinks.

In skipping it, though, you'll miss the sideplot in which a large fish thing sucks itself onto the side of the Enterprise and Patrick Stewart has to try to sincerely act Picard's grief at the accidental death of CGI Fish Thing's mother. So maybe check those scenes out.

bgmnts

Def excited for that.

Geordi InceLaForge.

Cloud

Some of these episodes make me wonder what I saw in that show :D

Fun thing with rewatching it is spotting all the internet memes.  The facepalms, the "why the fuck..." meme (actually Picard acting Shakespeare at Troi's mum or something?  I can't recall) etc

bgmnts

Quote from: Cloud on February 20, 2020, 03:06:51 PM
Some of these episodes make me wonder what I saw in that show :D

It has nothing to do with Marina Sirtis in spandex, I can assure you...

Also, why do they pronounce Data the British way rather than the American way?

Cloud

https://www.jammersreviews.com/st-tng/s4/galaxys.php

The comments look like a wild ride

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 03:12:46 PM

Don't think it was :P  Voyager by the time they find the Borg on the other hand...

bgmnts

Quote from: Cloud on February 20, 2020, 03:16:38 PM
https://www.jammersreviews.com/st-tng/s4/galaxys.php

QuoteThe sci-fi plot, which is sort of an afterthought, involves the Enterprise studying a creature (sort of like a whale in space) that suddenly attacks the ship with deadly radiation. In defense, Picard fires phasers (minimum setting, of course). Priceless is Picard's devastated reaction when the phasers accidentally kill the creature. It's so wonderfully Picard: We came out here to study this wonderful creature and we have killed it; thus we have failed our mission. But then it turns out the creature was pregnant, and the baby survived in the womb, is born, and starts following the Enterprise around like its mother. How cute. Until it latches on and attempts to breast-feed all the ship's energy away.

Haha Star Trek is mental !

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 03:12:46 PM

Correction! Marina Sirtis AND Gates McFadden in spandex...

<grabs screen cleaner>

Cloud

Okay bored of reading through the 222 comments on Jammer's Reviews now.  9 years of circular arguments!  It's like a CaB political thread ;)

Mobbd

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 12:10:50 AM
Currently smashing through TNG and god it's so good.

Same. "Starship Mine" is mint.

oy vey

Quote from: Lemming on February 20, 2020, 01:25:55 PM
Really glad they defended Voyager (or at least Mike did). It's severely underrated IMO. While TNG has most of the best Star Trek episodes ever made, Voyager is much more willing to take creative risks and do unconventional plots that you'd never see in TNG - the EMH getting a weird fanclub, Seven going nuts when she has to operate the ship alone for over a month, the space dinosaurs mentioned in the video who try to censor the truth about their origins, Seven assimilating all of Voyager's computers and going fucking nuts (again), everyone entering an inexplicable racing tournament and Tom and B'Elanna accidentally foiling a terrorist plot because they're too busy having a lover's quarrel, and so on. It's far far better than it's frequently given credit for and has an edge over TNG and DS9 in a lot of ways.

Dined out on TNG a couple of years ago, and fuck yeah but I'm enjoying my Voyager re-visit. Making the Netflix subscription work. Great choices above. Also, Body and Soul from Season 7 (Doc finally gets inside Seven), Blink of an Eye, Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy, Latent Image, Pathfinder, Lifeline, all the Hirogen stuff (particularly Prey), Timeless (who said Harry Kim was flat), Living Witness (Doc backup is a bit iffy but lovely stuff), Course Oblivion, Counterpoint, Meld (Brad Dourif plays a serial killer for a change), Someone To Watch Over Me made me cry... fuckin A for Voyager!

Alberon

At the time DS9 and Voyager were being first broadcast it was Voyager that got all the acclaim and press attention. I remember one advert Paramount or CBS ran (I think for the launch of Enterprise) which went "Before Kirk, Before Picard, Before Janeway" and DS9 fans got incensed to the point the advert was reworded to add Sisko.

But since the shows finished its DS9 that has increased in appreciation and Voyager that has diminished. There is some good stuff in Voyager, but by God there is a load of crap and I never could quite get past Janeway's quacking voice.