Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

I got about 5/7ths through Voyager when it was originally broadcast on BBC2 before I finally threw a brick at my TV screen and I haven't watched TV since.

but if you enjoy it, fair play to you

bgmnts

Irish Unification of 2024!

Quite the prediction.

oy vey

Best episode yet. Now we are getting places. Still head scratching on occasion but it looks like Seven has added some depth to the proceedings. Who would have thunk.

Alberon

Not watched it yet, but she was much better in Voyager than you would have thought from her tight, silver jumpsuit outfit.

oy vey

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 07:49:15 PM
Irish Unification of 2024!

Quite the prediction.

Trek has always been good on the predictions. Except they fucked up Fermat's Last Theorem not being solved in the TNG universe. DS9 righted it, probably on purpose.

Malcy

This week's isn't much of an improvement.

The Good

Spoiler alert
Mr Quark of Feringinar!
Seven really stood out as being great.
The slight hint of the Voyager theme. That's it I think
[close]

The Bad

Spoiler alert
The cartoon holograms as they approached freecloud.
Killing off Maddox.
The shifty yank speak dialogue. "Your killing' it" etc.
Several attempts at humour which were fucking awful.
Those drones are still buzzing around wherever they go.
The big reptile guy telling Rios he had smoked meat for breakfast.

And the writers must not have been a fan of poor Icheb. That was a fairly gruesome way to go. Glad Seven got revenge.
[close]

I've read the first two chapters of The Last Best Hope prequel book and it's already 100c more interesting than this drivel even it it suffers from poor dialogue as well.

Spoiler alert
So far it's had Picard being promoted and leaving the Enterprise, a chat with Crusher, Geordie oddly realising that he hasn't met a new character before because at 5" in height he thinks " he would remember meeting a hobbit ". And the mighty Worf being promoted to Captain of the Enterprise.

It seems the writer has ignored a few bits of established Canon so at so I'm interested to see what else is forgotten about. The Federation President says "holy fucking shit" at one point as well. They really need to stop shoehorning in the swearing. It was always more natural in Trek before now.
[close]

bgmnts

Yes lads in another Q episode!

G'wan Q lad!

oy vey

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2020, 08:10:11 PM
Yes lads in another Q episode!

G'wan Q lad!

Q's the nuts. Tapestry is fucking awesome. S6 I think?

Malcy

Quote from: oy vey on February 20, 2020, 08:12:12 PM
Q's the nuts. Tapestry is fucking awesome. S6 I think?

"Is there a Jean Luck Pickard here"?

Lemming

New Picard episode:
Spoiler alert
Better pacing (things actually happened for a change) and slightly better dialogue.

That said, the intro made me howl laughing. The fuck was that? It's so cheap to bring a fairly minor character back after 20 years only to have him get (oddly graphically) tortured for 90 seconds and then die just to give Seven the motivation to go on her stupid dual-wield phaser rifle rampage later on. Speaking of which, I hated everything after Seven beams back down to the planet. Shoots two people in the back and then executes someone. Boring and lazy, and doesn't even offer catharsis because really who the fuck cares about the gangsters enough to want them to get shot. It would have taken a lot more skill for the writers to come up with a more interesting and less violent yet still satisfying solution in the mold of something like... uh, Star Trek, but whatever. Dual wielding.

Despite all that, Jeri Ryan was great as expected and mostly held the script together and made it feel like broadly the same character as in Voyager. Also, the leader of the gangsters is clearly Marina Sirtis from 30 years ago, what the fuck. I wonder if the actor crossed paths with the actual Sirtis on set if their filming schedules overlapped. They could have cast her as flashback-Troi and I would have totally believed it was a CGI-altered Sirtis.

Lol @ Maddox getting killed three seconds after being saved. "IT'S NOT JUST THE TAL-SHIAR... THE *FEDERATION* IS INVOLVED!!!" Oh my god!! The FEDERATION... is COMPROMISED!! FUCK!! FUCK!! FUCK!!

On the plus side, everyone's finally in the same place at last, judging by next week's trailer. No more cutting over to the Borg cube for ten minutes to watch people slide around in socks.
[close]

Alberon

Just watching it and they've just arrived at Freecloud. Some of the in jokes might be too obvious and start to be obnoxious.

Dabo tables, Quark's Bar AND Mr Mot's Hair Emporium in one shot? Too much.

Cloud

I thought this was on Fridays

Whatevs, probably still leave it til tomorrow

Alberon

Plot moved on a fair bit this episode.
Spoiler alert
Maddox returns, though it isn't the original actor
[close]
[nb]
Spoiler alert
Which is fair enough as the original guy did one episode over thirty years ago.
[close]
[/nb]

Patrick Stewart uses the
Spoiler alert
opportunity to go full Inspector Clouseau, but sort of gets away with it as it's supposed to be Picard acting
[close]
after all. I probably could have done with five minutes or so less stand-offs though. Maybe they should pull back a bit on the in-series references. All those neon signs and the drink Trania https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cdXv93cRY It can get a bit much.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on February 20, 2020, 10:27:34 PM
Plot moved on a fair bit this episode.
Spoiler alert
Maddox returns, though it isn't the original actor
[close]
[nb]
Spoiler alert
Which is fair enough as the original guy did one episode over thirty years ago.
[close]
[/nb]

Patrick Stewart uses the
Spoiler alert
opportunity to go full Inspector Clouseau, but sort of gets away with it as it's supposed to be Picard acting
[close]
after all. I probably could have done with five minutes or so less stand-offs though. Maybe they should pull back a bit on the in-series references. All those neon signs and the drink Trania https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cdXv93cRY It can get a but much.

The references to old Trek are my favourite bits so the more the better in my view.

Chairman Yang

Got as far as a guy getting his eye pulled out.

Fuck this show.

beanheadmcginty

Just worked out why timid android expert girl looks so familiar. She's the absolute double of Paul Schulze, aka Father Phil from The Sopranos / Chappelle from 24.

Attila

We've been wending our way through Voyager over the past six months or so, and are finally up to the beginning of Series 4. I've never seen the show past the first few episodes when they originally went out, so it's like having a new Star Trek series.

Best Janeway, of course, was played by Michael J Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU

Mobbd

Ep5 was a tonne more fun than anything we've had so far on this stupid series. Jeri Ryan is a class act.

A bit miffed to learn that
Spoiler alert
Icheb
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Maddox
[close]
weren't played by their original actors. I mean, what's the point? Like anyone was chomping at the bit to find out what happens to those characters? I enjoyed seeing them because I thought it was nice that they pulled some minor Trek alumni out of retirement for one last appearance in the canon - like they did with Jonathan Del Arco. But whatever. Burp.

Mobbd

Blumf

Quote from: Mobbd on February 21, 2020, 09:52:44 AM
Jeri Ryan is a class act.

When you hear about the shit Mulgrew gave her on set, and see how well she works on screen despite that (and the ridiculous costumes). I'd say Ryan is massively underrated, glad to see more of her.

oy vey

Quote from: Blumf on February 21, 2020, 10:57:26 AM
When you hear about the shit Mulgrew gave her on set, and see how well she works on screen despite that (and the ridiculous costumes). I'd say Ryan is massively underrated, glad to see more of her.

That feud was weird, and the costumes were dumb if we're being honest with ourselves. Jeri Ryan's acting chops were superb in Voyager. Watch Infinite Regress and Body & Soul for proof.

The
Spoiler alert
scene between Seven and Picard about not regaining 100% humanity was the best thing in this series yet
[close]
but re-considering the opener I'm starting to worry a little about the tone. It's not for kids, is it? TOS, TNG, Voy and even DS9 were mostly family friendly. Not that I give a fuck except that was always Trek's charm - it transcends demographics and simply plays to intellect, humanity and imagination, so in this case it's a decent enough metric.

Also more
Spoiler alert
money
[close]
references. Hmmm. Still, it's the strongest episode for me but they better get to some kind of TNG level morality tale or it's going to fissle.

bgmnts

Kind of settled into a bit of downward trough after the crap Barclay episode.

Picking back up now though.

oy vey

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2020, 08:40:37 PM
Kind of settled into a bit of downward trough after the crap Barclay episode.

Picking back up now though.

Where are you? Is the crap one The Nth Degree? I kinda liked that one.

bgmnts

Quote from: oy vey on February 21, 2020, 08:42:48 PM
Where are you? Is the crap one The Nth Degree? I kinda liked that one.

It was Hollow Pursuits, his first appearance. After that a few episodes that were a bit mediocre, then the one with Saul Rubenik was quite good because Saul Rubenik is good. Better now.

Anything where Worf takes centre stage I like because Klingons are ace.

oy vey

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2020, 08:46:39 PM
It was Hollow Pursuits, his first appearance. After that a few episodes that were a bit mediocre, then the one with Saul Rubenik was quite good because Saul Rubenik is good. Better now.

Loved all things Klingon. A lot of peeps didn't but fuck them. The Most Toys was great. Karmic ending for a well portrayed cunt. End of season two parter to look forward to. Season 4 really ramps up from Data's Day onwards. I'm drunk and I'm tempted to jump in...

Wonderful Butternut

Yeah, that was possibly the most un-Star Trek episode of Star Trek ever made. And not in a good way. Freecloud screamed "I WISH WE WERE MAKING STAR WARS OR A NEW LIVE ACTION COWBOY BEBOP SERIES!!!"

Spoiler alert
Drug Mom Raffi apologising to her kid was cringe and forced. She's not developed enough as a character for me to care about this. And of course her attempted reconcilement doesn't survive the first test her son throws at it and she ends up back on the ship immediately, knowing it's likely never to come back, thus completely cheapening the effort. And our small rag tag bunch of misfits wouldn't be complete without one of them being a fifth column who has no hesitation about murdering her former lover seemingly cos some people told her bad things were happening.

I did buy Seven insisting on getting revenge on Troi's doppelganger . I actually think that's in keeping with the character. But they couldn't even leave that go without that the authors using her to have another dig at Star Trek's former optomistic outlook with her few words on morality after she beamed back down, and stopped only just short of calling Picard a silly old fool for having any bit of hope.

Picard with the eye-patch was funny. There I said something good.
[close]

I'm just coming to the conclusion that Picard would be better if the Star Trek serial numbers were scrubbed off and it was a standalone IP.

bgmnts

Quote from: oy vey on February 21, 2020, 08:59:55 PM
Loved all things Klingon. A lot of peeps didn't but fuck them. The Most Toys was great. Karmic ending for a well portrayed cunt. End of season two parter to look forward to. Season 4 really ramps up from Data's Day onwards. I'm drunk and I'm tempted to jump in...

Get on it! Its so good.

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2020, 08:46:39 PM

(A bit sad and not so) fun fact: David Rappaport was supposed to play the lead baddie in Hollow Pursuits, but died during the early production of the episode. Saul Rubenik came in at the last minute, as a favour to his friend Brent Spiner, if I remember correctly.

bgmnts

Quote from: Attila on February 21, 2020, 10:52:15 PM
(A bit sad and not so) fun fact: David Rappaport was supposed to play the lead baddie in Hollow Pursuits, but died during the early production of the episode. Saul Rubenik came in at the last minute, as a favour to his friend Brent Spiner, if I remember correctly.

Hollow Pursuits is the episode which introduces Barclay and his holodeck addiction.

The episode with Saul Rubenik is The Most Toys.  That is a sad fact though, he would have been good.

I love Jonathan Frakes when he grins at something stupid.

Cloud

Jesus Christ that was GRIM.  Fuuuucking Hell
I can see the point people are making about it "not being Trek" now.  Like, I was never one for overreacting to DS9 or thinking the Rodenberry Optimism was sacred, but this is Eastenders level shit.

Pirate Picard was fun though.