Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Picard show

Started by mothman, May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Alberon on July 18, 2019, 01:40:10 PM
A photo from an actual episode, presumably the first.

Click for bigness.

The Dogfather.

petril

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on July 19, 2019, 10:29:06 AM
beige sleeveless jacket with brightly coloured triangle decoration.

read that in an A. Partridge In Paris voice. thanks!

Sin Agog

Click for bigness.

I don't like the look of the new Enterprise

bgmnts

Does Picard own a bull mastiff?

Mister Six

Click for bigness.

Weirdly that looks like a photo of a photo.

Old Nehamkin

greenman

Yep its what everyone feared, its "xtreme" bollocks with Picard shoehorned into it.

JamesTC

That de-aged face will haunt all our nightmares.

Chairman Yang

Quote from: JamesTC on July 20, 2019, 09:47:19 PM
That de-aged face will haunt all our nightmares.

Haha, Christ on a bike.

"I don't know if we can pull this visual effect off...",
"Oh well if you're that confident, I insist!"

bgmnts

That's what a show with a hundred year old Picard needs; tons of action!

Natnar

Alberon

I was running around screaming like a little kid at that. It's been a very long time since a trailer did that to me.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it looked pretty superb, and I can't wait to see it now.

Zetetic

Does he have the dog put down? Does the dog come along on the ship?

Old Picard has sex with time-travelling pre-Borg Borg Queen in episode 8 or 9, at a guess.

mothman

I like it. Could still be shit. But to get Data/B4 in there, and Annika Hansen/7 of 9... Still not sure what it's about though...

https://mobile.twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1152699764548542465

mothman

Thinking about it some more, I mean, why the fuck not, you know? People have been wanting some post-Nemesis Star Trek since, well, Nemesis. And it looks like they're luzzing the kitchen sink at it. Romulans! Borg! Androids! TNG and Voyager stars! Maybe there'll be a DS9er too! If it turns out that despite all that - or maybe even because of it, that overload, even partly - it's still rubbish, then at least they tried.

And there's even a delay now which will give all the doom-mongering YouTubers loads of rumours to extrapolate from, hours of CBS-aren't-happies, plenty of opportunities to work themselves into incelly froths of indignation about all the women and ethnics... Everyone's a winner!

Alberon

According to Trekcore three other actors from the Next Generation are returning as well. Firstly, Jonathan Del Arco is back as the Borg Hugh, but more importantly Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis are back as Riker and Troi.

bgmnts

Remember when Star Trek was about running around shooting things and brain splitting action sequences?

biggytitbo

I hope one of the plot lines in this is Picard can't piss properly and he discovers he has an enlarged prostate.

Kelvin

Focussing on the action misses the more concerning fact that nearly every single line of dialogue in that trailer is a genre cliche. "Have you ever been a stranger to yourself?", "Everything inside of me says I'm safe with you", "Be the captain they remember", "She has no idea what she truly is" - all intoned in that same hushed, quivering voice.

I think they covered every base except, "A storm is coming." Fuck off and listen to how real people talk, instead of writing facsimiles of facsimiles of cliches.

earl_sleek

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2019, 12:06:44 AM
Remember when Star Trek was about running around shooting things and brain splitting action sequences?

From quotes like this I thought the trailer would be full of phaser fire and explosions but....no. It's mainly talking with some dramatic music and cinematic impacts. I think the Michael Bay-ification of Picard is somewhat overstated.

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on July 21, 2019, 01:56:43 AM
Focussing on the action misses the more concerning fact that nearly every single line of dialogue in that trailer is a genre cliche. "Have you ever been a stranger to yourself?", "Everything inside of me says I'm safe with you", "Be the captain they remember", "She has no idea what she truly is" - all intoned in that same hushed, quivering voice.

I think they covered every base except, "A storm is coming." Fuck off and listen to how real people talk, instead of writing facsimiles of facsimiles of cliches.

Pretty much, might not have a load of action in the trailer but it still looks like clichéd small screen Abrams.

Even the old justification that the original series was more action/adventure heavy seems questionable to me given that this is featuring the lead character from TNG.

Shaky

Ah, some of you are big meanies. I think this looks great and Stewart seems to be in reliably great form.

Zetetic

Quote from: Kelvin on July 21, 2019, 01:56:43 AM
Focussing on the action misses the more concerning fact that nearly every single line of dialogue in that trailer is a genre cliche.
Episode 10 twist - the whole thing is a erotic sci-fi holosuite programme.

The dog is the avatar of the designer.

Chairman Yang

I reserve the right to my pessimism when they keep going back to the same well over and over again: 'What things do we have the license to that people know?'

This show will be some very well-produced fan fiction made by people who care and helmed by people who don't... exactly what Discovery was.

bgmnts

Quote from: Chairman Yang on July 21, 2019, 10:04:01 AM
I reserve the right to my pessimism when they keep going back to the same well over and over again: 'What things do we have the license to that people know?'

This show will be some very well-produced fan fiction made by people who care and helmed by people who don't... exactly what Discovery was.

Data is in the dog.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: earl_sleek on July 21, 2019, 07:50:37 AM
From quotes like this I thought the trailer would be full of phaser fire and explosions but....no. It's mainly talking with some dramatic music and cinematic impacts. I think the Michael Bay-ification of Picard is somewhat overstated.

Yeah, I'm not sure there was more than 10 seconds of actual action-y stuff in the whole trailer. Bit of indulgent hand-to-hand combat, brief flash of a space battle/stand-off, and a shot of Picard holding a phaser. Pretty standard Star Trek stuff, really. None of it seemed particularly egregious to me and I don't think it looks any more bombastic than, say, The Best of Both Worlds or Redemption or several other of the more high-stakes TNG episodes.

Quote from: Chairman Yang on July 21, 2019, 10:04:01 AM

Michael Chabon's presence as showrunner gives me a little hope that the show will have a bit of substance and intelligence behind it. The involvement of Kurtzman is, as always, a massive qualifier to that hope, but I'm not getting any major alarm bells so far.

greenman

Quote from: Shaky on July 21, 2019, 09:01:56 AM
Ah, some of you are big meanies. I think this looks great and Stewart seems to be in reliably great form.

Stewart himself will likely be good regardless which makes it more disappointing it will be in something that looks very uninteresting to me.

Shaky

There's almost nothing it can do to live up to expectations, to be fair, so the best the audience can do is digest the thing once it arrives. I still get a strong Trek vibe off the trailer but I totally get why some don't quite buy it. The show was always going to have it's action-y moments per the movies and modern TV tastes but I'm not convinced much of the series will actually be like that.

I'm willing to bet the Next Gen crew are basically one-off appearances a la Bones and Scotty in TNG, despite the internet going nuts trying to figure out how Spiner has returned. I think his presence at the comic con thing (where he was noticeably placed away from Stewart and other new cast members) was a bit of misdirection.