Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Rick & Morty Season 4, Bitches!!

Started by Blumf, May 15, 2019, 10:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/rick-and-morty-season-4-premiere-date-1203215745/
QuoteThe hit Adult Swim series is set to return for its fourth season in November 2019, it was announced Wednesday at the WarnerMedia upfront presentation in New York.

Szechuan sauce and pickled Ricks and Wubba lubba dub dub!!!

Yeah, the awful fucking fanboys are putting me off the damned thing. Ho hum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdk61KN1to

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Sweet! But also echo fan boy nonce sense worries.

alan nagsworth

I confess I got pretty bored of this halfway through the previous season. The rabid shithead fan base certainly didn't help, but mostly for me the issue is that compared with other, far superior animated comedies which stray more frequently and effectively into darker, more dramatic waters such as Bojack Horseman and Venture Bros, it just wasn't taking enough of risks with its character development.

At first I thought the writers were playing the long game, which I was content with, but during season 3 it became apparent that they simply enjoy rubbing the deliberately arrested development in the faces of those who want more (or at least pretend to, in compensating for their insecure lack of ideas) whilst dishing out ladles of gallery-playing garbage like the second cable TV episode, and Pickle Rick.

I think Petey Pate has either mentioned on here before or chatted to me elsewhere about how, for a show so smugly aware of its own intelligent content, it's very unwilling to step outside its comfort zone. It should be doing far more, but it's already adored, so they can't be arsed. It's disappointing.

Anyway my question is does the third season actually go anywhere or lead to any major plot points that would garner any excitement in me for what's to come? Or am I pissing in the breeze with this?

NoSleep

They purposely kill off the story arcs right at the commencement of season three and get on with making standalone episodes. Probably the right thing to do before things got too convoluted. That said they do introduce one major curve within the family.

alan nagsworth

Why is that the right thing to do? I'd wager it a bit presumptuous to think it would get too convoluted, and it's galling to see a show make such good progress with arcs like the evil Morty, Rick trying to kill himself and becoming increasingly outwardly miserable, and Beth and Jerry's divorce, and then just drop all that (if that's what I'm assuming you're saying).

marquis_de_sad

Everything is about serialised storylines nowadays. Everything. There were some problems with the last series, but I'm happy for them to keep character development in the background.

phantom_power

I don't think Rick and Morty is about character development. It is more about exploring and subverting science fiction ideas

Sin Agog

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2019, 11:23:56 AM
I don't think Rick and Morty is about character development. It is more about exploring and subverting science fiction ideas

Going back to sci-fi's pulpy short story roots, it's way easier to come up with inneresting ideas in a pithy format than with long, drawn-out shit.  It's a matter of imaginative mofos dipping inside their pool of ideas, pulling something out, and throwing it out there, all in the course of a few pages.  Most of their brains are better suited to that kind of thing than as novelists.  Always enjoyed Rik & Morty on a similar level. Crom knows how it became the alt-incel beacon it is today.  I certainly don't watch it tuned into that frequency.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

To quote another animated mad scientist, "It can be two things."

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 16, 2019, 11:37:29 AM
To quote another animated mad scientist, "It can be two things."

It can be but it doesn't have to be, especially if one gets in the way of the other

I am aware of the toxic fanbase but I think they are quite easy to avoid

alan nagsworth

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on May 16, 2019, 11:19:30 AM
Everything is about serialised storylines nowadays. Everything.

Does it? Because for the record that isn't what I was suggesting at all. I love Adult Swim's old episodic batshit continuity-free roster as much as anyone else, but I don't think that suits R&M specifically.

Daft throwaway episodes are also fine in a show's run but personally I'd like to see at least a small handful of each season's episodes suddenly plunging the character's lives into unexpected territory. The Cronenburg episode where they bury their alternate reality selves is a good example of how the show can run with an absurd sci-fi concept, have loads of fun and suddenly switch the mood up entirely. I admire that episode a lot and wish there was more like it in the following two seasons.

madhair60

I thought season 3 was the best and funniest, maybe because of that lack of baggage

Edit: Also, the characters are such hateful sociopaths that the "feel bad now :( :( sad music :( :( :(" scenes never hit home for me

Petey Pate

The season 3 final basically reset everything back to how season 1 was, with the characters, in true Dan Harmon fashion, acknowledging this in the dialogue.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 16, 2019, 09:23:38 AMI think Petey Pate has either mentioned on here before or chatted to me elsewhere about how, for a show so smugly aware of its own intelligent content, it's very unwilling to step outside its comfort zone. It should be doing far more, but it's already adored, so they can't be arsed. It's disappointing.

I probably did say this. Many of the plots follow the same pattern of Morty having a falling out with Rick which gets in the way of them defeating a villain (or achieving Rick's goal). It's not just the plots either but the style of humour and gags are really repetitive. How many times are Rick's lame fratboyisms supposed to funny? Is the joke the incongruousness of this dialogue being said by an old man? Seasons 2 and 3 also really ramped up the gore and violence, which the show has never been good at doing humorously.

Though R&M hasn't been consistently good since season 1 I suspect this is more because some of the quirkiness that felt fresh at the time has been run into the ground. The strained awkwardly delivered improv for Interdimensional Cable was funny the first time, but unbearably tedious in the second. Plus Justin Roiland doing the same irritating voice for every new wacky incidental character. The meta humour has also never worked for me. When you have characters pointing out how some aspect of the plot makes no sense it draws attention to the bad writing rather than excuses it.

This show annoys and frustrates me more than it should, though it does have so much potential that it fails to live up to.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's inevitably going to descend into a character study of a misanthropic git, what with it being written by Dan Harmon.

BritishHobo

I love and hate this fucking show. When it's funny and throwing out mad ideas it's stunning, but when it's doing its self-indulgent meta 'ha ha hi I'm um I'm professor squigglynipples and I'm in the show but also I talk about the show ha ha' shit, it feels like you're just watching two blokes who can't be arsed to refine what they're writing. And I know you shouldn't let fans affect your enjoyment of a show but I mean fucking come on, everything surrounding the show becomes fucking unbearable whenever those nerds get their sweaty grasping hands on another catchphrase.

NoSleep

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 16, 2019, 09:46:31 AM
Why is that the right thing to do? I'd wager it a bit presumptuous to think it would get too convoluted, and it's galling to see a show make such good progress with arcs like the evil Morty, Rick trying to kill himself and becoming increasingly outwardly miserable, and Beth and Jerry's divorce, and then just drop all that (if that's what I'm assuming you're saying).

It's stuff like Evil Morty that they've dispensed with; there's an infinity of other Mortys we've yet to see; although they pretty much dumped the Citadel of Ricks in season 3, too.

wooders1978

I think it's been consistently excellent for the last 3 seasons, ergo, I'm excited by this
Will it be on Netflix? Adult swim is a dreadful faff

NoSleep

It's an AS show.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2019, 12:43:28 PM
It's stuff like Evil Morty that they've dispensed with; there's an infinity of other Mortys we've yet to see; although they pretty much dumped the Citadel of Ricks in season 3, too.

I've subsequently discovered that Evil Morty does make an appearance in season 3 although I can't recall that this was made explicit; I thought it was just another evil Morty.

wooders1978

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2019, 03:26:45 PM
It's an AS show.

I've subsequently discovered that Evil Morty does make an appearance in season 3 although I can't recall that this was made explicit; I thought it was just another evil Morty.

There is one evil morty who is usually eventually revealed by his "evil morty" theme tune per the new president of the citedal of Ricks

NoSleep

So the music might just mean "some kind of evil Morty" rather than "this is Evil Morty".

wooders1978

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2019, 06:02:41 PM
So the music might just mean "some kind of evil Morty" rather than "this is Evil Morty".

No, the opposite of that.

NoSleep

And the music is the only clue they give?

wooders1978

Why not watch it and decide for yourself or something?

NoSleep

I watched it a little while back and can't recall any clue that it was the same character as Evil Morty; just that it was another evil Morty. Which makes more sense as there are countless Ricks and Mortys.

NoSleep

No wonder I missed it (it flashes by amongst the carnage):

It adds a little more weight to what's said in the post credit sequence.

madhair60

BritishHobo

What's he done? Is it JonTron-related?

Reckon we should just shut the internet down and write it off as a failed experiment? It was a nice idea, and we tried, but in the end it was just all shit.

madhair60

alan nagsworth

madhair60

Roiland's new game Trover Saves the Universe has received a paid commercial video by white supremacist pig fucker Jontron. It is staggeringly disappointing. I can only hope it's a PR miscommunication of some sort because the values of the show Rick & Morty are fervently against that sort of shit.