Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Rick & Morty Season 4, Bitches!!

Started by Blumf, May 15, 2019, 10:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think it's a lot of people posturing and trying to seem cool or interesting by latching onto something more cult and little known as they think Rick and Morty got too popular. And I'd say I like Xavier more than Rick and Morty but there's not much similarity at all.

sambwel

They're not alike at all. Xavier was reviled by adult swim's regular audience during its original run. I suppose that's what makes it the perfect mark of refined taste for the rabid young fanbase of adult swim's most popular mainstream crossover hit.

wooders1978

I'm struggling with the latest series, I think the success of "pickle rick" scared them a bit and they're trying to trim the fat of the casual fan this latest season with its abstract and tricky to follow narratives, I feel they've gone a bit to far the other way though

sambwel

Eh, I'm warming to it pretty quickly myself. The two most recent eps actually made me laugh out loud a few times, and the meta-commentary worked for me. It could very easily grow stale again though, they need to find a groove that doesn't rely so heavily on meta.

Blumf

Something about this recent episode (face hugger one) just didn't click. I don't know, but I think it's because there wasn't enough playing with the idea, once
Spoiler alert
you got Summer's role in it all
[close]
, everything just marched along in a perfunctory way. Even the big action scene near the start just seemed a bit limp, no real memorable visuals for, what should be, a fun sequence.

Goldentony

reminded me of Season 1 this. Really, really slow, not much lore shit and i'm honestly quite glad they'removing away from stuff you can whack on shirts or phone a SWAT team to a retsaurant about

BritishHobo

Catching up with this. I'm really sorry that you're all wrong, but the train episode was total fucking dogshit.

BritishHobo

That said I'm happy with the idea that it's pissed off fans by cockteasing about all the lore shit. BUT THAT'S ALL.

sambwel

I wonder how it's possible to have liked the show at some point in the past but actively hate these new episodes. If you are just sick of the shtick, fair enough, but in that case stop watching it? I stopped listening to The Cure after Wild Mood Swings and I haven't looked back.

Alberon

I thought the most recent episode was retreading old ground a bit, but the train episode was great.

maett

I thought the last episode was the best of the season so far. Though Morty's reset button was a bit too close to the death crystal. But I thought all that work Rick did just to get Morty to say the acid tub was a good idea was hilarious when it was finally revealed.

Alberon

Maybe you can say it's a character thing, but going an extremely convoluted way to prove a point is something Rick has done in the past at least once. So the latest episode didn't feel that fresh to me.

maett

Yeah, we've seen it before. The heist episode and the Vindicators. But I think this time his idea was undoubtedly shit and he knew it but it didn't stop him wanting to prove a point.

selectivememory

I really loved the last two episodes, especially the one with the acid vat. The extended sequence showing his relationship with that woman in the middle of Morty's save point escapades was brilliant, especially knowing all the time exactly how it was going to end.

Wasn't madly keen on the train episode, but didn't hate it.

Small Man Big Horse

I've enjoyed the second half of season 4 a fair bit but the last episode didn't really do it for me, or at least it was a bit of a patchy affair, starting well but the violent second half was a bit bland with the fight between Rick and Phoenix Person dragging on for way too long. I struggled with the ending with Rick supposedly feeling down because he claims to realise he's a bad parent too, it's nothing new and surely he was aware of that beforehand. Either way trying to make me care about the character just isn't going to work, I find him funny because he's such a bastard, but I really don't give a fuck about about him.

sambwel

Yeah I felt like the attempt at pathos was weak and unnecessary, Rick's already had such a moment in much stronger form a couple of years ago with the failed suicide attempt under similarly sappy music. Other than that I enjoyed the ep a lot. I liked that they picked the Beth clone thread back up after seemingly making the point several times this season so far that they're not interested in doing stuff like that. I enjoyed the constant little digs at Star Wars like
Spoiler alert
the aliens impotently threatening to shoot as Rick approaches and just lands his ship directly on top of them
[close]
. And I enjoyed the Rick/PP fight for its extremely stylised anime-like moments. Overall it felt like a return to whatever a normal R&M episode is like, with a little bit of everything and much less reliance on meta and gimmicks.

Obel

I liked it a lot. The post credit scene was cracking.

I enjoyed that a lot too. The Beth/clone stuff worked for me. The conflict was nothing new but I like that they moved forward and came to the realisation that no matter what their life choices were, they needed to
Spoiler alert
stop seeking Rick's approval.
[close]
I think it's the latter that led to his funk as he doesn't want to irrelevant, selfishly or otherwise, and also can't handle being a failure at anything.

I agree that the sad song playing over the last scene fell flat, if only because they nailed it the first time they did it in Series 2 with Rick deciding to end it all in the garage. Anything else feels like small stakes compared to that one.

And yeah, the post-credits was ace. Small caveat - is anyone else noticing Dan Harmon doing more voices than normal this series? I know he usually pops up about once an episode but I counted three characters voiced by him in that last ep as well as the voiceover at the end. He's good at doing them but also doesn't have much vocal range so it breaks the flow for me when he pops up.

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on June 03, 2020, 12:07:44 PM
Small caveat - is anyone else noticing Dan Harmon doing more voices than normal this series? I know he usually pops up about once an episode but I counted three characters voiced by him in that last ep as well as the voiceover at the end. He's good at doing them but also doesn't have much vocal range so it breaks the flow for me when he pops up.

Yes I noticed this in the cold open when two scenes in a row, space Beth is talking to two different characters, both with the same Dan Harmon voice. Probably more it's because it's cheaper just to pop him in the V.O. booth, but that did take me out of it a little.

BritishHobo

I caught up with the last two episodes because a sneak peek of season 5 has been released (https://youtu.be/sPAw95c_AOE) and... I dunno, it loses me. I feel like they're so vocally self-aware about story, and what we expect from story structure, and what their story should be, but when it comes down to it they just do the same kind of things. The family is dysfunctional, Jerry is useless but comes through again, but then they go back to hating him for being useless, they realise Rick is terrible, make another reference to Beth's father issues but then just reset again etc etc

I would get it if they were going for a Bojack Horseman cycle-of-destruction thing, but it doesn't come off like that, it just feels like they're leaning on the same ideas for a bit of emotion at the end of a series.

Consignia

Another anime studio did a short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kdltv_CSHE

So, I guess it's better than soulless Lone Wolf and Cub one. But still feels missing the soul of Rick and Morty.

sambwel

Having gone in with zero expectations, I quite enjoyed that.