Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Threads you can't fucking find anymore.

Started by Kryton, May 16, 2019, 01:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

A few days ago to my utter delight I re-discovered one of Moondust's old threads called something like 'weird videos' (or something) and I was in work thinking I can't shitting wait to get home so I can watch these videos again.

But I can't find it now can I? Maybe I need gegs or something, but I can't see it in picture box, general bullshit etc...

Someone link it? I can't remember the exact name but I got excited 'cos I saw Mook's name in the thread and thought he'd returned (rather than died / been jailed).
Thanks.

Kryton

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 16, 2019, 01:57:31 AM
Is it this stream of dribble? https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46470.0

Yeah that's the one.

Please feel free to keep this thread alive so other people can find threads that you can't fucking find anymore 'cos you might need gegs.

Kryton

WAIT - How the hell did it pop up again in General bullshit if the last poster posted in 2016? I thought someone had necro'd it? I didn't imagine this either.

imitationleather

Yyyyyyyyyyyes. I've been trying to remember what Fred and Sharon's Movies was called for TIME.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on July 19, 2009, 02:48:13 AM
A few days ago to my utter delight I re-discovered one of Moondust's old threads called something like 'weird videos' (or something) and I was in work thinking I can't shitting wait to get home so I can watch these videos again.

But I can't find it now can I? Maybe I need gegs or something, but I can't see it in picture box, general bullshit etc...

Someone link it? I can't remember the exact name but I got excited 'cos I saw Mook's name in the thread and thought he'd returned (rather than died / been jailed).
Thanks.

About 10 years ago I was reading a thread called "Threads you can't fucking find anymore." Just the other day I was trying desperately to find it to no avail. If anyone has a link, please share.

Tikwid

Thread about unpleasant failed celebrity (poss. sports commentator?) having minor meltdown on online digital radio show (think it was literally hosted in a shed) after being baited by a listener. 2016-2017 maybe?

VelourSpirit

Search site:cookdandbombd.co.uk thread title/keyword on google and you can find threads going back years

Phil_A

Quote from: Tikwid on May 16, 2019, 03:40:31 AM
Thread about unpleasant failed celebrity (poss. sports commentator?) having minor meltdown on online digital radio show (think it was literally hosted in a shed) after being baited by a listener. 2016-2017 maybe?

Ah you must be thinking of Jon "Gaunty" Gaunts venture into the exciting new world of podcasting.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55303.0

That whole thread is hilarious desolation. Seventy grand he wasted setting up his own studio, seventy!

madhair60

I made a thread about animals you have (accidentally) destroyed and it was hilarious, but it's vanished without a trace. I think I recreated it later but it was a pale imitation

the

Quote from: Kryton on May 16, 2019, 02:20:06 AMWAIT - How the hell did it pop up again in General bullshit if the last poster posted in 2016? I thought someone had necro'd it? I didn't imagine this either.

If somebody necro-bumped it, the later bit may well have been split off into a new topic.

Or if it was bumped by a spambot or a wanker, the new post may have been deleted.

magval

Quote from: TwinPeaks on May 16, 2019, 04:24:56 AM
Search site:cookdandbombd.co.uk thread title/keyword on google and you can find threads going back years

Aye this should really be pinned to the top of every subforum.

Ambient Sheep

Only a minor example, but earlier this very morning I was looking for an old post of mine from 2016 about a woman I once knew who was thinking of moving to Hampshire because she was fed up with all the kids in her sons' junior school only speaking Turkish, despite being upset with herself because she'd never thought of herself as being racist.

I eventually found it (here), but only by going through my own post history from Brexit vote day onwards... luckily I wrote it the day after the vote.

Tried:

"Ambient Sheep" turkish school site:cookdandbombd.co.uk

"Ambient Sheep" turkish school hampshire site:cookdandbombd.co.uk

and about half-a-dozen other combinations but nope, it's just not findable by Google.

Cuellar

Well I'm glad you found what you wanted, but it's just thrown up THIS:

Quote from: MrSerious on February 11, 2015, 12:23:34 AM
This seems like as good a thread to ask as any...

Is there such a thing as a video of a man having been stranded alone at sea being reunited with his family who all burst into tears realising the guy's completely lost his mind and is laughing in a hysterical/faintly evil way?

Or did I dream it? Either way, it was really disturbing.

Which I now really want to find. No one provided the video in the original thread.

the

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 16, 2019, 11:09:18 AMOnly a minor example, but earlier this very morning I was looking for an old post of mine from 2016 about a woman I once knew who was thinking of moving to Hampshire because she was fed up with all the kids in her sons' junior school only speaking Turkish, despite being upset with herself because she'd never thought of herself as being racist.

I eventually found it (here), but only by going through my own post history from Brexit vote day onwards... luckily I wrote it the day after the vote.

Tried:

"Ambient Sheep" turkish school site:cookdandbombd.co.uk

"Ambient Sheep" turkish school hampshire site:cookdandbombd.co.uk

and about half-a-dozen other combinations but nope, it's just not findable by Google.

I previously mentioned this elsewhere, that Google has a tendency to lose sight of some old threads:

Quote from: the on March 13, 2019, 11:11:05 AMI have noted lately that the Googlebot has become a bit 'arsed mate' with CaB, and refuses to return pages that definitely have the specific phrase you're looking for on it.

Call me worn down by the world, but TBH Google losing interest in you has perhaps started to feel like a good thing.

Quote from: the on March 13, 2019, 01:02:31 PMI meant phrases that I have put in quotes. I've then gone and manually found the thread I was looking for, and lo and behold, it did have the exact phrase in. The Googlebot is definitely overlooking stuff.

Flatulent Fox

The one about the mashed potato.That was a good 'un.

Of course I've since moved on with my life.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: the on May 16, 2019, 01:55:01 PM
I previously mentioned this elsewhere, that Google has a tendency to lose sight of some old threads:

Yup.  I think I've whinged about it before now too.  Like you, exact phrases in quotes not found.

I know there seems to be a whole block of old threads that have been unfindable for ages, those being the really old ones in Picture Box from when it started out in life as the more serious General Discussion (remember that?) before being repurposed as Picture Box; around that time for a while they were marked by ROBOTS.TXT to not be indexed, and although that was later rescinded I'm not sure they ever recovered.

However in the last couple of years this has been happening to more recent threads too, as per our examples.  Given that sometimes one finds that a thread has been indexed literally minutes after you posted on it, that's really kind of puzzling.

Twed

Quote from: Flatulent Fox on May 17, 2019, 12:16:55 AM

Imagining kittens tumbling into that and coming out the other side as a cube

Noodle Lizard

I can't find the one with the story about the wanking house - an (I think) abandoned house which him and his schoolfriends would go to wank in.  I think it was in one of the How Disgusting Are You? threads, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 17, 2019, 04:36:17 PM
However in the last couple of years this has been happening to more recent threads too, as per our examples.  Given that sometimes one finds that a thread has been indexed literally minutes after you posted on it, that's really kind of puzzling.

I suspect I might have sabotaged it with excessive rate-limits when Barry moved the forum to the new server. Apologies if so.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2019, 06:56:50 PM
I can't find the one with the story about the wanking house - an (I think) abandoned house which him and his schoolfriends would go to wank in.  I think it was in one of the How Disgusting Are You? threads, but I can't find it for the life of me.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17346.msg832305.html#msg832305

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2019, 08:00:27 PM
Lovely, thank you!
Glad to help.
It took me a long time of staring into space before remembering "Mr Analytical" as a search term.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Zetetic on May 17, 2019, 06:59:42 PMI suspect I might have sabotaged it with excessive rate-limits when Barry moved the forum to the new server. Apologies if so.

No need to apologise, it's a small price to pay for you helping to save our collective bacon. :-)  At least we might know why, now.

MoonDust

Quote from: Kryton on May 16, 2019, 01:54:53 AM

Thanks.

Great rediscovery!

Talking of MoonDust, whatever happened to him? He doesn't seem to post anymore.

JesusAndYourBush