Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Huawei man!

Started by biggytitbo, May 16, 2019, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

This whole neverending Huawei story is ludicrous isn't it? Surely we could just check when we buy the stuff whether its spying on us or not, is that so hard? Obviously the spying bullshit is just a proxy for the petty US-China trade war rather than a real thing.

Also nobody on the news can decide how its pronounced. WahWay? Hawaway? It will always be 'Howay' as said by a Geordie as far as I'm concerned and I don't care what anyone else says.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I pronounce it very similar to 'mitochondria'

Cuellar

Everything is spying on us all the time, but when the CHINESE do it it's evil.

Put an always on direct link to Jeff Bezos's baldy earlobes in your living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom? Fine.

Tell Mark Zuckerberg literally everything about your life and your friends lives? No problem. Yes please.

Buelligan

It's not just spying though is it?  Not that I'm fine with being spied upon.

I mean there are questions about control too aren't there?  You know like that virus that went into the Iranian nuclear billydoos?  Aren't there concerns about leaving doors open to that sort of thing.

Alberon

Whatever Whowhy is actually up to is largely irrelevant. This is a fight over who controls the infrastructure of the future. The US and its allies around the world or China and its allies.

It is a fight China will probably win in the long run, but in the short term pushing back on China's main electronic brand will slow them down.

kittens

i got a huawei phone and it's wicked. what's the problem exactly

Dex Sawash

I assume nobody has looked into ZTE

phantom_power

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 16, 2019, 01:20:41 PM
I assume nobody has looked into ZTE

I loved the Frankie releases and Propaganda but the rest is just pretentious nonsense, and Paul Morley is a cock

It's all a complete load of bollocks and as biggy said just a front for the trade war going on right now.

Also the ironic thing here is Cisco recently patched a security vulnerability in some of its network switches that can be exploited to spy on people.

Alberon

Quote from: kittens on May 16, 2019, 01:20:04 PM
i got a huawei phone and it's wicked. what's the problem exactly

It's plotting to kill you in your sleep.

phantom_power

And then take a really good photo of your corpse

biggytitbo

It's a shame we have to go to Howay man for vital infrastructure or their US equivalent and have no companies in the UK that can do the work. Can't BT do it or are they too busy overcharging for slow broadband?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2019, 12:43:45 PM
Everything is spying on us all the time, but when the CHINESE do it it's evil.

Put an always on direct link to Jeff Bezos's baldy earlobes in your living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom? Fine.

Tell Mark Zuckerberg literally everything about your life and your friends lives? No problem. Yes please.

It's much easier to avoid using Facebook or Apple than 5G. Also, with Facebook you can decide what you share with the corporation.

dallasman

Don't Huawei cow man? I bet they do, the dirty so-and-sos.

the

Has anyone noticed that Chinese names are risibly foreign and sound stupid

salr

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on May 16, 2019, 01:32:33 PM
Also the ironic thing here is Cisco recently patched a security vulnerability in some of its network switches that can be exploited to spy on people.

The difference so far as I see is it that Cisco are patching this because they messed up.

Huawai, if that is how it's even spelled, could have backdoors in thier firmware and we/russian/chinese dissedents would never find out until it is too late, because it is not a bug/flaw, it is a feature.

sponk

It's possible that xenophobic Brits are against Huawei because they have a silly foreign name and Huawei is an evil authoritarian corporation with no respect for privacy.

kittens

is this about me using my phone to spy on people. cos if they are going to take my phone away i promise i will stop.

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 01:40:35 PM
It's a shame we have to go to Howay man for vital infrastructure or their US equivalent and have no companies in the UK that can do the work. Can't BT do it or are they too busy overcharging for slow broadband?

We had GEC until George Simpson ran it into the ground.

BT just use Huawei bits like everyone else.

Cuellar

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 16, 2019, 01:47:40 PM
It's much easier to avoid using Facebook or Apple than 5G. Also, with Facebook you can decide what you share with the corporation.

Well true, I was thinking more of the concern around Huawei phones etc sending data to the Chinese government.

And you CAN choose what you share, but you only need to give people the tiniest of prods before they spill all their intimacies like a ripe cyst. You need only look at madhair's threads for evidence of this. People quite willing, under no compunction whatsoever, to give this lunatic a minute by minute account of their morning routines! It's complete madness.

Fambo Number Mive

Which ones of madhair's threads?

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 01:40:35 PM

Amstrad probably have a warehouse full of old E-m@ilers they could put to the task. Just get Baron Sugar, the most powerful person in Essex[1], on the blower.

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on May 16, 2019, 12:53:38 PM
I mean there are questions about control too aren't there?  You know like that virus that went into the Iranian nuclear billydoos?  Aren't there concerns about leaving doors open to that sort of thing.

If you're buying networking equipment it is more than likely going to have a backdoor that leads back to a nation state, you basically have to choose between China, America or Isreal.

In my opinion America's threats involving security agreements is less about actual security and more about getting Cisco kit in there, both from a business and tactical standpoint.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2019, 02:27:19 PM
Well true, I was thinking more of the concern around Huawei phones etc sending data to the Chinese government.

And you CAN choose what you share, but you only need to give people the tiniest of prods before they spill all their intimacies like a ripe cyst. You need only look at madhair's threads for evidence of this. People quite willing, under no compunction whatsoever, to give this lunatic a minute by minute account of their morning routines! It's complete madness.

Buzby will be in a much better position to talk about this, but I think one of the reasons Marconi went bump is because they lost quite a few contracts with BT some of which Huawei bagged, so they're already in our telecoms network.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: salr on May 16, 2019, 02:11:10 PM
The difference so far as I see is it that Cisco are patching this because they messed up.

We know from the snowden leaks that Cisco gear can and is compromised by the security services.

BlodwynPig

If people just minded their own business, the world would be a better place. Blodwyn T. Pig, 2019.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
Buzby will be in a much better position to talk about this, but I think one of the reasons Marconi went bump is because they lost quite a few contracts with BT some of which Huawei bagged, so they're already in our telecoms network.

They're in my pocket.