Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Huawei man!

Started by biggytitbo, May 16, 2019, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2019, 03:34:30 PM
They're in my pocket.

Actually, does 95% of what these Chinese spies spy on boil down to the rustling of ballsacks and fanny flaps?

steveh

They have a lovely company song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z31_OgcCAyc

There's a long UK Government report on Huawei security issues. Terrible software engineering practices would seem to be the biggest threat by far. Issues included them not being able to reproduce a particular build from its source, not having third-party components under proper control and some of those components reaching end-of-life (and so not getting any security patches) way before the hardware.

QuoteHuawei's processes continue to fall short of industry good practice and make it difficult to provide long term assurance. The lack of progress in remediating these is disappointing. NCSC and Huawei are  working with the network operators to develop a long-term solution, regarding the lack of lifecycle management around third party components, a new strategic risk to the UK telecommunications networks. Significant work will be required to remediate this issue and provide interim risk management.

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
Buzby will be in a much better position to talk about this, but I think one of the reasons Marconi went bump is because they lost quite a few contracts with BT some of which Huawei bagged, so they're already in our telecoms network.

Speaking of Marconi...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEC-Marconi_scientist_deaths_conspiracy_theory

Buelligan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 16, 2019, 02:20:33 PM
We had GEC until George Simpson ran it into the ground.

Good old British GEC/Marconi, no one could say they were involved in spying.

Not if they'd signed the Official Secrets Act anyway.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 03:21:57 PM
If you're buying networking equipment it is more than likely going to have a backdoor that leads back to a nation state, you basically have to choose between China, America or Isreal.

In my opinion America's threats involving security agreements is less about actual security and more about getting Cisco kit in there, both from a business and tactical standpoint.

That's the irony as anything we bought from the yanks would have backdoors in too, they are not adverse to spying on their supposed allies and they start more wars than China.

The question I have though, is why is it not possible for our boffins to check whether the equipment we are buying has a backdoor or not? Surely if some strange packets are been fired off to Beijing we might have a clue?

Buelligan

That's quite well known, isn't it.  The US have been using our backdoors since forever, the Israelis too (I thing they go hand in glove really), we just need to ask ourselves, our big international sovereign selves, are we ready to spread for the Chinese too?  I think probably yes.

I suppose it's more democratic.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 03:55:16 PM

That's the irony as anything we bought from the yanks would have backdoors in too, they are not adverse to spying on their supposed allies and they start more wars than China.

The question I have though, is why is it not possible for our boffins to check whether the equipment we are buying has a backdoor or not? Surely if some strange packets are been fired off to Beijing we might have a clue?

That's exactly what they're doing, GCHQ has demanded they have they're own vetting department and has also set up a vetting department and Huaewi get nothing if anything dodgy is found.

Also this 5g kit is a bit like a core switch, everything that passes through it should be encrypted. Of course this still means bad actors could cause disruption by turning parts of it off.

steveh

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 03:55:16 PM

In a production environment identifying such traffic at the scale at which their routers and other equipment operates would be really difficult and hugely expensive while in a test environment the equipment could probably realise it was in test and behave (rather like how VW rigged their diesel engine tests).

salr

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 03:28:19 PM
We know from the snowden leaks that Cisco gear can and is compromised by the security services.

Honest question, do you belive cisco are a tool of the US government agencies, in the way huawai is with china? It is ok to say a system can be compromised, but it is different to say back-doors are deliberatly built in.

IDK by the way, but i Trust cisco more than I do huawai, perhaps because of propaganda, not sure.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: salr on May 16, 2019, 04:11:35 PM
Honest question, do you belive cisco are a tool of the US government agencies, in the way huawai is with china? It is ok to say a system can be compromised, but it is different to say back-doors are deliberatly built in.

IDK by the way, but i Trust cisco more than I do huawai, perhaps because of propaganda, not sure.

I don't think the relationship between Cisco and the American security services is the same as the one between Huawei and China, but I think the NSA probably has plants in Cisco building in backdoors.

biggytitbo

Many major US corporations are pretty much interchangeable with the government, that's where the phrase military industrial complex comes from.

salr

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 04:12:56 PM
I don't think the relationship between Cisco and the American security services is the same as the one between Huawei and China, but I think the NSA probably has plants in Cisco building in backdoors.

OK, so lets assume this is true for a bit, both contries are trying to spy on us. I think out interests allign more with the US than with China.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: salr on May 16, 2019, 04:33:05 PM
OK, so lets assume this is true for a bit, both contries are trying to spy on us. I think out interests allign more with the US than with China.

If our interests align they should have no reason to spy on us.

salr

I don't think this is how that stuff works. You are always (not me personally) but you should always be looking to gain an advantage, even over you allies.

kittens

i invite the chinese to observe every private element of my life at their leisure. fill your boots boys. feast on my metadata.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: salr on May 16, 2019, 04:40:56 PM
I don't think this is how that stuff works. You are always (not me personally) but you should always be looking to gain an advantage, even over you allies.

This is just apologism and calls to authority.

In a way it's more concerning that the US and UK security services spy on its citizens, it means they can take out any threat to the establishment or status quo (that the Chinese couldn't care less about). Look how the National Union of Miners members, or people in the Civil Rights Movement were surveilled.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 12:39:59 PM
This whole neverending Huawei story is ludicrous isn't it? Surely we could just check when we buy the stuff whether its spying on us or not, is that so hard?
Well, yes it is. Even when you're looking at every single thing.

http://www.underhanded-c.org/_page_id_2.html

biggytitbo

Do you think this story is legit then and not just a superpower dick swinging contest over trade? The golden rule to follow when the US starts overtly accusing another country of something is to assume they're lying and I don't see any reason to think otherwise here.

Cuellar

But by that same token, I automatically assume every country is trying to spy on every other country using any means it can.

"Spying? Oh no. They wouldn't do that" - Come off it. We'll start illegal wars, illegally occupy territory and collectively punish the inhabitants, we'll ban the internet and any criticism of the state, but we will NOT try and spy on another nation. That would not be playing the game.

biggytitbo

What's the advantage of doing it like this and risking one your big succesfull global companies getting blacklisted?

mothman

It's two syllables. Think Hua like in chihuahua. Saying it as hoo-wah-way is wrong. A very soft hwah, then way.

Twed

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2019, 05:05:47 PM
But by that same token, I automatically assume every country is trying to spy on every other country using any means it can.
Exactly. This was my take on the Russia election meddling thing. Using the word "whataboutism" to shut down that argument is one of the worst things about people being allowed to communicate without my prior authorisation.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on May 16, 2019, 05:13:11 PM
It's two syllables. Think Hua like in chihuahua. Saying it as hoo-wah-way is wrong. A very soft hwah, then way.

This is precisely why a lot of Chinese folk that end up in the UK just go 'fuck it, call me Tony' isn't it?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 03:28:19 PM
We know from the snowden leaks that Cisco gear can and is compromised by the security services.

Yup, this.  My ex colleague was a senior engineer working in a government lab which inspected  huawei Kit and the tldr was it's no better or worse then any other manufacturer.

Also courtesy of Snowden we know that the NSA and GCHQ are tapping backbone internet links at undisclosed interception points, copying entire data flows across the main fiber-optic cables that stitch the internet together.  I find the fact that so called "experts" on the news neglect to mention this when piffling on about how we must not let Chinese bogeymen near 5G baffling.  Either they don't know or they aren't disclosing the full picture.  It's all out there on public record.

salr

Quote from: mothman on May 16, 2019, 05:13:11 PM

Is it Hua-BLERGH like the worst vomiting sensation you have ever had, or hua-blurgm, feeling like you can choke it down if you try really hard.

QuoteThis is just apologism and calls to authority.

In a way it's more concerning that the US and UK security services spy on its citizens, it means they can take out any threat to the establishment or status quo (that the Chinese couldn't care less about). Look how the National Union of Miners members, or people in the Civil Rights Movement were surveilled.
thanks for posting this, will answer in the morning when I will hopefully feel less crappy.

bgmnts

That fighter from Tekken 3 Hwoarang I have the same problem with. The pronuncuation, not spying and shit.

God forbid Hwoarang owns a Huawei!

Blumf

Quote from: salr on May 16, 2019, 04:33:05 PM

Nope, the US spies on European companies and uses intel gained to damage European (inc. UK) interests in favour of US companies.

e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

The US is a pretty lousy ally and often actively hostile to Euro and UK interests.

dallasman

Quote from: the on May 16, 2019, 02:06:02 PM
Has anyone noticed that Chinese names are risibly foreign and sound stupid

Yeah, just read an article about it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: the on May 16, 2019, 02:06:02 PM
Has anyone noticed that Chinese names are risibly foreign and sound stupid

Ahahahaha
Hahaha yeah

Just now

Haha fantastic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I mean the whole Edward Snowden leak thing, as alluded to previously in the thread, sets out how much US technology companies are aligned with the US national security apparatus. The whole system is designed to allow harvesting of metadata, back doors into routers, and mainly used for economic espionage, rather than for catching those evil doers. The true genius is designing surveillance products that are actually desirable and aspirational. We happily buy into living in a digital panopticon.

I've got a One Plus phone and it is the best phone I've ever had. Good value, no bloatware, fast and much better than any Apple or Samsung device I've ever had.

At least the strategic aims of China are not wrapped up in any flag waving freedom spreading bullshit. They are out for total economic world domination and don't give a fuck about anyone else.

I for one welcome our slant eyed overlords etc etc