Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,338
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

This "Use your hands as controllers" feature for the Quest 2 is impressive. And utterly terrifying.

Sonny_Jim

Just a quick bump to say Sony released a bunch of games for free on PSVR.  Stuff like Rez Infinite, Astro Boy, Tetris effect etc.

Worth checking out if you've got a PSVR

AsparagusTrevor

Astro Bot is one of the best VR experiences so definitely grab that if you have a PSVR.

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 29, 2021, 03:50:36 AM
This "Use your hands as controllers" feature for the Quest 2 is impressive. And utterly terrifying.
It is! It isn't quite there yet for proper game usage, playing Vacation Simulator with hand recognition mode is a bit ropey compared to the controllers, but it's great for simple applications. There's some tech demos on Sidequest and some of them are very trippy, like the one where you grow tiny hands out of your fingers, which also grow tiny hands out of their fingers.

popcorn

Anyone watched any movies in VR? Is it cool or shit?

Quote from: popcorn on April 02, 2021, 01:33:25 AM
Anyone watched any movies in VR? Is it cool or shit?

I recently bought a Quest 2, and spend 90% of my time in Big Screen VR, watching old Dr Who and Star Trek with strangers. I've tried to watch movies in there and it's enjoyable (especially the user-created "we talk over movies" rooms), but the headset is too uncomfortable to wear for two hours.

I think ideally a company needs to create a VR headset where only the screen is in the front, and the CPU/graphics hardware are in the back, so everything balances. Currently, 100% of the weight is on your face and nose.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on April 02, 2021, 05:09:45 AM
I recently bought a Quest 2, and spend 90% of my time in Big Screen VR, watching old Dr Who and Star Trek with strangers. I've tried to watch movies in there and it's enjoyable (especially the user-created "we talk over movies" rooms), but the headset is too uncomfortable to wear for two hours.

I watch movies, although I generally use the Virtual Desktop rather than Big Screen VR as I like the environments better. I've found a position (lying on the couch sitting up with my back resting on a cushion) that is comfy enough for a 2 hour film. I'm kind of rediscovering some of my favourites that I never had the chance to see in a real cinema, really nice experience.

Speaking of the Quest 2, some folks have been digging around the code found in the latest update (27) and have found mention of 120hz refresh rate, and also "intrusion detection" (so basically if your pet wanders into your boundary area, you'll be notified) so they should hopefully be coming soon.

nugget

Just tried to install the modded Beat Saber to play custom songs and it doesn't work; after opening the modded Beat Saber I just get a black screen with three dots. It seems the latest version of Beat Saber is not yet supported by BMBF, so if you have a recent version of Beat Saber then don't waste your evening trying to figure out why it doesn't work, like I just have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/m3m5up/psa_bmbf_beat_saber_11345_aka_multiplayer_badge/

gmoney

I still think we should do some sort of CaB screening in Big Screen VR. I don't know of what though.

Blue Jam

Installed Virtual Desktop the other day but can't get Now TV to cast to it for the life of me. I get the audio but no video, just there placeholder pic. Is this an anti-piracy thing or the Now TV app being shonky? Bit pissed off about this as I just bought a Sky Cinema pass and built up a big watchlist and now I can't enjoy any of the films in my virtual private cinema room.

Now TV won't let you use a broswer to watch on a PC and instead you have to install an app, and they use some excuse about having to do this to prevent piracy  (funny, Netflix, the BBC etc all manage just fine without a PC app). I wouldn't mind if only the app wasn't so shonky in every single one of its versions. The one installed on my smart TV crashes, the one on my Android tablet won't open at all, and now I'm getting sound only on the PC app.

Think I may have found a workaround, will report back.

El Unicornio, mang

It's DRM protection. I only ever watch movies/shows I've already downloaded to my laptop so haven't come across the issue. Actually, tested with iPlayer once and that works fine. But yeah, there's no real workaround afaik.

Btw, just a heads up warning about taking the headset outside. I did it on Sunday as there was family round and wanted them to try it out (they were amazed, and they only saw the menu screen environment), looked online afterwards and found out that it's a bad idea to use it in sunny weather as even just a second of sunlight passing through the lenses can damage or if left longer can destroy the screen. Luckily the sun was never beaming directly through the lenses, but could easily have happened. Best keep outdoor VR'ing for night or overcast days.

Blue Jam

Thanks El Unicornio. Did a search just now and I see it is indeed DRM thing, thought I'd found a Firefox workaround but that was for Windows 7 and Now TV have nixed that one too now. It's a bit annoying the way this punishes honest people who are gladly paying for a subscription, and you'd think that the developers of Sky VR would be on the case here. Grrrrr.

I did briefly consider taking the Quest 2 out into the garden until the little airline-style safety demo told me not to. I was more worried about getting a bit of rain in it, never thought about sunlight but that makes complete sense. Thanks, I have been keeping my headest in the nice smart packaging and will keep it away from direct sunlight when charging.

popcorn

When I got my Quest last summer trying it in the garden was one of the first things I did, and it just didn't seem to work, but I can't remember why. It was too bright maybe?

El Unicornio, mang

It seems stupid that they won't let people watch via VR. Surely they'll have to change it at some point in the future with the rise in popularity of the headsets and how people view content.

Yeah, I guess it's like having two magnifying glasses, just didn't occur to me! Feel bad for those who've fallen foul, definitely not covered by warranty.

Quote from: popcorn on April 06, 2021, 12:30:29 PM
When I got my Quest last summer trying it in the garden was one of the first things I did, and it just didn't seem to work, but I can't remember why. It was too bright maybe?

Yep, it's too bright for the guardian to work if it's sunny so it just stays on the black and white kind of vision thing, but there is a workaround. I went indoors and completely disabled the guardian in the settings menu before venturing back out, and it worked fine, although obviously you then need someone else around so you don't fall head first into shrubbery. So I guess it would be fine to use on a sunny day as long as you make sure the lenses are covered anytime you're not wearing the headset.

popcorn

I found it doesn't work that well in the bath either.

Blue Jam

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 06, 2021, 12:36:19 PM
It seems stupid that they won't let people watch via VR. Surely they'll have to change it at some point in the future with the rise in popularity of the headsets and how people view content.

Judging by the Now TV community forum posts people have been asking for VR headset support since at least 2016. I'm not holding my breath here. Again, you'd think they'd get the Sky VR peeps on this. Would be nice to at least have a Now TV app that can be installed on the Quest itself even if it is a bit shonky.

MojoJojo

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 06, 2021, 12:20:06 PM
Btw, just a heads up warning about taking the headset outside. I did it on Sunday as there was family round and wanted them to try it out (they were amazed, and they only saw the menu screen environment), looked online afterwards and found out that it's a bad idea to use it in sunny weather as even just a second of sunlight passing through the lenses can damage or if left longer can destroy the screen.

Opps.i almost posted a warning when you mentioned taking it outdoors before, but didn't bother/assumed you knew/wasn't a problem with quest 2.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 06, 2021, 12:11:43 PM
Now TV won't let you use a broswer to watch on a PC and instead you have to install an app, and they use some excuse about having to do this to prevent piracy  (funny, Netflix, the BBC etc all manage just fine without a PC app).

Fwiw, sky/nowtv are much more aggressive about drm than most companies because of football and ppv. I have a friend who works there, and some of the security they have around protecting the keys sounds crazy.

peanutbutter

that last level of Tetris Effect is really fucking annoying. You've to go through the quite slow first two thirds to retry the hard final third that'll wrap up at most a minute or two cos its so much faster

buntyman

On the Oculus app you can get 25% off any game with the code mobile25

Blue Jam

Cheers. Tried that WELCOME25 code when I bought Virtual Desktop but it didnae work, people seem to have a real problem getting it working in general.

Are there any rhythm games worth getting apart from Beat Saber? I'm still loving it but so many others just seem like pale imitations.

buntyman

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2021, 10:06:05 PM
Cheers. Tried that WELCOME25 code when I bought Virtual Desktop but it didnae work, people seem to have a real problem getting it working in general.

Are there any rhythm games worth getting apart from Beat Saber? I'm still loving it but so many others just seem like pale imitations.

Pistol whip. I think I prefer it to beat saber

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2021, 10:06:05 PMAre there any rhythm games worth getting apart from Beat Saber? I'm still loving it but so many others just seem like pale imitations.
Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 07, 2021, 10:19:24 PM
FitXR?
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2327205800645550/?locale=en_GB

I found FitXR ironically less of a workout than Beat Saber on Expert.

Synth Riders is a decent rhythm game, with much easier custom song support. I also second the Pistol Whip love.

El Unicornio, mang

Hmm, there's also this one, Hatsune Miku, if you want to dance with an anime character. Bit pricey though.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1731587616863812/?locale=en_GB

And Dance Central, similar kind of thing

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1592992710742424/?locale=en_GB

Blue Jam

Quote from: buntyman on April 07, 2021, 09:07:02 PM
On the Oculus app you can get 25% off any game with the code mobile25

Thanks again, just bought Racket NX. Went from "Hmmm, maybe this isn't for me, it's a bit boring and annoying and the controls are a bit of a faff" to "Hang on, just one more round..." in about 20 minutes. Would recommend. Also you can use your own music with it, though I'm quite enjoying the breakbeat/dubstep OST.

peanutbutter

got virtual desktop with that discount code, thanks! it's running surprisingly okay without the computer even using ethernet so I assume my 5GHz router will suffice for most everything.

Will give Alyx a try in a few weeks, should be able to run it on lowish settings at 60fps

Blue Jam

Just got the Rocket League music pack for Beat Saber. Nicely knackering.

Blue Jam

Anyone here played Supernatural? It looks great but I'm not sure I'd pay $19.99 per month for what is essentially Beat Saber with a coach shouting at you, some more familiar songs, some prettier backgrounds and a few more squats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggd3Qmt2So

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/11/21254483/supernatural-oculus-quest-review-vr-fitness-within-interview

I can't see this taking off while the PC gamers have their pick of custom songs. It looks like it's US-only for now, if it comes to the UK I might do the free trial then sack it off.

Upper back muscles aching from yesterday's Beat Saber session right now, and reading this has made me realise I haven't even tried it in 360° mode yet. Going to do a workout now so I will rectify that.

AsparagusTrevor

These subscription apps are doomed to fail. $19.99 per month is just absurd.

As of yet nothing VR-wise has topped a Beat Saber workout for me, I'll be dripping in sweat after half an hour of Expert difficulty, especially on with the Faster Speed modifier. I've yet to try The Thrill of the Fight though, but I bought it recently, just need to be sure I can make enough room so I don't put a fist through the TV.

El Unicornio, mang

$20 seems very pricey, $10 a month maybe since that's about on par with basic gym membership.

Have fun with Thrill of the Fight, I think you'll definitely find it the toughest VR workout yet. Looking forward to Thrill of the Fight 2, currently in development, which is going to have online multiplayer.

Blue Jam

Handy Hint: If you want to make Beat Saber suddenly feel a lot easier in regular mode, try it in 360° mode. Fucking hell. For some of the tracks only available in Expert or Expert+ I had to switch the arrows off, actually hitting anything at all was hard enough. Half the time it felt like I was playing tennis in real life and struggling as the balls kept hitting my face. Incredible stuff though, not even the bricks-and-mortar arcades I frequented in Japan could come close to replicating that experience.

I have also just ordered a nice wipe-clean silicone face cover which should be much more hygienic than the foam. Should also stop the Quest slipping on my face though lots of reviews say these covers also cause the lenses to fog up more because the seal is more airtight. In any case having a sweaty Quest has been making me feel like a right neckbeard, could really do without that *urghh*