Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:17:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I suck at Beat Saber in regular mode, 360 would kill me.

You've also just reminded me that I need to clean my headset foam, having not done so in the 3 months I've had it...

Blue Jam

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 13, 2021, 12:51:42 PM
Looking forward to Thrill of the Fight 2, currently in development, which is going to have online multiplayer.

Hahahaha.

Has anyone here tried Drunken Bar Fight?

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 13, 2021, 01:49:12 PM
Hahahaha.

Has anyone here tried Drunken Bar Fight?

Is it what it sounds like? Because that would be great.

If there is some kind of baseball game I'm gonna fucking buy an oculus.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 13, 2021, 01:51:09 PM
Is it what it sounds like? Because that would be great.

It's quite lo-fi but I think it's more about the comedy value:

https://youtu.be/oXbIkhhOXW8

QuoteIf there is some kind of baseball game I'm gonna fucking buy an oculus.

https://youtu.be/_D17GLy27ZQ
(EDIT: Looks like this one's for the Oculus Rift only)

https://youtu.be/ZTRI84TYXRU

https://youtu.be/fgJ0uPSYjPk

DO IT DO IT DO IT

El Unicornio, mang

I'm surprised there's not a proper MLB The Show level type baseball game for VR, it's actually one of the only sports I can think of that would work in VR, since it's a game using only hands and only one person/play at a time as opposed to darting between teammates like basketball. Could even have a full size bat add-on and the full baserunning/running to field balls experience if you have a shitload of space. I guess it'll happen eventually.

Aside from the ones BJ mentioned, there is this which is the closest to real baseball looks wise but is only Home Run Derby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvI5jJnkn8&ab_channel=LuisKnightPSVR

Blue Jam

Yeah, I think Sports Scramble is more like the Quest's answer to Wii Sports.

Unicornio, I also ordered a silicone cover because I figured that at £9 it would be cheaper than having to periodically replace the foam, which I'm worried might disintigrate. I was also a bit concerned about the facepad essentially being a big sponge holding moisture next to the Quest's precious electronics, and having to leave it out to dry before putting it back in the box wasn't ideal.

Anyone tried the elite strap for the headset? I've seen reviews saying the original strap is useless and an upgrade is essential but I've found it to be perfectly fine. What's all the fuss about?

El Unicornio, mang

I hadn't thought about the foam disintegrating, I guess it will probably happen at some point so the silicone cover sounds like a pretty good idea.

The Elite Strap is 50 quid which is kind of putting me off buying one, but I've heard that once you've used it you won't want to go back (although it has a hard plastic bit at the end which makes the regular strap more appealing if you're lying down). The regular strap is fine, but I do find that I adjust it quite often, and can be bit of a palaver when someone else with a different size head has a go. I think the main advantages of the Elite Strap are ease of adjusting (you just turn the dial thing) and a general feeling of the headset being more weightless and steady and not liable to wobble about/fall off if you're really getting into something that requires lots of body movement (oo-er).

peanutbutter

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 13, 2021, 01:27:56 PM
lots of reviews say these covers also cause the lenses to fog up more because the seal is more airtight
If it's anything like the one I had the issue isnt that it's airtight. They've a flap at the bottom to block the light that usually comes in at your nose, but it winds up becoming a funnel for exhaled air.

RE: the Elite Strap, I got some vouchers at Christmas so I bought one. It definitely removes a bit of a barrier to getting started and you can play with it for longer too so I'm pretty happy with it. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the knock-off straps are just as good though (e.g. the halo strap).
Personally I think the original strap is fine and it makes the whole thing drastically more portable than the quest 1.

AsparagusTrevor

I got one of the knock off Elite-style straps, it's pretty good, a huge improvement on the stock strap. It does just feel more secure, plus I found it gives the screen better clarity because the stock strap didn't prevent the headset wiggling out of the sweet spot, if that makes sense.

I did get a proper Vrcover facial interface, bought during one of the short windows they were in stock, which I find to be massively overrated. The plastic bit doesn't stay attached to the Quest securely and the nose guard isn't usable because the screen instantly fogs up. On the plus side the face padding is better, doesn't soak up any nastiness.

peanutbutter

120Hz support and native wireless Link support coming in the next release, along with some weird stuff to see your keyboard within the VR environment

Are there any quality standalone headsets on the horizon that aren't made by Facebook? Presumably will be more expensive because they won't be subsidized by data mining, but any type of competitor would be nice.

Blue Jam

Silicone cover arrived today and I just did a little test. Lenses fogged up a tiny bit more than usual but not enough to annoy me, and not having the Quest slip and the lenses move out of the sweet spot more than made up for it.

The main difference I noticed was more sweat running down my face. I guess the original Quest 2 foam padding is essentially a sweatband, and I also guess it's preferable to channel my precious bodily fluids downwards and out and away from the precious electronics.

The feel of the silicone may take some getting used to for some but personally I prefer it to the feel of sweaty foam making me feel like a neckbeard.

Blue Jam

This is the silicone cover I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08PD4NYSX

Not sure what's going on with the pricing, I paid nine quid. Anyway, this is a VRcover one, and it just stretches over the foam, no plastic bits or straps or owt. Very pleased with it so far.

The bag says "VIRTUAL REALITY HYGIENE SOLUTIONS", which is surely one for Private Eye.

popcorn

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 15, 2021, 04:18:19 AM
Are there any quality standalone headsets on the horizon that aren't made by Facebook?

Nope, not that have been announced.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 15, 2021, 04:18:19 AM
Are there any quality standalone headsets on the horizon that aren't made by Facebook? Presumably will be more expensive because they won't be subsidized by data mining, but any type of competitor would be nice.
There's a Chinese one coming out, and so long as Facebook aren't able to enter China there'll remain some level of development over there. Not far enough along to challenge Facebook though.
Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2021, 07:30:48 PM
Silicone cover arrived today and I just did a little test. Lenses fogged up a tiny bit more than usual but not enough to annoy me, and not having the Quest slip and the lenses move out of the sweet spot more than made up for it.

The main difference I noticed was more sweat running down my face. I guess the original Quest 2 foam padding is essentially a sweatband, and I also guess it's preferable to channel my precious bodily fluids downwards and out and away from the precious electronics.

The feel of the silicone may take some getting used to for some but personally I prefer it to the feel of sweaty foam making me feel like a neckbeard.
If sweat is an issue the Halo strap might resolve that as there's a built in headband? Think it's like half the price of the Elite strap

buntyman

Looks like resident evil 4 is coming out for the oculus quest 2 but not my poxy Oculus quest 1. Bit annoying, i would expect that to be rather good

mobias

Looks like the Quest 2 is soon going to be able to stream from your PC without using virtual desktop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVGYtomwNs

Eye tracking is clearly going to be the next big thing in consumer level headsets. The new version of the Reverb G2 coming out next month has eye tracking. Isn't cheap though.

peanutbutter

I'd say the one concern about that massive new update is how much it's focused on the Quest 2. With it selling so well it's virtually a guarantee the original Quest is  gonna get cast aside unless Facebook explicitly push to retain it as a priority and it looks like they're getting distracted by iterative updates asap.

Now, right now for me as a Quest 2 owner that's grand, but it does lend itself towards a Quest 3 coming out quite quickly and an even faster casting aside of the previous machine as they'll have gotten fuck all blowback on ditching the Quest 1. Which would burn a lot of people who got Quest 2 as a fairly casual purchase and scare people from getting the Quest 3.
I guess on one level it'd be good if facebook done something like that to stagnate things for a bit though because at the moment there's a real risk of them monopolising the market.

mobias

Quote from: peanutbutter on April 18, 2021, 05:35:57 PM

Now, right now for me as a Quest 2 owner that's grand, but it does lend itself towards a Quest 3 coming out quite quickly and an even faster casting aside of the previous machine as they'll have gotten fuck all blowback on ditching the Quest 1.

Sadly I think thats just a fact of life when you've got a very, very fast moving area of tech. The Quest 2 does seem like it'll have a decent shelf life though simply because its already got a lot of good games. Technically its a good headset too if plugged into a PC. Developers will keep making games for the Q2 for a while anyway simply because it'll have the biggest install base. It'll be where the money is for a while yet I'm sure. 

peanutbutter

The cynic in me cant help but think when the quest 3 comes out that:
1. I'll buy it instantly
2. I'll gift my Quest 2 to someone who had no intention of getting a headset (expanding the user base)

Dirt cheap Quest 1 + Beat Saber would be a killer Christmas gift this year, I suspect. With how quickly Quest 2 has taken over it wouldn't surprise me if you'll be able to get a Quest 1 for about 100 later in the year.

mobias

I've kept the box and all the packaging for my Q2 because I plan on selling it later this year. Keeping my eye on that new HTC Vive headset.

Blue Jam

I've kept the box and all the packaging for my Q2 because it's gorgeous.

El Unicornio, mang

Apparently the Quest 3 isn't happening (according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4DYQA3DnE&ab_channel=SteveKnows ), also some new games are popping up that utilize the new 120hz capabilities. Eleven Table Tennis is apparently really good.

Resident Evil 4 looks good but I got terrified playing the 2 remake with a TV 12 feet away from me, I think if I play it on VR I'll soil myself.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 18, 2021, 06:57:29 PM
Apparently the Quest 3 isn't happening (according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4DYQA3DnE&ab_channel=SteveKnows ), also some new games are popping up that utilize the new 120hz capabilities. Eleven Table Tennis is apparently really good.

Resident Evil 4 looks good but I got terrified playing the 2 remake with a TV 12 feet away from me, I think if I play it on VR I'll soil myself.

I played the Resident Evil 7 demo on PSVR and at various points was too scared to look around the next corner. Eventually you have to go down a flight of stairs into darkness and it literally took me about 10 minutes to pluck up the courage to do it.

popcorn

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on April 19, 2021, 03:13:38 PM
Eventually you have to go down a flight of stairs into darkness and it literally took me about 10 minutes to pluck up the courage to do it.

That's the scariest bit in the whole game let alone in VR.

peanutbutter

Just noticed there's a flash sale on the quest store until the morning, have bought the Room VR and The Thrill of the Fight

Blue Jam

Yeah I saw that but nothing I want is reduced! I wanted a shooter though and Robo Recall: Unplugged looks like my kind of thing so thanks for the reminder.

Blue Jam

Robo Recall gives me the jitters. Fucking brilliant.

kittens

Hello Friends my quest 2 arrives today and i can't wait to ruin cyberspace for everyone. i'm getting superhot, beat saber and i think 'walkabout adventure golf'. my computer is shite so i can only get ones that don't need that. what are the other ESSENTIAL VR EXPERIENCES?

popcorn

Seriously. Have we discussed VR smut yet? It's a bit of a confusing wild west but it's also quite the experience.