Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nugget

My Quest has basically become a Beat Saber machine over the past couple of months, but I've been really enjoying Warplanes: WW1 Fighters from the App Lab in the last few days. It definitely feels like a retail-quality game, and even has actual German voice acting if you play on the side of the Germans. Voll krass.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 19, 2021, 02:59:13 AM
Has anyone else here played on a Virtual Reality ("VR") system? I reckon it could be big.

(It is the best thing I've spent money on for a year - my thanks to Bitcoin for my chekky oculus quest)

This doesn't have great reviews but is free and MLB-related so probably worth installing

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2873640696088444/?locale=en_GB

flying over the various baseball stadiums using Google Earth/street view is a treat too

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 19, 2021, 01:31:41 PM
This doesn't have great reviews but is free and MLB-related so probably worth installing

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2873640696088444/?locale=en_GB

flying over the various baseball stadiums using Google Earth/street view is a treat too

Oh cool! Thanks for that.

I had a crack at a free sports/baseball emulator thing last night! It was all cutesy and shit, plus the AI was ridiculous and using the controllers messes with your pitch release point so you can't really throw breaking balls and your fastballs are all over the place (I have a pretty decent slider I throw when playing catch, but not in this) - doesn't matter though, I was literally bouncing curveballs in the dirt 2 feet off the plate only to see them get slugged 400' to straight away centre field. My fielders committed two errors on routine pop-flies in one inning, the plate is about 2 feet away so I was standing right up against my wall, you can't hit sac flies (AI can't account for them), the strike zone is calibrated for someone about 8 feet tall, if you leave your bat on your shoulder while laying off a high ball it counts as a foul tip and you are out, and when you time up a middle-middle fastball and hit it to your pull side, you get a single, maybe, if the AI shortstop doesn't leap 15 feet and throw you out. Also now that you recorded a hit, your bat is replaced with a fish lmao! So like... fuck you basically, but also this is the free demo so also buy our game? it wasn't that good though so I'll probably keep looking.

Ferris

Good shout on google earth as well, I didn't know that was out there. So much stuff to play with!

Ferris

hello i am on cab vr

the typing is harder but the macaque photos are bigger

a mixed bag

popcorn

Ferris

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 19, 2021, 03:04:53 PM
Oh cool! Thanks for that.

I had a crack at a free sports/baseball emulator thing last night! It was all cutesy and shit, plus the AI was ridiculous and using the controllers messes with your pitch release point so you can't really throw breaking balls and your fastballs are all over the place (I have a pretty decent slider I throw when playing catch, but not in this) - doesn't matter though, I was literally bouncing curveballs in the dirt 2 feet off the plate only to see them get slugged 400' to straight away centre field. My fielders committed two errors on routine pop-flies in one inning, the plate is about 2 feet away so I was standing right up against my wall, you can't hit sac flies (AI can't account for them), the strike zone is calibrated for someone about 8 feet tall, if you leave your bat on your shoulder while laying off a high ball it counts as a foul tip and you are out, and when you time up a middle-middle fastball and hit it to your pull side, you get a single, maybe, if the AI shortstop doesn't leap 15 feet and throw you out. Also now that you recorded a hit, your bat is replaced with a fish lmao! So like... fuck you basically, but also this is the free demo so also buy our game? it wasn't that good though so I'll probably keep looking.

Might give it a look, really hoping for a proper MLB The Show level one at some point though, would be amazing.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 19, 2021, 07:39:52 PM
Might give it a look, really hoping for a proper MLB The Show level one at some point though, would be amazing.

I'd pay whatever they wanted for it and still consider it a bargain. There's the home run derby thing so the mechanics are there, just the market is too small for developers to bother I suppose.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 18, 2021, 08:44:59 PM
Any Quest 2 users been getting an itchy phizzog?

https://support.oculus.com/1504463656600795

Just submitted a request for a replacement face thingy

UPDATE: Just received a unique link and ordered a free replacement facial interface. This one has a different design with a wipe-clean cover, looks like they've discontinued the absorbent foam one altogether.

Blue Jam

My replacement facial interface set arrived today:

RRP £29:

* Replacement plastic bit with light-blocking silicone bit around the nose

* Not one but TWO wipe-clean pads which velcro to the plastic bit

* Instructions

* Nice bit o'Tupperware for yer sarnies

Nice to get some spares even if you haven't had an adverse reaction (and best to get some anyway in case a friend with sensitive skin ever wants to borrow your Quest 2).

Also VR Cover must be coining it in over this.

AsparagusTrevor

How well does that facial interface fit? My bought VRCover is very loose, it falls off at the slightest touch. I might as well give this one a try, seeing as my Quest 2 is eligible for a replacement.

Blue Jam

Not tried it, been using a silicone VR Cover over the original foam interface and it fits over the foam perfectly.

Totally worth getting a free package of tasty VR treats though. The foam will wear out eventually, I wouldn't say no to a pair of free replacements.

Ferris

I've been wasting lots of time on Gun Club VR. Just target shooting, but with a gameified arcade sort of vibe.

The more you play, the more varied it gets - I just unlocked zombie mode which is lots of fun, and it's great for drop in/drop out gaming which is the only kind I have time for these days.

Ferris

Also bought that SUPERHOT game because I liked the demo so much. Throwing ashtrays at strange mannequin things in variable time? Yes please.

peanutbutter

I only realised a few days ago I actually have the space to play superhot now without destroying half my possessions. It and Pistol Whip will probably be my next purchases.

Have gone back to playing the original beat saber tracks, the custom ones have started to annoy me cos so many of them  are just endurance tests rather than trying to be actively fun. Whereas the original tracks are made to suit the game.
How are the song packs? Do they just feel like the custom tracks or are they quite well put together? Is there a clear standout one?

Blue Jam

Anyone else completely unable to get Beat Saber to launch now? According to Twitter it's a known issue but nrrrrrrggghhh. Bought that new Interscope music pack and can't check it out!

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 29, 2021, 11:18:02 PM
Have gone back to playing the original beat saber tracks, the custom ones have started to annoy me cos so many of them  are just endurance tests rather than trying to be actively fun. Whereas the original tracks are made to suit the game.

Yes, I love the Camellia ones because they're bastard hard and actually make you feel a bit graceful, plus there are sections that make you feel like a drummer. Spin Eternally is the best one: "SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN" whirling around trying to avoid all the bombs? Endless fun.

I can recommend the Rocket League pack. Play by Tokyo Machine is a lot of fun:

https://youtu.be/C41LdCm5mAw

peanutbutter

I had that issue a while back, I think I just had to do a fresh install? There might have been a setting in bmbf to reset stuff too that I had to run but I can't recall for sure.

Sidequest suggestion for anyone with a reasonably large space: Tea for God, would strongly recommend not reading much about it cos it's just got one trick really but it's a really neat one.

DenzilHolles

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 29, 2021, 11:06:55 PM
Also bought that SUPERHOT game because I liked the demo so much. Throwing ashtrays at strange mannequin things in variable time? Yes please.

Superhot is a fantastic game - there's some really fun modes to unlock once you've finished so it does have decent replay value. And it's a good workout too.

Pistol Whip is also really good fun . It's somewhere between Superhot and Beat Saber though it's definitely its own game too.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 29, 2021, 11:18:36 PM
Anyone else completely unable to get Beat Saber to launch now? According to Twitter it's a known issue but nrrrrrrggghhh.

As I type this right now, my wife is going bananas on beat saber. I suspect she's managed to launch it ok but it might be a regional thing?

Quote from: DenzilHolles on May 30, 2021, 12:27:47 AM
Superhot is a fantastic game - there's some really fun modes to unlock once you've finished so it does have decent replay value. And it's a good workout too.

Pistol Whip is also really good fun . It's somewhere between Superhot and Beat Saber though it's definitely its own game too.

Excited to get into SUPERHOT but this silly arcade shooting game is taking up all my time.

Re: obvious shit - I don't need to keep the oculus in the basement with the other consoles because it doesn't need the telly. This only occurred to me a day or two ago. I can (close the curtains and) go bonkers in the front room. Loadsa space!

Ferris

I love (and hate) SUPERHOT.

Everything I want out of a VR game, and it is smart enough to drop the odd totally unexpected moment on you. An FPS that feels like a platformer, it is enjoyable and FUCKING ANNOYING (in a good way) in equal measure.

Great game, well worth picking up.

nugget

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 29, 2021, 11:18:02 PM
I only realised a few days ago I actually have the space to play superhot now without destroying half my possessions. It and Pistol Whip will probably be my next purchases.

How are the song packs? Do they just feel like the custom tracks or are they quite well put together? Is there a clear standout one?

I'm finding that as well with Beat Saber. I mostly dislike the music, but at least the original tracks are fun to play. Out of all the custom tracks I've downloaded so far, there's maybe 2 or 3 that I've played more than once.

The Culture Bunker

Sort of amusing (to me, at least) that I can remember when those huge VR helmets first appeared over here, early 90s I think. I'd seen them on TV and thought "wow, that's a big jump from the Spectrum" - not long after, my family visited Blackpool for some unknown reason and one of the arcades had a VR set up alongside one of those G-LOC 360 machines that span you round as you flew your plane. Obviously I wanted a go, but it was something like a fiver a pop, so that was a no-go.

30 years later, I could easily go out and buy a VR thing for my PS4 tonight if I wanted, but don't feel the slightest bit arsed about it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: nugget on June 01, 2021, 08:09:29 AM
I'm finding that as well with Beat Saber. I mostly dislike the music, but at least the original tracks are fun to play. Out of all the custom tracks I've downloaded so far, there's maybe 2 or 3 that I've played more than once.

Yes, I wouldn't normally listen to Camellia or Joraslav Beck but the Beat Saber tracks are pefectly designed to be fun to play. Especially Spin Eternally, with those sections where you literally spin the sabers round to avoid the bombs, and that section which actually makes you feel like you're a drummer playing along.

I bought the Interscope music pack the other day. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun to play, the LMFAO track especially, but I still feel a bit dirty. Limp Bizkit are in it FFS, arrgghh.

Haven't played it yet because I still can't get the game to launch and have had to contact Oculua Support over this. It probably is a regional thing, and a look at Twitter suggests a lot of people are having the same issue, and the patch released yesterday didn't work for everyone.

nugget

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 01, 2021, 09:46:27 AM
Yes, I wouldn't normally listen to Camellia or Joraslav Beck but the Beat Saber tracks are pefectly designed to be fun to play. Especially Spin Eternally, with those sections where you literally spin the sabers round to avoid the bombs, and that section which actually makes you feel like you're a drummer playing along.

I bought the Interscope music pack the other day. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun to play, the LMFAO track especially, but I still feel a bit dirty. Limp Bizkit are in it FFS, arrgghh.

Haven't played it yet because I still can't get the game to launch and have had to contact Oculua Support over this. It probably is a regional thing, and a look at Twitter suggests a lot of people are having the same issue, and the patch released yesterday didn't work for everyone.

I hope you enjoy it, when they get it working, despite the presence of a Limp Bizkit song. I just checked the tracklist for the Interscope pack and, although I'm sure the maps will be well-made, the artists involved immediately puts me off buying the pack. Maybe I should just have a listen to LMFAO and OneRepublic later (never heard of those two) and just buy those tracks if I don't hate them.

peanutbutter

Quote from: nugget on June 01, 2021, 12:59:15 PM
Maybe I should just have a listen to LMFAO and OneRepublic later (never heard of those two) and just buy those tracks if I don't hate them.
I can save you the time and tell you you'll hate them, LMFAO are pretty roundly despised and rightly so.

Another thing about the original tracks is that there's a much nicer feel to the difficulty. I was playing Beat Saber (the song) on Extreme a few days ago and doing fine but was like "man, I bet hard would feel a lot better right now" and I was 100% correct. With custom tracks the difficulty levels just feel like awkward attempts to adapt the originally intended level (usually Hard for older tunes, Extreme for newer ones, and Extreme+ if its some sort of thing that seems like it's made by autistic grinders aiming to give themselves a heart attack such as most the anime theme tunes, EDM and videogame songs)

nugget

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 01, 2021, 01:24:02 PM
I can save you the time and tell you you'll hate them, LMFAO are pretty roundly despised and rightly so.

Another thing about the original tracks is that there's a much nicer feel to the difficulty. I was playing Beat Saber (the song) on Extreme a few days ago and doing fine but was like "man, I bet hard would feel a lot better right now" and I was 100% correct. With custom tracks the difficulty levels just feel like awkward attempts to adapt the originally intended level (usually Hard for older tunes, Extreme for newer ones, and Extreme+ if its some sort of thing that seems like it's made by autistic grinders aiming to give themselves a heart attack such as most the anime theme tunes, EDM and videogame songs)

You're right, I hate them, and OneRepublic even more so. I can imagine the LMFAO song could be good fun to play though.

I agree about the difficulty levels being better tuned with the original tracks. One of the few custom tracks I've tried that I actually like playing (Camo & Crooked - Climax) is great fun and very satisfying to play in 'Hard' mode, although it is a little too easy for me, but when I tried it in Expert mode it felt totally different and I couldn't get into the 'flow' at all. With the original tracks, I found it very satisfying to work my way up through the difficulty levels as I got better. The transitions between the difficulty levels always felt smooth to me and not as jarring as it can be with custom tracks.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 01, 2021, 01:42:42 AM

Everything I want out of a VR game, and it is smart enough to drop the odd totally unexpected moment on you. An FPS that feels like a platformer, it is enjoyable and FUCKING ANNOYING (in a good way) in equal measure.

Great game, well worth picking up.

Finished it today, brilliant game. As much of a strategy game as an FPS, and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Good bit of gaming, that.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 01, 2021, 01:42:42 AM

I share your love and hatred. My hatred comes from the checkpoint system, having to repeat the same sequence of easy bits over and over because they're placed before a really hard bit. Cue lots of shouting and swearing. That's literally my only gripe though, the game is absolute gold.

Blue Jam

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 01, 2021, 01:24:02 PM

Well, I don't hate them. I do enjoy I'm Sexy And I Know It but I guess that's partly because I have a friend who really, really, really looks like the singer and this amuses us greatly.

Oculus have just released a system update which seems to have fixed the problem, so I can confirm that the LMFAO track is indeed fun to play. I guess I'll soon be ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN' with the best of them (urrrgghh).

After this I am hoping more (better) labels and artists will be putting out official tracks which are both fun to play and the sort of stuff I'd listen to outside the game.