Author Topic: Virtual Reality  (Read 33373 times)

Blue Jam

• (I may have you on ignore)
Re: Virtual Reality
« Reply #360 on: September 03, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »
Great isn't it! Have watched quite a few of my favourite films that I never got a chance to see at the cinema and it's a damn good replication. The main environment I use has an exit door to the left and I sometimes find myself glancing over at it, stupidly thinking someone is going to walk in. It does feel a bit eerie sitting in an empty theatre.

I have the opposite problem with Amazon VR's cinema environment. It has no doors at all, and looking for an exit made me a bit claustrophobic.

I found that a bit annoying. The FPS scene definitely has a lot of individuals I don't want to spend time in VR with (sometimes because they're kids, other times just because they're just really shouty anti-social freaks). Onward is a very similar game that has a single player/campaign element.

I was put off Onward after reading a review saying players keep drawing spunking cocks on the map. I really don't like being reminded how juvenile my hobby is, guys.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #361 on: September 03, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
I found that a bit annoying. The FPS scene definitely has a lot of individuals I don't want to spend time in VR with (sometimes because they're kids, other times just because they're just really shouty anti-social freaks). Onward is a very similar game that has a single player/campaign element.

If I could turn that off I’d probably be more interested. Downloaded it for now (it’s free so why not) but not sure how much time I’ll actually spend playing it.

« Reply #362 on: September 03, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »
The VR cinema (Bigscreen) is surprisingly useful. I think the image quality is slightly compromised by the resolution of the display, but it still looks pretty good. The best thing about it, for me, is that it completely isolates you from outside distractions, and I feel less compelled to do habitual things like constantly check my phone. I normally struggle to watch anything that goes on longer than 1 hour these days, and the Quest helps a lot with that. With a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones, you can totally block out the outside world and just concentrate on whatever you're watching. I'd really like to take it next time I have to fly long haul, but I think I'd feel a bit daft sitting in economy with a VR headset strapped to my face.

« Reply #363 on: September 03, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »
The VR cinema (Bigscreen) is surprisingly useful. I think the image quality is slightly compromised by the resolution of the display, but it still looks pretty good. The best thing about it, for me, is that it completely isolates you from outside distractions, and I feel less compelled to do habitual things like constantly check my phone. I normally struggle to watch anything that goes on longer than 1 hour these days, and the Quest helps a lot with that. With a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones, you can totally block out the outside world and just concentrate on whatever you're watching. I'd really like to take it next time I have to fly long haul, but I think I'd feel a bit daft sitting in economy with a VR headset strapped to my face.

Yeah I get distracted a lot (mostly "what have I seen them in", "I wonder where this was filmed" searches on my phone) but not with the VR headset on. The resolution on the Quest 2 is almost 4k, so if you have a 4k output from your PC/laptop or enough room to fit a 4k file on the headset itself you can get better quality, although I find that 1080p still looks great. I use the Virtual Desktop environments generally over Bigscreen as I find the latter a bit cartoony. But they're all good and Bigscreen does have more options for customization.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #364 on: September 03, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »
I’ve tried to watch a few things on my Quest and it’s not for me - I find it very isolating. Managed about 5 minutes next to my wife on the sofa before feeling absurd and switching it off.

I bet it’s good if you’re really into a film or something though.

Blue Jam

« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
Oh gawd I wouldn’t watch a film in VR with anyone else present. I get self-consciousness enough wearing the Quest 2 when I'm all on my Bill.

El Unicornio, I can relate to absolutely all of that. One reason I love video games so much is that I'm not a casual gamer and it feels like a session focusing on some immersive role-playing FPS does my shot-to-fuck attention span some good. I don't get that watching films on a proper telly, especially on Amazon Prime where you can answer the question of "Ooooh, what else have I seen him in? Who is that?" just by pressing pause.

Shame so many films are three fucking hours long these days though, VR and my eyes and brain are not built for that.

« Reply #366 on: September 06, 2021, 03:31:41 AM »
Yeah I get distracted a lot (mostly "what have I seen them in", "I wonder where this was filmed" searches on my phone) but not with the VR headset on. The resolution on the Quest 2 is almost 4k, so if you have a 4k output from your PC/laptop or enough room to fit a 4k file on the headset itself you can get better quality, although I find that 1080p still looks great. I use the Virtual Desktop environments generally over Bigscreen as I find the latter a bit cartoony. But they're all good and Bigscreen does have more options for customization.

I didn't know the Quest 2's resolution was that good. I have a Quest 1 and find that the resolution isn't all that great for watching films. It's also a bit uncomfortable to sit in a stationary position to watch something for more than half an hour. I like it to watch short episodes of things or things where picture quality isn't all that important. I really enjoyed watching some of the National Theatre shows (in a couple of sittings) that they put on Youtube last year as well as a couple of the Daniel Kitson Vimeo stage shows. Also, if you haven't tried watching a 3D film on your Quest, I'd strongly recommend downloading one and trying it out. Dredd and the Kraftwerk concert film are worth a try for starters.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #367 on: September 06, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »
The Quest 2 resolution is quite an astounding upgrade over the first Quest, it's hard to explain how much sharper it is. I only wish we still had the deep blacks of the first model's OLED screen, that would be perfect.

In other news, they've doubled the storage-size in the base model now which is pretty good, going from 64GB to 128GB but for the same price.

I originally bought the 64GB Q2 on launch and soon regretted not going with the 256GB storage as I found, especially with games such as Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, the storage filled up pretty fast. My wife had been using my old Q1 but decided she wanted an upgrade, so she got my old Q2 as the storage was ample for her usage and I bought the 256GB.

Blue Jam

« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2021, 04:53:40 PM »
Oooooh:

https://www.roadtovr.com/resident-evil-4-oculus-quest-2-release-date-trailer/

Played one of the RE games on the Xbone, didn’t like it much, but in VR? Now we're talking.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
Sounds fucking TERRIFYING. It put the wind up be in 2007 in Wii, I bet VR will be another level.

Bring it on.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2021, 05:58:54 PM »
RE7 was one of my favourite VR experiences so I'm definitely looking forward to this (very different game styles though)

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »
Does it scare the absolute shit out of you though? I’m a wimp when it comes to these things, not sure I’ll be able to cope.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2021, 07:37:56 PM »
Yeah, but it's scary in the way I imagine roller coasters being for people who aren't massive wusses with rides like I am. With VR you've always got that safety net of reality in the back of your mind so it doesn't get unbearable.

I suppose it's different for everyone but it's horror where VR shines for me. I love all the dark, creepy, dread-inducing and jumpy stuff. I played the Kitchen demo with a massive grin on my face whereas my wife lasted about three seconds before scrambling to take the headset off. But then she'll happily go and speed around on some massive scaffolding at Alton Towers while I wait for her on solid ground. However I do enjoy a VR roller coaster, including the weird stomach feeling.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »
On a spectrum, I suspect I am much closer to the “3 seconds then scramble to take off” end.

If it’s cheap I might give it a go after I finish Outer Wilds.

« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2021, 08:24:37 PM »
Tetris Effect on Oculus Quest was bumped up to Tetris Effect Connected for free recently, finally bumped up the resolution for the Quest 2 as well. All in all it's a pretty drastic improvement.

I imagine RE4's commercial performance will have a pretty big impact on future Quest development (unless the game's just a big lazy dud). If it does well whatever remaining PC VR development stuff there is will move over there, if it doesn't it might stunt the whole market for a few years as no one will be able to justify making a high price VR game.

« Reply #375 on: October 03, 2021, 02:45:11 PM »
With VR you've always got that safety net of reality in the back of your mind so it doesn't get unbearable.

I completely lose sense of reality when I play video games, and in particular VR games, so I think I'll have to give it a miss. I can handle stuff like Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners though

Blue Jam

« Reply #376 on: October 03, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »
Imagine Alien: Isolation in VR. Brrrrrrrr.

« Reply #377 on: October 03, 2021, 02:54:35 PM »
I mean it would be amazing, but also I would have to stop after the first few sections. Would play if they modded it to remove the alien...

Blue Jam

« Reply #378 on: October 03, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »
Ditto for Subnautica. It would be like a stunningly beautiful waterboarding.

bomb_dog

• Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
« Reply #379 on: October 03, 2021, 10:01:15 PM »
Gave iVRy a go last week - it’s a (comparably) poor-mans oculus in that it streams Steam VR games to a headset with your phone in.

It worked ok, better than expected, but even so, I play American Truck Simulator with three screens and although I could look around the cab and gawp at the scenery by moving my head, it seemed like I was using kids cardboard binoculars to look at anything. Far nicer without and it’s put thoughts of the oculus out of my mind for the foreseeable.

Blue Jam

« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2021, 10:32:16 PM »
Sorry, but it sounds like the Quest 2 would absolutely piss on that.

« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2021, 12:19:44 AM »
Hopefully we will eventually get VR headsets with the resolution of this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/goovis-lite-crystal-clear-personal-3d-cinema

The fresnel lens of VR sets just isn't good enough for big screen movies really, is it?

Tags: