Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

Amazing game in VR, very beautiful. Real talk, easily as good on an OLED and headphones, one of my favourite gaming experiences of the year, weeping with happiness. Rez Infinite too. Total euphoria on OLED and VR.

Dewt

Quote from: popcorn on May 15, 2020, 07:13:46 PM
is it? I just played it for a bit and was mesmerised.
It's definitely really good and magical as AP describes. Trying to talk about it without being enough to compare it to drugs, but...

I thought I'd like the more abstract bits the most but so far the best experiences for me have been
Spoiler alert
the sparks that transformed into a chanting circle and a desert that turned into the moon.
[close]

Yes I consider those spoilers.

popcorn

I mean, if it's better on every other VR platform, what's lacking on Quest?

Dewt

It doesn't have the horsepower to be quite as spectacular. I got over it though, just had to flip the switch in my brain. It's great as it is.

PC could probably handle this with the link cable but I'd still prefer to play it untethered and I can't be bothered to do it wirelessly via Virtual Desktop.

Dewt

Busted out the dual GTX 1080 mammoth desktop CPU laptop that work gifted me as an incentive for taking OSCP that has been sitting in a room doing nothing for two years. It's now my PC VR rig. Gonna get Tetris Effect running on that instead.

buntyman

Table tennis on the quest is amazing. Worth picking up in the sale if you don't have it. Pity I'm totally rubbish at it but I'd be keen to give anyone a game

Dewt

Presumably you mean Eleven Table Tennis

(just so nobody buys the other, less-good table tennis game)

buntyman

Quote from: Dewt on May 22, 2020, 10:22:13 AM
Presumably you mean Eleven Table Tennis

(just so nobody buys the other, less-good table tennis game)

Yup

Dewt

It is a difficult game. I haven't played since about a month ago, but practice really does help. First couple of days I couldn't beat the easiest AI. Then I'd get good enough to beat it regularly and move on to medium, until I could beat that reliably. Last time I played it I was just about holding my own against hard (ooh-err etc.)

In terms of VR experience, it is the most uncanny. It really felt like being in a different place. Have you tried to rest your controller on the table and have it tumble to the ground yet?

buntyman

That makes me feel better as I was really struggling on easy mode despite thinking i'm alright at table tennis in real life and this game being the most accurate sport simulator i've ever played.

Shame the game is a bit bare bones in terms of presentation and options, it could be brilliant if there was a proper matchmaking or tournament mode. Seems quite a few people play it online anyway, it never takes long to find a match (and then for me to be soundly beaten). Oh and yes, I have gone to rest my controllers on the virtual table a couple of times - the wriststraps are invaluable in this game.

Dewt

Yeah, the game is definitely a bit bare bones. Doesn't quite feel like a real product, more like something where they've perfected the basics and wrapped it in a shitshow of a game. A campaign mode wouldn't go amiss, along with some menus that don't look like 1998.

peanutbutter

Quest 2 having a surprisingly low £299 retail price means the first Quest's value on ebay has absolutely collapsed in the last fortnight. Grabbed one for £165 there a few days ago. Wouldn't be surprised if their price actually rebounds a bit.

Will get a link cable too so if anyone want to recommend some VR games/experiences  I'd love to hear what they are.

Cloud

Interesting.... despite all the hoo-ha about Facebook I'd be quite tempted in a Quest for some more portable Beat Saber.

gmoney

I've just ordered a Rift S, arriving tomorrow. I'm shitting myself with excitement. Any new games causing a stir? I've bought Pixel Ripped and Accounting+ in advance.

peanutbutter

how much did you pay? a Quest 2 might be a better bet at this stage with Facebook committing to the Oculus Link functionality (or possibly a used Quest), I've not used mine hugely yet but the resolution bump over the first quest seems worth it so far. The slight drop in FOV is more annoying than the switch away from OLED tbh. Beat Saber and Rez Infinite are still my faves, gradually accumulating some quality of life boosts alongside it (controller grips, headstrap, padding thing). Quite love the kind of energy all this shit gets outta me, probs gonna try one of those boxing games next.
Wish there were more multiplayer options or at least ones that weren't completely clogged with rich 12 year olds. or more things like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes that allow co op with a non VR owner.

Phantasmagoria came out a few months ago and has been getting very strong reviews. Alyx obvs too. If you buy a Quest 2 before the end of January you get Asghard's Wrath with it, I don't have the 130GB of space on my NTFS drive to see if it's actually as good as people were saying though.

El Unicornio, mang

I'm planning on getting one at some point in the new year and my research suggests that Half-Life: Alyx is the best title out there right now (as already mentioned). The Star Wars one is supposed to be good too, albeit pretty short. And Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 if that's your bag.

gmoney

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 30, 2020, 05:03:02 PM
how much did you pay?

£299, a fair chunk of that in vouchers. I did look at the Quest, but it was the same price and the resolution is apparently not as good.

Cheers for the reccos. Going to grab Beat Saber and Alyx I think.

mobias

The Quest 2 has higher resolution screens than the Rift S. It has 1832×1920px per eye while the Rift S is 1280×1440. The Quest 2 can also go up to 90Hz. I think the Rift can go to 80.

I almost bought a Rift S, its 100 quid cheaper but its not going to be supported soon and the wireless gaming with the Quest 2 is a good thing. If you connect it to your PC and just use it as a regular VR headset
wirelessly you actually get better performance than you do using a cable. Which is a bit weird but it supports the latest super fast wi-fi connection speed.

gmoney

Ah, well it looks like I fucked my very limited research!

mobias

Quote from: gmoney on December 30, 2020, 06:41:32 PM
Ah, well it looks like I fucked my very limited research!

I made the same error but managed to cancel my order for the Rift S before it was shipped. If you haven't received it yet you could always cancel. Most places give you a 14 day period to return something anyway.

The lower resolution screen isn't so much of a issue but you'd be missing out more for not having a totally wireless headset. Thats the Quest 2 main selling point. Its pretty good to not even need a PC to run games on it. The downside of the Quest 2 is that you have to link it to a Facebook account.

mobias

For anyone here that has a VR headset Jean Michel Jarre is doing a live VR concert tonight at 10.25. Looks ace.

peanutbutter

Quote from: mobias on December 30, 2020, 07:41:47 PM
The downside of the Quest 2 is that you have to link it to a Facebook account.
and the Oculus store tends to charge a bit of a premium on games over steam and wherever else, shocking number of games without cross-play support too; Facebook are wealthy enough that they should be able to cover the added costs on developers porting shit over to the Quest (although I will say it's better they don't allow cross-play than coerce developers into taking the cost).
At the very least they could be a bit more transparent about this stuff on the store instead of having to click into each entry, the store on the app being a bit different to the store on desktop, etc.

If buying a Quest 2 new and its your first one it's probably worth getting it from John Lewis with the accident protection btw. Replacement controllers are expensive as fuck and I'd imagine it'd be very easy to make shit of one it you don't have some measures in place to ensure you don't accidentally punch walls or fling the controller across a room.

What fitness games does everyone recommend? Also, any quality of life accessories you can't imagine not having now. Getting a Quest 2 Elite Strap the second I see one available, will say I actually don't mind the stock strap though; if nothing else it makes the whole thing drastically more portable but the praise towards the elite one (asides from the initial issues of ones snapping or whatever it was) make it sound very appealing. _might_ stump up for a Wifi 6 router too

El Unicornio, mang

Got pretty excited seeing people on YouTube playing GTA V using a variety of different VR sets and PC link. Apparently works well, using just a simple mod (albeit only single player mode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1Nti00S_o

mobias

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 31, 2020, 05:03:37 PM
and the Oculus store tends to charge a bit of a premium on games over steam and wherever else, shocking number of games without cross-play support too; Facebook are wealthy enough that they should be able to cover the added costs on developers porting shit over to the Quest (although I will say it's better they don't allow cross-play than coerce developers into taking the cost).
At the very least they could be a bit more transparent about this stuff on the store instead of having to click into each entry, the store on the app being a bit different to the store on desktop, etc.

If buying a Quest 2 new and its your first one it's probably worth getting it from John Lewis with the accident protection btw. Replacement controllers are expensive as fuck and I'd imagine it'd be very easy to make shit of one it you don't have some measures in place to ensure you don't accidentally punch walls or fling the controller across a room.

What fitness games does everyone recommend? Also, any quality of life accessories you can't imagine not having now. Getting a Quest 2 Elite Strap the second I see one available, will say I actually don't mind the stock strap though; if nothing else it makes the whole thing drastically more portable but the praise towards the elite one (asides from the initial issues of ones snapping or whatever it was) make it sound very appealing. _might_ stump up for a Wifi 6 router too

Apparently that as with Sony and Microsoft and their respective consoles Facebook are selling the Quest 2 at quite a considerable loss per headset but are obviously all geared up to make that money back by tying people into their ecosystem and flogging their data. In order to get flight simulator to stream wirelessly to the Quest 2 I had to buy the virtual desktop app for the Quest 2, which was 12 quid! Its pretty much a necessity to have it if you want to game from your PC so it all adds to the cost, as does the link cable which you also have to have, though you don't need to buy the expensive own brand Oculus one. 

One thing I've found out is that there's a big third party aftermarket in providing far superior facial gaskets for fitting your headset better to your face. I really struggle to get my Quest 2 to fit properly and I'm also marginally allergic to the foam used in it, which is apparently quite common so I've read, so I'm going to order up a new gasket from these people. https://eu.vrcover.com/ 

mobias

That Jean Michel Jarre VR concert was a pretty bonkers way to see in the New Year last night. The concert itself was amazing but it showed up the weakness of the Quest 2 headset graphical ability.
With the stand alone headset it was glitchy as hell and the visuals were all powered right down. If you watched it via Steam and your PC it was absolutely superb. Great sound quality and all these amazing
3D visual effects happening all around you. I've dropped acid tabs at real gigs that weren't as visually bonkers as all that last night. I got chatting to a 12 foot tall peanut from Italy who took me to this weird after
party. It really was down the rabbit hole kind of stuff. You can see why the world of Ready Player One is pretty much already here.

You can watch it here but it was the sort of thing you had to be there for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKjFjFtKBRI&t=2885s

H-O-W-L

peanutbutter

Quote from: mobias on December 31, 2020, 06:44:15 PM
One thing I've found out is that there's a big third party aftermarket in providing far superior facial gaskets for fitting your headset better to your face. I really struggle to get my Quest 2 to fit properly and I'm also marginally allergic to the foam used in it, which is apparently quite common so I've read, so I'm going to order up a new gasket from these people. https://eu.vrcover.com/
Got a Chinese one of these, it's def an upgrade but I reckon it'd be worth getting the VR Cover one instead. The little flap at your nose alone has been a big help (kept steaming up the lenses, think it's just the cold weather at the moment but could be something to do with the Quest 2. It feels a bit worse over a short length but much better over a long length too.
I definitely have a bit of an issue in that my eyelashes seem to be too long for the flatter foam options, I've freakishly long eyelashes though.

Quote from: mobias on January 01, 2021, 12:51:24 PM
That Jean Michel Jarre VR concert was a pretty bonkers way to see in the New Year last night. The concert itself was amazing but it showed up the weakness of the Quest 2 headset graphical ability.
With the stand alone headset it was glitchy as hell and the visuals were all powered right down. If you watched it via Steam and your PC it was absolutely superb. Great sound quality and all these amazing
3D visual effects happening all around you. I've dropped acid tabs at real gigs that weren't as visually bonkers as all that last night. I got chatting to a 12 foot tall peanut from Italy who took me to this weird after
party. It really was down the rabbit hole kind of stuff. You can see why the world of Ready Player One is pretty much already here.

You can watch it here but it was the sort of thing you had to be there for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKjFjFtKBRI&t=2885s
What app was this on? I've been kinda underwhelmed by the social options so far.

El Unicornio, mang

After some more research, apparently Thrill of the Fight is the best VR workout game, very realistic boxing simulation and only a tenner. There's videos of actual professional boxers playing it and ending up drenched in sweat/worn out by the end.

I'm also keen to use my Quest 2 (when I get it) to go on one of those 360 tours of cities like New York and Tokyo that are all over YouTube. Obviously you're restricted by wherever the person is deciding to walk but that's generally the case if I'm on holiday with someone else anyway.

gmoney

Quote from: mobias on December 30, 2020, 07:41:47 PM
I made the same error but managed to cancel my order for the Rift S before it was shipped. If you haven't received it yet you could always cancel. Most places give you a 14 day period to return something anyway.

The lower resolution screen isn't so much of a issue but you'd be missing out more for not having a totally wireless headset. Thats the Quest 2 main selling point. Its pretty good to not even need a PC to run games on it. The downside of the Quest 2 is that you have to link it to a Facebook account.

I've ended up keeping the Rift as I couldn't be arsed with the faff and the wait of sending it back. I am totally in love with it at the moment, my body is aching from playing Creed for hours yesterday. I'm also loving just watching old wrestling on a "big" screen as if I was in a cinema. Pretty outstanding so far.

mobias

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 02, 2021, 03:50:15 PM

What app was this on? I've been kinda underwhelmed by the social options so far.

You could go to the gig via a few different apps but the VRchat app seems to be the most popular. That's what I used, via Steam. 

The VRchat app is pretty bonkers. It does look like a kind of very, very embryonic version of the Oasis world depicted in Ready Player One. You can truly go down the rabbit hole there
into this parallel ever persistent virtual world with a whole load of crazy shit going on. I'm guessing that since the Quest 2 has come out its been populated increasingly by children and teenagers which is probably its target audience now.

Its interesting that Sony have apparently slightly given up on their Playstation VR system just as VR is gaining some momentum out with the niche gaming PC world. I reckon from now on its going to be a really fast moving
tech hardware scene. I'm really quite blown away by the Quest 2. Its quite an incredible headset for the price. That being said I'm so impressed by VR, especially in Flight Simulator, that I actually want a proper enthusiasts
headset thats optimised for the sim so I'm going to sell my Quest 2 in a couple of months and get a HP Reverb G2.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 02, 2021, 03:55:28 PM

I'm also keen to use my Quest 2 (when I get it) to go on one of those 360 tours of cities like New York and Tokyo that are all over YouTube. Obviously you're restricted by wherever the person is deciding to walk but that's generally the case if I'm on holiday with someone else anyway.

I tried one in Sydney. They're great. Its so immersive you really do feel like you're standing in the street there.