Author Topic: What is point hardback  (Read 1347 times)

What is point hardback
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
Heavy, uncomfortable, shelf-hogging bastards to a man. When's the normal version coming out dickhead

buttgammon

• You can't trust a man what's made of gas
Re: What is point hardback
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »
RONALADO BIOGROPHY IS SUPER HARD BACK IS POSSIBLE.

I generally prefer paperbacks, but I had a phase of buying hardbacks a few years ago. It got a bit too expensive and started to take up way too much space, so I weaned myself off by buying trade-sized paperbacks of new things. That said, I've got a small collection of nice, old-ish hardbacks that takes pride of place on my bookshelves, two favourites being a first American edition of Molloy by Samuel Beckett, and a first edition of J.G. Ballard's Empire of the Sun that my girlfriend got insanely cheap in a secondhand bookshop.

One thing I've noticed about hardbacks is that the design seems to age quicker than paperbacks for some reason. I don't like the way dustjackets easily get frayed either.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:47:05 PM »

Can the appearance of paperback books be aped to make your VHS collection look more attractive? I guess maybe, but I am yet to see it.

Bennett Brauer

• I'm not "likeable"
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:18:35 AM »
Ever borrowed a paperback from a public library?  Falling to pieces and riddled with pestilence.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »
Ever borrowed a paperback from a public library?  Falling to pieces and riddled with pestilence.

But what are the paperbacks like?

'Ancient Jokes' by Hugh Marrus - check shelves.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
They used to do small hardbacks, 70 years ago or something, but they seem to have died out. Hardbacks are just a way to get more money, aren't they? I hate them.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
Exception: the book is really long.

Hardback fiction books with their big typefaces are grotesque.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »
I like a big wanky hardback coffee table art/photography/cookery book, despite not owning a coffee table.

Hardback fiction will forever be tainted in my mind by the time I went on holiday and shared a suitcase with a mate to save money, except she insisted on bringing the full Fifty Shades trilogy in hardback and it pushed our luggage over the weight limit. But it's a good way of making as much money off pre-orders as possible, I guess.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
money

the midnight watch baboon

• Gelled, spiky hair fragrant near my teeth
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »
They are normally half price when they come out and are good for stacking and tactical shelf organising. bye