Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is point hardback

Started by mrpupkin, May 16, 2019, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpupkin

Heavy, uncomfortable, shelf-hogging bastards to a man. When's the normal version coming out dickhead

buttgammon

RONALADO BIOGROPHY IS SUPER HARD BACK IS POSSIBLE.

I generally prefer paperbacks, but I had a phase of buying hardbacks a few years ago. It got a bit too expensive and started to take up way too much space, so I weaned myself off by buying trade-sized paperbacks of new things. That said, I've got a small collection of nice, old-ish hardbacks that takes pride of place on my bookshelves, two favourites being a first American edition of Molloy by Samuel Beckett, and a first edition of J.G. Ballard's Empire of the Sun that my girlfriend got insanely cheap in a secondhand bookshop.

One thing I've noticed about hardbacks is that the design seems to age quicker than paperbacks for some reason. I don't like the way dustjackets easily get frayed either.

imitationleather

Can the appearance of paperback books be aped to make your VHS collection look more attractive? I guess maybe, but I am yet to see it.

Bennett Brauer

Ever borrowed a paperback from a public library?  Falling to pieces and riddled with pestilence.

willpurry

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 18, 2019, 02:18:35 AM
Ever borrowed a paperback from a public library?  Falling to pieces and riddled with pestilence.

But what are the paperbacks like?

'Ancient Jokes' by Hugh Marrus - check shelves.

marquis_de_sad

They used to do small hardbacks, 70 years ago or something, but they seem to have died out. Hardbacks are just a way to get more money, aren't they? I hate them.

marquis_de_sad

Exception: the book is really long.

Hardback fiction books with their big typefaces are grotesque.

flotemysost

I like a big wanky hardback coffee table art/photography/cookery book, despite not owning a coffee table.

Hardback fiction will forever be tainted in my mind by the time I went on holiday and shared a suitcase with a mate to save money, except she insisted on bringing the full Fifty Shades trilogy in hardback and it pushed our luggage over the weight limit. But it's a good way of making as much money off pre-orders as possible, I guess.

the midnight watch baboon

They are normally half price when they come out and are good for stacking and tactical shelf organising. bye