Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:36:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

330ml IPA in Garish Can

Started by touchingcloth, May 16, 2019, 11:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

I hate myself for being very fond of Hawkes ciders - made by hipsters (one of whom I believe was involved with the abhorrent Icecreamists brand), big on its "yeah mate, made in Laaahndon using apples grown in the centre of Laaahndon mate" USP, a skull as their logo (rolls eyes), terrible names (Dead and Berried, Doom and Bloom, Elephants On Ice, etc - rolls eyes again), they even do a beer-cider hybrid...but they make REALLY nice cider.
(throws up onto own genitals)

phes

Quote from: thenoise on May 17, 2019, 09:53:44 AM
Mind you, could get thoroughly drunk for not much more than a tenner.

This is still pretty much possible. Two recent pubs I've been into have had some kind of cask beer around 5-6% for under £4. And the Sports bar I was in last night was selling Carling for £2.

Four pints of Jaipur or 7 pints of Carling bleurgh is surely enough to get the average human well oiled

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 17, 2019, 11:44:19 AM

or this. six of these will knock you on your arse & give you a goodly clear-out the next morning.

"flock of starlings in there with you?"
"no, I was on the .... urgh.... theakston's... ugh.... last night. one too many, maybe."

Love Olde Peculier in winter but if I had to drink no other beer than this for the rest of my life I'd be perfectly happy. Probably.

imitationleather

Quote from: Cuellar on May 17, 2019, 09:54:31 AM

AIDS-tier beer

Oh right. So this is what they serve at the new Spurs stadium and all the people on the forum I read are going crazy about.

Norton Canes

Got one of these lined up for this evening. Day can't go quick enough.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 17, 2019, 10:28:16 AM
the one & only.

everything else get fucked.

Changed the recipe - authentic dog now found only in North Macedonia where i was integral in setting up the import side of things

BlodwynPig

Is this now Beers thread 2?

Norton Canes

Not all craft beer cans are garish, I quite like these from Union:

BlodwynPig

I only go for interesting designs

shiftwork2

I only drink beer that comes in shoes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on May 17, 2019, 09:54:31 AM

^ That one really is gloopy one note shit drunk by people who sneer at lager but are happy consuming something even less interesting that costs £5.50 instead of £3.50.

AIDS-tier beer? Not really but definitely in the overrated category.

Shit Good Nose

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2019, 01:08:11 PM
Got one of these lined up for this evening. Day can't go quick enough.

Now that's a fine, fine beer.

Weihenstephaner did a hoppy Hefeweizen collaboration with a US brewery recently, which seemed out of character for such a traditional brewery. Called Braupakt, I believe. Worst beer they've brewed by a country mile, in their case probably for centuries.

phes

Quote from: imitationleather on May 17, 2019, 01:06:04 PM
Oh right. So this is what they serve at the new Spurs stadium and all the people on the forum I read are going crazy about.

Correct. Now disowned by much of the craft beer scene/industry on account of selling half the company to Putin or Gervais or Katie Hopkins or someoneorother i forget now. It's a totally acceptable beer that once was better. If you've been drinking Carling or John Smith's at the football then you probably have every right to be raving about it

poo

jake thunder

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2019, 01:54:52 PM

^ That one really is gloopy one note shit drunk by people who sneer at lager but are happy consuming something even less interesting that costs £5.50 instead of £3.50.

AIDS-tier beer? Not really but definitely in the overrated category.

You can buy this for £1.66 a tin. Not that expensive.

It's not the best example of a modern ipa but it's ok.

This thread is bleak. Not everyone wants to drink warm British pond water or authentic Czech pilsners. It's a fucking golden age of beer right now so stop moaning. Lots of people like garish tins.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: thenoise on May 17, 2019, 09:53:44 AM
Mind you, could get thoroughly drunk for not much more than a tenner.

True. Tricky even at Sam Smiths these days as that's only 5 pints of low strength bitter.

Spoons though, cans of Bengali are £1.99. 5 of those will get you going. Or upjazz to 3 Resins.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jake thunder on May 17, 2019, 02:00:48 PM
You can buy this for £1.66 a tin. Not that expensive.

It's not the best example of a modern ipa but it's ok.

This thread is bleak. Not everyone wants to drink warm British pond water or authentic Czech pilsners. It's a fucking golden age of beer right now so stop moaning. Lots of people like garish tins.

Not in a bar though.

People who pretend beers with only one flavour that's like hoppy Fanta are better than complex beer that doesn't have the right zeitgeist cache or branding are worse. The deluded man is worse than the curmudgeon.

Also I am very happy with the beer scene to be fair, I just dislike how we've thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Great trad beer from Germany, Belgium, and UK marginalised at the expense of many far worse beers is not something worse celebrating. Cask ale being marginalised when we are virtually the only country in the world that does it is not something worth celebrating.

In fairness it's now come full circle so very unhoppy beers are in, but they apparently must be some variant of pale ale that looks like murky sick and is again, one-note. Rather than yknow, all the styles you never see in a craft pub, eg.

Munich Dunkel
Rotbier
Kellerbier
Altbier (very few exceptions)
Schwarzbier
Maibock
Bock
Leipziger Gose
Doppelbock (very few exceptions)
Rauchbier (very few exceptions)
Dunkelweizen
Weizenbock
Polotmavy
13° Lezak
Dubbel
Tripel
Quadrupel (very few exceptions)
Strong Blonde
Strong Dark Ale

Funnily enough, the rare occasions I have seen craft brewers try these they have been decidedly average or totally missing the point.

In fairness I've seen Grodziskie a few times recently.

Sebastian Cobb

If you're not drinking beer in vessels >= 500ml then you might as well put on a skirt and drink Babycham.

poo

Know what I love? What I really, really love??

GERRIN THE FUCKIN' BEERS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2019, 01:11:05 PM
Not all craft beer cans are garish, I quite like these from Union:

Seem to have disappeared from my Waitrose in favour of Northern Monk and Tiny Rebel which is a shame as I really like And Union especially that Neu Black lager.

Chollis

Lads will we just get the fuckin beeeeers in tonight

Cuellar

Can I just shock you?

I like beer.

phes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2019, 02:04:01 PM
Not in a bar though.

People who pretend beers with only one flavour that's like hoppy Fanta are better than complex beer that doesn't have the right zeitgeist cache or branding are worse. The deluded man is worse than the curmudgeon.

Also I am very happy with the beer scene to be fair, I just dislike how we've thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Great trad beer from Germany, Belgium, and UK marginalised at the expense of many far worse beers is not something worse celebrating. Cask ale being marginalised when we are virtually the only country in the world that does it is not something worth celebrating.

My local keeps selling me cheap stuff he can't sell. The last one was Tiny Rebel's dutty which is a Vermont ipa that fits your description. No idea who he thought was going to spend £4 on a small can of bog standard contemporary 4% ipa. Happily bought them for £1 each though.

The current trend is pretty unexciting I agree. Beers like Odell's IPA and St Lupulin, Sierra Nevada's various specials, Buxton's Axe Edge/Wyoming Sheep Ranch, Thornbridge's Jaipur etc got me into the more heavily hopped styles of beer and I still find them a lot more interesting than the low bitterness fruit juices that are dominating fridges.

I've got to stop drinking tiny rebel's novelty beers. Last night I ordered what I thought was a pale and it turned out to be a jam donut APA. Revolting and about the third tiny rebel I've had that's been undrinkable.

Hat FM

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 17, 2019, 02:07:31 PM
Seem to have disappeared from my Waitrose in favour of Northern Monk and Tiny Rebel which is a shame as I really like And Union especially that Neu Black lager.

I think they do union in wholefoods? havent been there for a while but their weissbier is great.

Dont know how people are complaining about gamma ray. i love it. were they bought out? i thought they were founded by the son of robert plant or someone like that?

Cuellar

It tastes of chemicals and spit

pancreas

imitationleather

Quote from: Hat FM on May 17, 2019, 02:26:38 PM
I think they do union in wholefoods? havent been there for a while but their weissbier is great.

Dont know how people are complaining about gamma ray. i love it. were they bought out? i thought they were founded by the son of robert plant or someone like that?

From the Spurs chat I have been reading, they were bought by Heineken?

boki

Quote from: phes on May 17, 2019, 02:21:28 PM
I've got to stop drinking tiny rebel's novelty beers. Last night I ordered what I thought was a pale and it turned out to be a jam donut APA. Revolting and about the third tiny rebel I've had that's been undrinkable.
Yeah, they've gone too far down the wacky, fruity rabbithole.  They already had the alcoholic Um Bongo thing nailed with Clwb Tropicana, and that was enough, frankly.  Cwtch is lovely, though.  Prefer it out the can, mind.  Fight me.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 02:05:25 PM
If you're not drinking beer in vessels >= 500ml then you might as well put on a skirt and drink Babycham.
You say that as if I wouldn't.

Hat FM

Quote from: imitationleather on May 17, 2019, 02:29:24 PM
From the Spurs chat I have been reading, they were bought by Heineken?

oh really? great time to see i spose. i hear its quite cheap at spurs aswell? £7 or so a pint in london.