Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

330ml IPA in Garish Can

Started by touchingcloth, May 16, 2019, 11:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2019, 01:11:05 PM
Not all craft beer cans are garish, I quite like these from Union:

Reminds me of repo man.

Dex Sawash

boki

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 17, 2019, 02:46:27 PM
SuTtOnPuBcRaWlXXX #CANcelled
Shame, he'd have loved all the Heineken talk :'(

touchingcloth

Quote from: jake thunder on May 17, 2019, 02:00:48 PM
Lots of people are bells and cunts deserving of grave

That they are, Jake, that they are.

canadagoose

Newcastle Brown, yes. Old Peculier, yes. Garish can of IPA, probably not, as it will probably be way too hoppy for me. I just find a lot of them unpleasant.

Having a garish IPA right now while crimping off what I like to call a 'Magnifico'.

A 'Magnifico' is a 'greased rolling pin' which defies the chronological norms of 'first thing in the morning, last thing at night' and which leaves so little trace that the first and only wipe is met with a gleeful and wholly involuntary 'magnifico!'

imitationleather

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 17, 2019, 05:55:37 PM
Having a garish IPA right now while crimping off what I like to call a 'Magnifico'.

A 'Magnifico' is a 'greased rolling pin' which defies the chronological norms of 'first thing in the morning, last thing at night' and which leaves so little trace that the first and only wipe is met with a gleeful and wholly involuntary 'magnifico!'

On my estate we used to call those a "crowd pleaser".

It would have been paired with a K cider if we were drinking anything at the time, oh yes.

touchingcloth

Quote from: canadagoose on May 17, 2019, 05:26:37 PM
Newcastle Brown, yes. Old Peculier, yes. Garish can of IPA, probably not, as it will probably be way too hoppy for me. I just find a lot of them unpleasant.

*Pulls out dictaphone* Idea for craft IPA. Sour and unpleasant, actively offensive on a number of levels, an acquired taste specifically designed to be wildly appreciated by the significant minority who don't know any better. Potential name: Katie Hop-kins.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 17, 2019, 06:19:16 PM
*Pulls out dictaphone* Idea for craft IPA. Sour and unpleasant, actively offensive on a number of levels, an acquired taste specifically designed to be wildly appreciated by the significant minority who don't know any better. Potential name: Katie Hop-kins.

beers morgan could be the stout version. which wouldn't be like a proper stout, but rather pissy & weak & nasty, & probably popular with them yanks for a while.

touchingcloth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 17, 2019, 06:21:38 PM
beers morgan could be the stout version. which wouldn't be like a proper stout, but rather pissy & weak & nasty, & probably popular with them yanks for a while.

Are we doing this? I don't really use the bath tub, so we could brew one of them there.

touchingcloth

Zetetic

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2019, 01:11:05 PM
Not all craft beer cans are garish, I quite like these from Union:

Used to be able to get Steph Weiss in bottles (which possibly more clearly suggested it was something else rebadged? I don't know). And the alcohol-free version.

Both of which I strongly associate with my father's death from lung cancer (for no reason other than temporal coincidence) but were quite nice.

I've no idea why the Beavertown stuff is so common. None of has been very nice or interesting.

Zetetic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 17, 2019, 10:42:58 AM
I nearly bought a "blood orange" beer in M&S thinking it was a fizzy drink cos it was in a 330ml bright orange can in the Food to Go fridge.
Most of the M&S own-range seems quite unimpressive to me. Some of the stupidest looking ones might be better - the Mikkeller Berliner with passionfruit seem quite pleasant.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2019, 02:04:01 PM
Rather than yknow, all the styles you never see in a craft pub, eg.
In Cardiff, I think some of these have turned up either in The Cambrian Tap or Tiny Rebel's bar.

Either from actual longterm brewers of the type, or local craft. I can't much comment on the quality of the latter. Pipes attempted an Altbier that was ... fine but not very interesting.

Icehaven

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 17, 2019, 10:42:58 AM
I predict the arse will fall out of the market once someone twigs that these cans are all really appealing to children and the government turns on them. I nearly bought a "blood orange" beer in M&S thinking it was a fizzy drink cos it was in a 330ml bright orange can in the Food to Go fridge.

My mate did that with one of those premixed cocktails, bought a Pina Colada thinking it was orangeade. Now he's a GIRL DRINK DRUNK.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 02:46:08 PM
Reminds me of repo man.

Hold on, is that a screen shot from Repo Man? Did PiL just lift that whole design?

gib

Quote from: Zetetic on May 17, 2019, 06:54:32 PM
Most of the M&S own-range seems quite unimpressive to me. Some of the stupidest looking ones might be better - the Mikkeller Berliner with passionfruit seem quite pleasant.

They were OK when they do doing the '4 for 3' deal and reducing the shorter dated ones to £1 (and still applying the 4 for 3). I quite liked the Wimbledon ale.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I've just had a 330ml IPA in a garish can, it were reet nice. I like vaguely fruity flavours in my beer sometimes and as I know fuck all about beer anyway is doesn't feel like a faux pas.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 17, 2019, 08:51:40 PM
Hold on, is that a screen shot from Repo Man? Did PiL just lift that whole design?

I don't know who they are, but yeah they likely did.

Ferris

That hyper minimalist design is very popular in Toronto. I can think of 3 different beers from 3 separate breweries that are basically the word "beer" on a can.

Edit: thought of a 4th

petril

[tag]Half-Man Half-Biscuit B-sides[/tag]

Urinal Cake

Why make two dozen okay beers plus another three or four seasonals when you can perfect one beer? Like Hoegaarden.

Sebastian Cobb

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 17, 2019, 10:32:21 PM
Why make two dozen okay beers plus another three or four seasonals when you can perfect one beer? Like Hoegaarden.

And get taken over and then relocated then the big macro can't work out how you made it taste like that then decide to continue brewing right where you were. A fairly nice story. Hoegaarden divides opinion, I like it. Tastes aside, it's well brewed.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2019, 09:11:32 PM
I don't know who they are, but yeah they likely did.

Public Image Limited.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2019, 10:42:42 PM
And get taken over and then relocated then the big macro can't work out how you made it taste like that then decide to continue brewing right where you were. A fairly nice story. Hoegaarden divides opinion, I like it. Tastes aside, it's well brewed.

What makes "well brewed"? Not a pointed question, just one of a beer enjoyer but not connoisseur.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 18, 2019, 12:07:39 AM
What makes "well brewed"? Not a pointed question, just one of a beer enjoyer but not connoisseur.

Well, all macro beers are "well brewed". You get a Stella in Makati city and it tastes basically the same as one you get in Portsmouth. They're also incredibly consistent because each keg will taste exactly the same as the one you bought 3 years ago - that kind of extreme uniformity is a result of process refinement, and it is what large macro breweries do best. From that angle, process refinement to deliver such a uniform product is a technical marvel.

However, part of that process refinement involves removing (allegedly) extraneous ingredients and other stages that take time and add to the cost associated with shipping the final product. Hi, new brewery; we're glad to have you as part of product portfolio. How do you make [beer]? You have a second stage in the brite tank? Or can only ferment in specific vessels? That increases time and limits quantity, both of which impact the bottom line so they're gone and we'll do primary fermentation at our production facility in [place that isn't your brewery]. You buy hops direct from [local producer]? Expensive - we at MacroBrew have a contract with this farm halfway round the world producing the same variety but it's much cheaper for us so we'll use those instead, though yeah they'll take 6 months to get here so they won't be as fresh and aromatic...

That "refinement" is why beers are different after breweries been taken over. It's unusual for them to stay the same, either in ingredients or process, so the beer changes.

From that perspective, any large brewery makes well-brewed beer, but it won't be the same as it was before they took it over just as a matter of course. It might be better, it's usually worse, it might still be great, but the economies of scale behind the scenes means it will change. I think Shoulders means that the beer is still good even though it has gone through that process refinement (though don't let me speak for you).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Half that.

The other half is, clearly Hoegaarden isn't everyone's favourite, some people dislike its style, Wit. But for the style it has a really effective balance of flavour and a degree of complexity that transference to macro production often smudges out but hasn't here.

In comparison to Blue Moon for example, which is more fashionable but utter gloop.

alan nagsworth

A few of my mates are bang into beers from Clapton Craft and have also really got into sours recently. I can't be fucked whatsoever with sours or chocolate stouts because they're like eating sweets: I can have a few sips but after that I want something way less overpoweringly sweet. The Clapton stuff I've tried is very nice but then I don't have that much of a discerning palate. I will try a bunch of different stuff if I'm in a pub with a good selection but I'm more than happy to go anywhere and settle for Punk IPA or Hop House.

Small cans can get fucked though, especially here in London where venues will sell them for extortionate prices. That Gamma Ray was the only beer on sale at a gig I went to recently and I rolled my eyes when I went to the bar, not least of all when I begrudgingly bought two and was asked to pay £11.60. SIX FUCKING QUID FOR HALF A PINT OF MEDIOCRE BEER. Get absolutely fucked. Get fucked by something as wide as a beer can that leaves you gaping afterwards and for the rest of your life.