Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 17, 2019, 12:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

I heard some Beatles yesterday. Octopuses Garden.

grassbath

a duncandisorderly

BlodwynPig

Quote from: grassbath on October 08, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
Tune!

I understood why people hail them. But i still despise the music.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I know I shouldn't bite, but why on earth were you listening to Octopus's Garden, of all things?

chveik

I've just listened to an episode of Something About The Beatles in which Baskin describes Junk as aptly named. Ho diddly ho. Honestly, what a ridiculous thing to say, it's one of Macca's most beautiful songs.

I'm starting to think that, despite what he claims, he actually is a stubborn contrarian when it comes to Paul McCartney. He gives him a lot of credit when he feels it's due, but he also makes loads of sweepingly dismissive generalisations. Rodriguez sounds understandably narked at times. 

The tension between them can sometimes be entertaining. It's been a lot duller since Buskin left and Rodriguez has run it as his own ego trip.

Oh yes, absolutely. It was always quite funny whenever Buskin took a cheap shot at Macca, and Rodriguez just ignored him.

I'm not some sort of crazed Macca fanboy, by the way, the man has produced acres of drivelling shite in his time, but Buskin is often a bit too harsh in his criticism.

massive bereavement

I can't handle listening to Americans talking about The Beatles anymore than I can bare listening to them talk about 'soccer'. The only thing an American has ever said about The Beatles that's worth hearing is this in 1981, which must have incensed American fans that saw it at the time (it's a minute long).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHndiDyV1Ow

Just tried to listen to the SATB episode about The Monkees. Switched it off after five minutes due to Buskin's ultra-tedious, narrow-minded, ill-informed rockist idiocy. Rodriguez wants to talk about the interesting parallels between the two groups, whereas Buskin just sighs and moans like a big petulant toddler. What a prick.

SteveDave

A journey through shit hair and shitter glasses

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 10, 2019, 09:52:12 AM
Just tried to listen to the SATB episode about The Monkees. Switched it off after five minutes due to Buskin's ultra-tedious, narrow-minded, ill-informed rockist idiocy. Rodriguez wants to talk about the interesting parallels between the two groups, whereas Buskin just sighs and moans like a big petulant toddler. What a prick.

Is there a good Monkees podcast out there?
I find their story far more fascinating than their Scouse betters, and the post-success era is rarely touched on.

Iain Lee is a big Monkees fan. Might be some gems online that he's posted.

Buskin is close pals of Lewisohn but his writing is dire so it does not surprise me that he drones on pointlessly on the podcasts he does.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 08, 2019, 02:16:01 AM
He even rates the dreary Walls and Bridges as a great album, which is madness.

I quite like Walls and Bridges, but I'm not sure it's an opinion I'd expend much energy defending.

Nothing is Real is the only Beatles pod I've been able to stick with. Part one of their Lewisohn interview was very good.

SteveDave

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 10, 2019, 12:31:47 PM
Is there a good Monkees podcast out there?
I find their story far more fascinating than their Scouse betters, and the post-success era is rarely touched on.

There was one called Zilch that I abandoned because the two main hosts kept referring to each other as "Mr (Surname)" and pronounced the word banal to rhyme with anal.

Johnboy

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 10, 2019, 02:46:42 PM
I quite like Walls and Bridges, but I'm not sure it's an opinion I'd expend much energy defending.

Nothing is Real is the only Beatles pod I've been able to stick with. Part one of their Lewisohn interview was very good.

I've dipped my toe into Nothing Is Real with the Lewisohn one and yes, I'll be returning. I like the presenters and that's key to any podcast, I can listen to anything even if i'm only slightly interested if the presenter is decent and I get on with them. If I don't get on with them, I just abandon e.g. Marc Maron who has a lot of guests I'm into but I just can't be listening to him.

massive bereavement

Can't blame any Beatle fan who happened to be in the 7-14 age bracket in 1967 hating The Monkees, which Buskin must have been. His ex-podcast partner got into The Beatles in the 70s, so he can appreciate The Monkees for what they were rather than the group that was going to wipe the unshaven Beatles and their increasingly weird music off the map. I always enjoyed the Monkees repeats as a kid in the 70s and then saw "Head" in my teens which blew me away.

SATB has undoubtedly suffered from the loss of Buskin, there's no balance to it anymore. Still the odd good episode if he has a decent guest but it's not the same.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 10, 2019, 11:39:21 AM

I knew he'd look like that. These types always do.

Quote from: massive bereavement on October 10, 2019, 03:13:33 PM
Can't blame any Beatle fan who happened to be in the 7-14 age bracket in 1967 hating The Monkees, which Buskin must have been.

I know, but you'd think he would've grown out of it by now. Not liking the Monkees' music is fair enough, but he seems unable, or unwilling, to budge from an opinion he formed as a child over 50 years ago. That wouldn't really matter so much if he didn't write and talk about '60s pop music for a living. He's supposed to be some sort of expert. That doesn't mean he has to like The Monkees, but to dismiss them out of hand as unworthy of discussion is crazy.

He just strikes me as a wilfully stubborn, Lennon glasses-wearing rock bore.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 10, 2019, 02:54:12 PM
There was one called Zilch that I abandoned because the two main hosts kept referring to each other as "Mr (Surname)" and pronounced the word banal to rhyme with anal.

I abandoned it for similar reasons, the hosts are too annoying. It's a shame, as Zilch seems to be the only Monkees podcast of note. Iain Lee should pull his finger out and start one up himself.

DrGreggles

You're right, I was just trying to sound reasonable and mature.

That shit-haired, crap Lennon spectacles-wearing cunt encapsulates everything I detest about pompous, stubborn 'real music' pub bores. SO THERE.

marquis_de_sad

On Buskin's website he has a "photos" sections where he calls himself a "professional photographer". I'm not trying to be a dick but they're shite.

SteveDave

gilbertharding

Quote from: SteveDave on October 10, 2019, 11:39:21 AM

That's pretty amazing though. Look at the first one: definitely bald soon.

Then you scroll down, and... he's not any balder. How?

Cardenio I

It's been known. Woody Allen's been "bald soon" for 40+ years:

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 11, 2019, 09:55:48 AM
Then you scroll down, and... he's not any balder. How?

His stubborn refusal to go bald is typical of the man.

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 11, 2019, 10:16:25 AM
It's been known. Woody Allen's been "bald soon" for 40+ years:

Woody Allen's reputation is ruined, and yet he'll go to his grave happy and secure in the knowledge that he miraculously defied baldness.

He keeps some hair on his head but expects his girlfriends to have no hair downstairs, the double standards prick