Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 17, 2019, 12:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cardenio I on October 11, 2019, 10:16:25 AM
It's been known. Woody Allen's been "bald soon" for 40+ years:

Perhaps if he'd gone bald he would still be making films that were funny.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Cardenio I

gilbertharding

SteveDave

The new Beatles Naked podcast (formerly Swinging Through The 60s) is about Paul's post-Beatles depression. I'm looking forward to Buskin being more of a dick than usual.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 16, 2019, 06:45:51 PM
The new Beatles Naked podcast (formerly Swinging Through The 60s) is about Paul's post-Beatles depression. I'm looking forward to Buskin being more of a dick than usual.

I'll have to listen to that now, as I'm a masochist with too much free time on his hands.

EDIT: Ten minutes in and he's just described Dear Boy as "weak". I think there might actually be something wrong with him.

ajsmith2

I was kind of disappointed that the Swinging through the Sixties podcast reverted back into being a Beatles pod, as there's tons of them already and Buskin pretty much covered most of what he had to say about them in the 100 plus Something About the Beatles he did. A music orientated podcast about the Sixties in general fronted by such knowledgeable bods as him and Erik Taos seemed to have a lot more potential and would be making lemonade out of the unfortunate Buskin/Rodriguez severed alliance lemon, and in a few episodes (like the Profumo scandal one) they showed they could have made it something special, but they kept going back to doing Beatles episodes then tended to rake over ground already covered in SATB until here they are just throwing their hands up and reverting to type. I'm not arsed with it anymore.

You know what I'd really like to hear? A SATB style in-depth podcast about The Kinks. I'd do it myself but I have no audio recording skills or a similarly invested pal (transatlantic or not) to bounce off. Seriously, if this sounds like a good idea to anyone, my PMs are open.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 17, 2019, 01:09:40 PM
I was kind of disappointed that the Swinging through the Sixties podcast reverted back into being a Beatles pod, as there's tons of them already and Buskin pretty much covered most of what he had to say about them in the 100 plus Something About the Beatles he did. A music orientated podcast about the Sixties in general fronted by such knowledgeable bods as him and Erik Taos seemed to have a lot more potential and would be making lemonade out of the unfortunate Buskin/Rodriguez severed alliance lemon, and in a few episodes (like the Profumo scandal one) they showed they could have made it something special, but they kept going back to doing Beatles episodes then tended to rake over ground already covered in SATB until here they are just throwing their hands up and reverting to type. I'm not arsed with it anymore.

Yeah, it's a shame. As much as Buskin annoys me sometimes, he can still be quite an insightful critic of '60s pop. A podcast dedicated to that fecund subject is a good idea, they were on to a potential winner, so I've no idea why they've decided to forego that in favour of Just Another Beatles Podcast. Laziness, I suppose.

Anyway, I could only withstand 20 minutes of the episode mentioned by SteveDave earlier. Buskin sniping at Macca is just so utterly tiresome. I sacked it off for an episode of Nothing Is Real instead, which is so much better. The hosts aren't annoying, they know their fabonions and I enjoy listening to their opinions. That's really all you could ask for from a Beatles podcast.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 17, 2019, 01:35:55 AM
Lewisohn - 'Nothing Is Real Part 2' - scathing about Apple trying to sabotage his research:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-42uqe-6f6e4ff?utm_campaign=i_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=i_share

What is Apple's problem? Lewisohn isn't a salacious writer, he's trying to present the most detailed and factually accurate account of the Beatles saga. I guess they resent the very idea of an outsider tampering with their carefully curated 'brand management', but unless they're hiding the minutes of a meeting in which Ringo boasted about murdering kittens with his bare hands, I really don't see the point of blocking Lewisohn.

studpuppet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 17, 2019, 05:25:59 PM
What is Apple's problem?

I think there are two sides to this, but we only get one side of it aired. I've heard Lewisohn interviewed more than a couple of times, and each time I've been left with a 'feeling' that although he seems an affable, genuine character, there's something underlying his manner that seems to rub people up the wrong way. You sometimes hear it in his 'jokey' self-effacing answers that somehow leave me feeling that they aren't jokey or self-effacing at all.
To bar him from archives etc is a silly thing to do, but I think it might be more to do with personal animosity rather than brand management. I obviously could be totally wrong though!

DrGreggles

Finally giving Nothing Is Real a go and... it's great!
Done 6 episodes already.
Having likeable hosts who are aware enough not to mistake their opinion for fact really helps.

grassbath

I seem to remember reading that George Martin and his wife weren't big fans of Lewisohn either.

Panbaams

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 17, 2019, 01:35:55 AM
Lewisohn - 'Nothing Is Real Part 2' - scathing about Apple trying to sabotage his research:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-42uqe-6f6e4ff?utm_campaign=i_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=i_share

Hey, thanks for the tip on this.

I've Got A Beatles Podcast is a bad name for a show but it usually makes for a decent listen.

jake thunder

Quote from: grassbath on October 17, 2019, 10:36:36 PM
I seem to remember reading that George Martin and his wife weren't big fans of Lewisohn either.

Yeah, think Harrison thought he was tea leafing and bootlegging shit.

Harrison accused Lewisohn of bootlegging to his face in front of several witnesses. Shitty to do with no proof.

Olivia is carrying on that animosity and is clearly the person behind the archival blocks Lewisohn describes. Another motive she may have is the sheer amount of shagging around that George did, which goes against his saintly image.

With George Martin, well, Lewisohn exposed the fact that he only signed The Beatles because his affair had weakened his bargaining position relative to EMI's publishers, who wanted Lennon & McCartney's copyrights. And he's been the most vocal on how Martin's story about how Abbey Road was supposed to be "one last album, like the old days" is also bullshit.

Quote from: studpuppet on October 17, 2019, 10:20:31 PM
I think there are two sides to this, but we only get one side of it aired. I've heard Lewisohn interviewed more than a couple of times, and each time I've been left with a 'feeling' that although he seems an affable, genuine character, there's something underlying his manner that seems to rub people up the wrong way. You sometimes hear it in his 'jokey' self-effacing answers that somehow leave me feeling that they aren't jokey or self-effacing at all.
To bar him from archives etc is a silly thing to do, but I think it might be more to do with personal animosity rather than brand management. I obviously could be totally wrong though!

I know what you mean. He seems nice enough, albeit with a prickly undercurrent. Then again, that prickliness could've been triggered by the fact that Apple won't cooperate with him for spurious reasons.

As Satchmo says, Harrison somehow came to the conclusion that Lewisohn was a money-grabbing bootlegger, which is presumably bollocks, and Martin must've been irked by the affair revelation. It's all a bit petty and daft, though.

studpuppet

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 18, 2019, 02:40:25 PM
Harrison accused Lewisohn of bootlegging to his face in front of several witnesses. Shitty to do with no proof.

Olivia is carrying on that animosity and is clearly the person behind the archival blocks Lewisohn describes. Another motive she may have is the sheer amount of shagging around that George did, which goes against his saintly image.

With George Martin, well, Lewisohn exposed the fact that he only signed The Beatles because his affair had weakened his bargaining position relative to EMI's publishers, who wanted Lennon & McCartney's copyrights. And he's been the most vocal on how Martin's story about how Abbey Road was supposed to be "one last album, like the old days" is also bullshit.

I'm not disputing any of this - I'm sure you're 95-100% right!

I just find that his explanations are as 'managed' as Apple's silence - he always picks his words very carefully when the topic comes up, presumably because he'd like to get his feet under the table again, especially as Neil dying may have ruined his chances. I keep wondering if it'll be the archival equivalent of Savile, where after he dies they'll find hoards of half-inched EMI documents and master tapes underneath his bed. Bet his house looks like THIS.

EDIT: Yes, it is all petty and daft, especially as Lewisohn is their best chance of 'warts-and-all being presented in a sympathetic manner.

massive bereavement

From memory, the bootlegs George accused Lewisohn of leaking were "Ultra Rare Tracks", they were sourced from DJ Roger Scott who'd been hanging on to them since the public were invited into Abbey Road to hear a selection of session tapes played in the studio (this was circa 1983), the guy who'd been cataloguing the tapes died around that time, Scott had made copies of this guy's own cassette dubs and then leaked them after Lewisohn's sessions book came out, so many people - not just George - assumed it was Lewisohn. Scott too died very soon afterwards (within 18 months).

New episode of I Am The Eggpod, featuring Iain Lee yakking about Macca's Memory Almost Full.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7407375-memory-almost-full-iain-lee

thugler

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 29, 2019, 11:26:34 PM
New episode of I Am The Eggpod, featuring Iain Lee yakking about Macca's Memory Almost Full.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7407375-memory-almost-full-iain-lee

I really enjoy this pod.. Memory almost full seems a bit naff! I'm enjoying hearing about the solo records i knew nothing about.

grassbath

Memory Almost Full ain't that bad - some of his stronger late period songs on there ('Ever Present Past,' 'You Tell Me', 'House of Wax'), plus one of his greatest recorded bass performances on 'See My Sunshine.' Its in serious need of a remaster though.

Cardenio I

Listened to that this morning, thought it was good. Looking forward to them talking about the rest of McCartney II, cos I fuckin love that album.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 10, 2019, 02:54:12 PM
There was one called Zilch that I abandoned because the two main hosts kept referring to each other as "Mr (Surname)" and pronounced the word banal to rhyme with anal.

Zilch, the Monkees podcast, is far too chummy and blandly non-critical for the most part, presumably because they're quite tight with Andrew Sandoval and the rest of the Monkees camp. Still, the upside of that is their access to Dolenz and Nesmith, who've both appeared as guests on the show.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pop-staff/zilcha-monkees-podcast/e/50360634?autoplay=true

https://player.fm/series/zilcha-monkees-podcast/zilch-100-michael-nesmith-zilch-interview

And here they are chatting to that man again, Iain Lee.

http://zilchmonkeescast.blogspot.com/2016/10/zilch-sits-down-with-iain-lee-glenn.html

Sorry, I'm veering off topic here, but I don't think a Monkees podcasts thread will gain much traction. These links might be of some interest to you lot, though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 30, 2019, 11:22:03 PM
I don't think a Monkees podcasts thread will gain much traction.

A generic Monkees love-in thread will have to do.

They tend to peter (Tork) out, but we've had a few in the past...

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52253.0 (Ooh, I started that one!)

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,12040.0/nowap.html (And this one! Fifteen years on CaB, folks, and I'm still banging on about the same old shit).

EDIT: God, my use of punctuation was all over the place in 2006. I hope to God I never actually wrote like that professionally. Just chilling out conversationally for CaB, that's what I must tell myself. Maybe I was drunk. So young and carefree in those days.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: studpuppet on October 18, 2019, 04:02:40 PM
I'm not disputing any of this - I'm sure you're 95-100% right!

I just find that his explanations are as 'managed' as Apple's silence - he always picks his words very carefully when the topic comes up, presumably because he'd like to get his feet under the table again, especially as Neil dying may have ruined his chances. I keep wondering if it'll be the archival equivalent of Savile, where after he dies they'll find hoards of half-inched EMI documents and master tapes underneath his bed. Bet his house looks like THIS.

EDIT: Yes, it is all petty and daft, especially as Lewisohn is their best chance of 'warts-and-all being presented in a sympathetic manner.

Must be pretty infuriating to go from working with a band he's loved for years, contributing to their first single in 25 years among many other things, to being frozen out and his crowning achievement sure to widen the gap with each volume?

Apple have been petty with, for example, the removal of his name from the liner notes of Past Masters and you can be sure his name will be nowhere near that Free As A Bird/Real Love 7" in this new singles box, which must really sting, but nowhere near as much as then simply sabotaging his research now.

To go back to bit I put in bold there, given he mentions Apple's later policy of keeping disagreements private, I'm surprised at how open he's been about it in public if anything, however justified his comments are.

For someone who would obviously love to have stayed in Apple's good books (not just for research purposes) you'd think he would steer clear of outright calling George Harrison a bastard he should have done for slander on Let It Be Beatles then tearing into Apple on Nothing Is Real*. Again, justified, but when you're being frozen out for presumably no other reason than to continue a dead man's unfounded grudge, why hand them another excuse to make sure you never get a look in again?

*to get back to the subject of podcasts, Nothing Is Real has an infuriating theme tune. Don't know why it gets on my nerves so much but it gets stuck in my head on a loop.

I think he knows he's out of Apple's favour permanently. No point holding back his feelings now.